    Is this fixable? Her laptop is 3 years old.

    TIA

    , Sep 27, 2004

  2. Freddy Guest

    I presume she hasn't dimmed the screen.
    Make sure brightness is set high.

    Freddy, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Ray Guest

    Check the BIOS. There's settings in there that you can adjust the screen
    brightness whether it's plugged in A/C power or if it's running off of
    battery power. You can also try adjusting the brightness when the computer
    is on by pressing the "FN" button plus the brightness one. I'm not sure
    which one it is on the Inspiron but look for button that has what looks like
    a blue cog wheel.

    Ray, Sep 27, 2004
  4. foolinyu Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > A friend of mine wants to know what is the cause of her Dell laptop
    > going dark with a barely visible display in the background.
    >
    > She descirbes it as if someone had turn off the light in her screen.
    > The screen is extremely faint but not totally black.
    >
    > Is this fixable? Her laptop is 3 years old.
    >
    > TIA

    Could be the circuit boad (or a loose connection or broken wire from this
    circuit board to the monitor) for the backlid light is bad.

    foolinyu, Sep 27, 2004
  5. cuppycakes2100

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    hi im chris i own the same dell inspion 8100 and so does my friend but he and i have that same problem it is not the bios it is a defect in the screen like if you bump it it cuts off all you need to do is close the lid for like 5sec and open it again and it works... im on mine right now so yea its not a real problem for me (unless im in game than it sucks!) lol so its not the bios or brightness control

    cuppycakes2100, Jul 22, 2007