dilemma: buy a canon a95 now or wait for a better one

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by name, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. name

    name Guest

    Hello.

    My main priorities for buying a new camera is having a swivel lens or
    LCD display and the camera has to work on AA batteries.
    I also like the LCD screen to be at least 1.8" and I prefer cameras
    with a good optical zoom capability (at least 3x optical zoom).
    Anything above 3 megapixels is fine, although 5 megapixels or more is
    preferred.
    CF is also preferred instead of SD, but both memory types are
    acceptable.

    I was thinking of buying a canon A95 since it satisfies my primary
    concerns (runs on AA batteries and has a swivel display) and seems to
    get overwhelmingly positive reviews.
    However, I'm not very satisfied with the 3x optical zoom.
    I'd love to have a camera with 12x zoom (like the panasonic lumix
    f710) and image stabilizer and I would be willing to spend more money
    on a camera, provided it runs on AA batteries and offers a swivel lens
    or display.
    The sony f828 is the only one that comes close with more optical zoom
    (7x) because it has a swivel lens but it still employs a proprietary
    lithium ion accu.

    I've used a casio QV-8000SX extensively in the past and I'm very
    satisfied with its features (particularly the swivel lens and the fact
    that it runs on AA batteries). I'm also puzzled why casio seems to
    have abandoned their swivel lens camera series. I also have a minolta
    dimage Xi and an extra accu costs 55 euros, while I pay only 18 euros
    for 4 x NiMH AA which seem to outperform the shitty lithium-ion accu
    by far.
    So I've learned my lesson well to stay away from proprietary
    lithium-ion accus.

    Now I was wondering if there are any cameras expected to be released
    in the near future that would be worth considering, given my concerns
    based on previous experience with digital cameras (casio qv8000sx and
    minolta dimage xi).
    I'm also interested in other cameras currently on the market that
    might have eluded my attention but satisfy my constraints.

    Thanks in advance for any feedback on these questions/ideas, kind
    regards, Niek
    name, Nov 9, 2004

  2. name

    tomcas Guest

    name wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > My main priorities for buying a new camera is having a swivel lens or
    > LCD display and the camera has to work on AA batteries.
    > I also like the LCD screen to be at least 1.8" and I prefer cameras
    > with a good optical zoom capability (at least 3x optical zoom).
    > Anything above 3 megapixels is fine, although 5 megapixels or more is
    > preferred.
    > CF is also preferred instead of SD, but both memory types are
    > acceptable.
    >
    > I was thinking of buying a canon A95 since it satisfies my primary
    > concerns (runs on AA batteries and has a swivel display) and seems to
    > get overwhelmingly positive reviews.
    > However, I'm not very satisfied with the 3x optical zoom.
    > I'd love to have a camera with 12x zoom (like the panasonic lumix
    > f710) and image stabilizer and I would be willing to spend more money
    > on a camera, provided it runs on AA batteries and offers a swivel lens
    > or display.
    > The sony f828 is the only one that comes close with more optical zoom
    > (7x) because it has a swivel lens but it still employs a proprietary
    > lithium ion accu.
    >
    > I've used a casio QV-8000SX extensively in the past and I'm very
    > satisfied with its features (particularly the swivel lens and the fact
    > that it runs on AA batteries). I'm also puzzled why casio seems to
    > have abandoned their swivel lens camera series. I also have a minolta
    > dimage Xi and an extra accu costs 55 euros, while I pay only 18 euros
    > for 4 x NiMH AA which seem to outperform the shitty lithium-ion accu
    > by far.
    > So I've learned my lesson well to stay away from proprietary
    > lithium-ion accus.
    >
    > Now I was wondering if there are any cameras expected to be released
    > in the near future that would be worth considering, given my concerns
    > based on previous experience with digital cameras (casio qv8000sx and
    > minolta dimage xi).
    > I'm also interested in other cameras currently on the market that
    > might have eluded my attention but satisfy my constraints.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any feedback on these questions/ideas, kind
    > regards, Niek

    Have you checked out the Canon S1?
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html
    tomcas, Nov 9, 2004

  3. name

    name Guest

    tomcas <> wrote in message news:<9U1kd.49840$>...
    >[..]
    > Have you checked out the Canon S1?
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

    Yes, I've noticed that one. It also looks very interesting but the
    display is a bit small (1.5 ") and it is only 3 megapixels.
    But 10 times zoom is great and it also has image stabalization and
    runs on AA
    batteries.
    If there was a new model with 4 or 5 megapixels and a 1.8" or larger
    screen (like on the canon powershot a95) it would definitely be very
    appealing to me.
    name, Nov 9, 2004
  4. name wrote:
    []
    > If there was a new model with 4 or 5 megapixels and a 1.8" or larger
    > screen (like on the canon powershot a95) it would definitely be very
    > appealing to me.

    Panasonic FZ20 or similar?

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 9, 2004
  5. name

    name Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > name wrote:
    > []
    > > If there was a new model with 4 or 5 megapixels and a 1.8" or larger
    > > screen (like on the canon powershot a95) it would definitely be very
    > > appealing to me.

    > Panasonic FZ20 or similar?
    >
    > David

    It looks very interesting with 12x zoom (and image stabilization) and
    5 megapixels but I will never buy a camera with a proprietary
    lithium-ion again
    and I insist on buying a camera with a swiveling lens or display (like
    on the canon powershot a95 or the canon powershot s1).
    name, Nov 10, 2004
  6. name

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "name" <> wrote in message
    > have abandoned their swivel lens camera series. I also have a minolta
    > dimage Xi and an extra accu costs 55 euros, while I pay only 18 euros
    > for 4 x NiMH AA which seem to outperform the shitty lithium-ion accu
    > by far.
    > So I've learned my lesson well to stay away from proprietary
    > lithium-ion accus.

    You're absolutely right. Unfortunately however, the LiON batteries
    have a higher energy density. Many camera manufacturers use them
    because they allow the cameras to be smaller and lighter.

    I hate proprietary batteries but I want a small, lightweight camera
    and will have to resign myself to them.

    > Now I was wondering if there are any cameras expected to be released
    > in the near future that would be worth considering, given my concerns
    > based on previous experience with digital cameras (casio qv8000sx and
    > minolta dimage xi).

    It is the nature of electronics that, the day after you buy a
    (camera, computer, PDA, cell phone - pick one) a new model
    will be introduced that is (faster, better, cheaper - pick two).

    If you are lucky, you will go a few days or weeks before you
    see an announcement of something better than what you bought.

    But what can you do? If you need a camera now, you'll have
    to pick from what's available. If you don't need it now, wait
    until you need one.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Nov 10, 2004
  7. Standard Li-Ion batteries (was:Re: dilemma: buy a canon a95 now or wait for a better one)

    Alan Meyer wrote:
    []
    >> So I've learned my lesson well to stay away from proprietary
    >> lithium-ion accus.

    > You're absolutely right. Unfortunately however, the LiON batteries
    > have a higher energy density. Many camera manufacturers use them
    > because they allow the cameras to be smaller and lighter.
    >
    > I hate proprietary batteries but I want a small, lightweight camera
    > and will have to resign myself to them.

    So why doesn't one of the campaigning consumer rights types take up this
    issue?

    Let's go for:

    - one standard size of 7.4V 700mAH which will fit a wide range of digital
    cameras and which can be bought at the high street store. Aim price GBP
    10 or USD 15. Insist that camera manufacturers make cameras that accept
    this new standard.

    OK, it won't happen tomorrow, and perhaps there needs to be an 1100/1400
    mAH standard as well.

    "We want standard Lion batteries for our cameras!"

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 10, 2004
  8. Re: Standard Li-Ion batteries (was:Re: dilemma: buy a canon a95 now orwait for a better one)

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > Alan Meyer wrote:
    > []
    > >> So I've learned my lesson well to stay away from proprietary
    > >> lithium-ion accus.

    > > You're absolutely right. Unfortunately however, the LiON batteries
    > > have a higher energy density. Many camera manufacturers use them
    > > because they allow the cameras to be smaller and lighter.
    > >
    > > I hate proprietary batteries but I want a small, lightweight camera
    > > and will have to resign myself to them.

    > So why doesn't one of the campaigning consumer rights types take up this
    > issue?
    >
    > Let's go for:
    >
    > - one standard size of 7.4V 700mAH which will fit a wide range of digital
    > cameras and which can be bought at the high street store. Aim price GBP
    > 10 or USD 15. Insist that camera manufacturers make cameras that accept
    > this new standard.
    >
    > OK, it won't happen tomorrow, and perhaps there needs to be an 1100/1400
    > mAH standard as well.
    >
    > "We want standard Lion batteries for our cameras!"
    >
    > David

    Standardization would be great but why only 700 mAh (by the way it is
    mAh Not mAH)? I bought spare 1000 mAh batteries for my Nikon
    (original rated at 680 mAh) for $13.
    George E. Cawthon, Nov 10, 2004
  9. Re: Standard Li-Ion batteries

    George E. Cawthon wrote:
    []
    >> Let's go for:
    >>
    >> - one standard size of 7.4V 700mAH which will fit a wide range of
    >> digital cameras and which can be bought at the high street store.
    >> Aim price GBP 10 or USD 15. Insist that camera manufacturers make
    >> cameras that accept this new standard.
    >>
    >> OK, it won't happen tomorrow, and perhaps there needs to be an
    >> 1100/1400 mAH standard as well.
    >>
    >> "We want standard Lion batteries for our cameras!"
    >>
    >> David

    > Standardization would be great but why only 700 mAh (by the way it is
    > mAh Not mAH)? I bought spare 1000 mAh batteries for my Nikon
    > (original rated at 680 mAh) for $13.

    Oh, 700mAh was just a starting point, as that you suit Nikon 5400, 5700,
    Panasonic FZ20 etc (i.e. the ones I have access to!). Perhaps we should
    have a log scale? 700mAh, 1000mAh, 1400mAh, 2000mAh etc.

    Sorry about the "H" - I tend to think of diminutive prefixes as lower
    case and magnifying prefixes as upper case. That left the "H" to be
    associated with the "A". There was Mr Ampere, but no Mr. Hour!

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 11, 2004
  10. name

    Alan Meyer Guest

    Re: Standard Li-Ion batteries (was:Re: dilemma: buy a canon a95 now or wait for a better one)

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "We want standard Lion batteries for our cameras!"

    You've got my vote.

    And while we're at it, we want standard batteries for laptop
    computers and cell phones.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Nov 11, 2004
  11. name

    Big Bill Guest

    Re: Standard Li-Ion batteries (was:Re: dilemma: buy a canon a95 now or wait for a better one)

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:51:50 -0500, "Alan Meyer" <>
    wrote:

    >"David J Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> "We want standard Lion batteries for our cameras!"

    >You've got my vote.
    >
    >And while we're at it, we want standard batteries for laptop
    >computers and cell phones.
    >
    > Alan

    And you want some governmental agency to do this (you must, because
    there's no trade organisation that will).
    Not only is that restraint of trade, but it will give the government
    the idea that (in the consumers' interest, of course) it must then
    determine which camera features must be included in a camera model,
    and then (to reduce confusion) limit the number of different models.
    I much prefer the current situation.
    :)

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"