    I'm a newbie at this and never had a DVD player before (except for the
    one in my PC)...

    Thanks in Advance!

    RAGS Online, Nov 26, 2003

  2. >I live in the USA and a friend of mine will record a TV series in
    >Spain for me. Will I be able to play them on my Sony Vaio computer?
    >
    >I'm a newbie at this and never had a DVD player before (except for the
    >one in my PC)...
    >
    >Thanks in Advance!

    Your computer will be able to play both NTSC and PAL, so I'm sure you will be
    able to play the DVDs.

    Remove "moc" to reply.

    Whoever says "Nothing is impossible" has never tried to slam a
    revolving door.
    - Willy Walker

    Sydney Assbasket, Nov 26, 2003

  3. RAGS Online

    Spam Buster Guest

    "RAGS Online" <> wrote in message
    | I live in the USA and a friend of mine will record a TV series in
    | Spain for me. Will I be able to play them on my Sony Vaio computer?
    |
    | I'm a newbie at this and never had a DVD player before (except for the
    | one in my PC)...

    Yes, they will play without a problem. They will even play in most US
    stand-alone players.

    SB

    Spam Buster, Nov 26, 2003
  4. Spam Buster wrote:

    > "RAGS Online" <> wrote in message
    > | I live in the USA and a friend of mine will record a TV series in
    > | Spain for me. Will I be able to play them on my Sony Vaio computer?
    > |
    > | I'm a newbie at this and never had a DVD player before (except for the
    > | one in my PC)...
    > |

    > Yes, they will play without a problem. They will even play in most US
    > stand-alone players.
    >

    > SB

    Oh, you're mean.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 26, 2003
  5. RAGS Online

    Spam Buster Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    | Spam Buster wrote:
    |
    | > "RAGS Online" <> wrote in message
    | > | I live in the USA and a friend of mine will record a TV series in
    | > | Spain for me. Will I be able to play them on my Sony Vaio computer?
    | > |
    | > | I'm a newbie at this and never had a DVD player before (except for the
    | > | one in my PC)...
    | > |

    | > Yes, they will play without a problem. They will even play in most US
    | > stand-alone players.
    | >

    | > SB
    | >

    | Oh, you're mean.

    And why is that?

    SB

    Spam Buster, Nov 27, 2003
  6. RAGS Online

    RAGS Online Guest

    Yeah, WHY!?

    RAGS Online, Nov 29, 2003
  7. RAGS Online

    Quadaphile Guest

    >Yeah, WHY!?

    I think the reason he said that poster was mean is because they won't play in
    most U.S. dvd players. Well, actually they will, but they won't play on most
    U.S. tv sets due to the differences between ntsc and pal.

    so the poster didn't lie. He told the truth when he said they would play on
    most U.S. dvd players. But he didn't say that they won't play on most U.S. tv
    sets. Therefore, MEAN!!!

    Quadaphile, Nov 29, 2003
  8. On 29 Nov 2003 05:11:30 GMT, (Quadaphile)
    wrote:

    >>Yeah, WHY!?

    >I think the reason he said that poster was mean is because they won't play in
    >most U.S. dvd players. Well, actually they will, but they won't play on most
    >U.S. tv sets due to the differences between ntsc and pal.
    >
    >so the poster didn't lie. He told the truth when he said they would play on
    >most U.S. dvd players. But he didn't say that they won't play on most U.S. tv
    >sets. Therefore, MEAN!!!

    Many DVD players, especially cheap Taiwanese and Korean models, will
    in fact output to a different standard than the DVD. Most Apex
    players will play a PAL DVD as an NTSC output, and vice-versa, though
    the aspect ratio of the picture is distorted. This capability is
    actually within the decoding chips and video jungle chips commonly
    used, and just has to be turned on by the manufacturer. As for playing
    DVD's from a different region, that's a whole other matter.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Nov 29, 2003
  9. RAGS Online

    RAGS Online Guest

    One last question. How difficult is it to find "zone free" DVD players
    offline? I haven't seen them anywhere except for Ebay and another
    website based in the UK.

    RAGS Online, Nov 30, 2003
  10. RAGS Online

    Guest

    On 30 Nov 2003 12:47:33 -0800, (RAGS Online) wrote:

    >One last question. How difficult is it to find "zone free" DVD players
    >offline? I haven't seen them anywhere except for Ebay and another
    >website based in the UK.

    www.planet3000.com

    , Nov 30, 2003
  11. RAGS Online

    RAGS Online Guest

    I just had a simple question and you plug your website. Thanks! :)

    RAGS Online, Dec 1, 2003
  12. Seems like a pretty straight-forward reply to your question.

    Ralph J. Grossi, Dec 1, 2003
  13. RAGS Online

    RAGS Online Guest

    Ralph:

    > Seems like a pretty straight-forward reply to your question.

    Heck yeah Ralph! :)

    RAGS Online, Dec 2, 2003
  14. RAGS Online

    $ecret $am Guest

    On 25 Nov 2003 16:35:11 -0800, (RAGS Online) wrote:

    >I live in the USA and a friend of mine will record a TV series in
    >Spain for me. Will I be able to play them on my Sony Vaio computer?
    >
    >I'm a newbie at this and never had a DVD player before (except for the
    >one in my PC)...
    >
    >Thanks in Advance!

    Go to Wal-Mart and get a Norcent DP-300 for $50. Go here:

    www.dvdrhelp.com

    and find the players hack list and make your new $50 player region
    free...

    $$

    $ecret $am, Dec 2, 2003
  15. RAGS Online

    Camper Guest

    Except he did specify offline!

    Camper, Dec 2, 2003
  16. RAGS Online

    Rob Guest

    > Yes, they will play without a problem. They will even play in most US
    stand-alone players.

    That is not a true statement, hence the "meanness".

    Rob, Dec 2, 2003
  17. RAGS Online

    Jenn Guest

    I purchased a multiregion dvd player at circuit city last week. its
    called the amphion s99 or the AMW (amphion media works) s99. It is
    regular price of $39 and can be purchased on line. There is a
    sequence of numbers you can punch in via the remote control to change
    it to region free or to a specific region.

    i collect a lot of my favorite stuff in PAL format, so this player has
    been a great back up to my apex ad 1500

    Jenn, Dec 2, 2003
  18. RAGS Online

    RAGS Online Guest

    Thanks a lot for replies everyone! There are Wal-mart, circuit city
    and Best Buy stores in my town but my real question was about DVD
    recorders.

    I would like to find a zone free DVD recorder OFFLINE...and I still
    cannot find one.

    One last question. Suppose I record a live TV program using a zone
    free DVD recorder and send the disc to China. Would the disc be
    playable there or in any other part of the world???

    Do all DVD recorders give the option to record with no region lock
    protection?

    RAGS Online, Dec 5, 2003
  19. RAGS Online

    Camper Guest

    > Thanks a lot for replies everyone! There are Wal-mart, circuit city
    > and Best Buy stores in my town but my real question was about DVD
    > recorders.
    >
    > I would like to find a zone free DVD recorder OFFLINE...and I still
    > cannot find one.
    >
    > One last question. Suppose I record a live TV program using a zone
    > free DVD recorder and send the disc to China. Would the disc be
    > playable there or in any other part of the world???
    >
    > Do all DVD recorders give the option to record with no region lock
    > protection?

    Most cheaper ones can be unlocked with a code which you enter. Some shop
    staff are kind enough to provide the code when you purchase it. Query the
    shop staff.

    Camper, Dec 7, 2003
  20. RAGS Online

    Big and Blue Guest

    RAGS Online wrote:

    > I would like to find a zone free DVD recorder OFFLINE...and I still
    > cannot find one.

    Is that zone-free recording, or zone-free playback?

    I have a JVC DRM1. It is set to zone 2 for playback, but what it
    *records* is zone 0.

    --
    -*- Just because I've written it here doesn't -*-
    -*- mean that you should, or I do, believe it. -*-

    Big and Blue, Jan 3, 2004