    did a quick check for them and didn't see it, although it was probably
    glaring back at me.

    It's a model 200ARC.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 3, 2005

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    SgtMinor Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > Got a relative with a nearly new Gateway laptop. The display is somewhat
    > dim when they use it inside. But today they're trying to use it in an
    > outdoor environment and it's WAY too dark to use. Isn't there supposed
    > to be a function key or key combination to bring up the brightness? I
    > did a quick check for them and didn't see it, although it was probably
    > glaring back at me.
    >
    > It's a model 200ARC.

    On some Gateways it's the Fn F8 key combo. (Fn F7 to decrease.)

    SgtMinor, Sep 3, 2005

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Toolman Tim Guest

    SgtMinor wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> Got a relative with a nearly new Gateway laptop. The display is
    >> somewhat dim when they use it inside. But today they're trying to
    >> use it in an outdoor environment and it's WAY too dark to use. Isn't
    >> there supposed to be a function key or key combination to bring up
    >> the brightness? I did a quick check for them and didn't see it,
    >> although it was probably glaring back at me.
    >>
    >> It's a model 200ARC.

    > On some Gateways it's the Fn F8 key combo. (Fn F7 to decrease.)

    Also, many laptops auto-dim on batteries to save power. Rôgêr didn't say if
    it was plugged in or not.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > SgtMinor wrote:
    >
    >>Rôgêr wrote:
    >>

    >>>Got a relative with a nearly new Gateway laptop. The display is
    >>>somewhat dim when they use it inside. But today they're trying to
    >>>use it in an outdoor environment and it's WAY too dark to use. Isn't
    >>>there supposed to be a function key or key combination to bring up
    >>>the brightness? I did a quick check for them and didn't see it,
    >>>although it was probably glaring back at me.
    >>>
    >>>It's a model 200ARC.

    >>On some Gateways it's the Fn F8 key combo. (Fn F7 to decrease.)

    > Also, many laptops auto-dim on batteries to save power. Rôgêr didn't say if
    > it was plugged in or not.

    It could be, but wan't the way they were trying it. Can you go into
    Power Manglement and fix it to be bright even if it's not plugged in?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 3, 2005
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    SgtMinor Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > SgtMinor wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:
    >>
    >>> Got a relative with a nearly new Gateway laptop. The display is
    >>> somewhat dim when they use it inside. But today they're trying to
    >>> use it in an outdoor environment and it's WAY too dark to use. Isn't
    >>> there supposed to be a function key or key combination to bring up
    >>> the brightness? I did a quick check for them and didn't see it,
    >>> although it was probably glaring back at me.
    >>>
    >>> It's a model 200ARC.

    >> On some Gateways it's the Fn F8 key combo. (Fn F7 to decrease.)

    > Also, many laptops auto-dim on batteries to save power. Rôgêr didn't say if
    > it was plugged in or not.

    Maybe Rôgêr's auto-dim function kicked in too.

    SgtMinor, Sep 3, 2005
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> SgtMinor wrote:

    >>> On some Gateways it's the Fn F8 key combo. (Fn F7 to decrease.)

    >> Also, many laptops auto-dim on batteries to save power. Rôgêr didn't
    >> say if it was plugged in or not.
    >>

    > It could be, but wan't the way they were trying it. Can you go into
    > Power Manglement and fix it to be bright even if it's not plugged in?

    Probably not in power management, but maybe in the BIOS settings. At least,
    that's how the Dell I used was. Also, there may be configuration utilities
    installed, although not as likely.

    I would guess that the keyboard Fn combination is possibly the only place
    you can set the brightness. Usually, it's indicated by a small 'sun' type
    icon on a function key. On my Sony, I use the Fn-F5 to increase brightness,
    and Shift-Fn-F5 to decrease.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005
  7. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Got a relative with a nearly new Gateway laptop. The display is somewhat
    > dim when they use it inside. But today they're trying to use it in an
    > outdoor environment and it's WAY too dark to use. Isn't there supposed
    > to be a function key or key combination to bring up the brightness? I
    > did a quick check for them and didn't see it, although it was probably
    > glaring back at me.
    >
    > It's a model 200ARC.

    Borrowed the computer a little longer and found the key combination,
    it's obvious now that I know what it is. Thanks for the assist guys.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 3, 2005
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    willis100

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Just to add, that combination is Fn and the up and down arrows.

    willis100, Nov 10, 2007