    Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.

    Thanks,

    Sky

    Skylamar Jones, Aug 2, 2010

  2. Skylamar Jones

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 02/08/2010 09:04, Skylamar Jones wrote:
    > Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
    > question recently.
    >
    > My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
    > the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
    > them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
    >
    > She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
    > cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
    > is more than my mom wants to spend.
    >
    > I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
    > digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
    > Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.

    Digitizing slides at home is extremely labor intensive, unless you have
    one of these very expensive Nikon scanners with all their expensive
    options that make it just plain labor intensive.

    I'm facing the very same problem (except I'd be the one doing the
    scanning) but I'm taking another route: reduce my Dad's 3000 slides to a
    set of 100-200 worth passing to the next generations.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 2, 2010

  3. Skylamar Jones

    MG Guest

    "Skylamar Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
    > question recently.
    >
    > My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
    > the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
    > them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
    >
    > She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
    > cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
    > is more than my mom wants to spend.
    >
    > I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
    > digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
    > Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sky

    Here is a DIY approach. (costs nothing)
    http://www.blighty.co.za/brsd/
    Probably not for your Mom, but maybe you could do it for her.

    Then you could have a select few properly scanned if you want large prints,
    etc.

    MG

    MG, Aug 2, 2010
  4. Skylamar Jones

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Skylamar Jones wrote:

    > Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
    > question recently.
    >
    > My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
    > the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
    > them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
    >
    > She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
    > cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
    > is more than my mom wants to spend.
    >
    > I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
    > digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
    > Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sky

    does your mom have a computer etc? or is it feasible to put them onto
    dvd discs or something like that for her? I don't know about prices
    in america but I am sure the cost of slide scanners is coming down.
    certainly you should be able to get a reasonable one for a lot cheaper
    than the money you mentioned it would cost to have it done
    professionally. having sid that many of the reviews I have read don't
    make them sound exactly great. another option is the scanner with
    slide facility, this one seems to have a good standing
    Canoscan 5600F Film and Slide Scanner

    --
    Paul (we break easy)
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, Aug 2, 2010
  5. Skylamar Jones

    ransley Guest

    On Aug 2, 2:04 am, Skylamar Jones <> wrote:
    > Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
    > question recently.
    >
    > My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
    > the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
    > them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
    >
    > She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
    > cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
    > is more than my mom wants to spend.
    >
    > I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
    > digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
    > Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sky

    A real good machine for scanning and printing is a Canon MP printer, I
    did about 300 quality Kodachromes that came out great. 3000 will take
    forever, so go through them to weed out what isnt the best, mine only
    does 8 at a time and its slow to do. Costco probably wont scan at the
    highest resolution, but I have no idea on the quality that you have,
    maybe have them do a few. If they are faded and not quality it may not
    matter. There are also attachments to do it on a camera and even
    projecting them then photographing them is an option if quality never
    was there. it all depends on what you have in quality now.

    ransley, Aug 2, 2010
  6. Ofnuts wrote:
    > On 02/08/2010 09:04, Skylamar Jones wrote:
    >> Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
    >> question recently.
    >>
    >> My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
    >> the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
    >> them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
    >>
    >> She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
    >> cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
    >> is more than my mom wants to spend.
    >>
    >> I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
    >> digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
    >> Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.

    > Digitizing slides at home is extremely labor intensive, unless you have
    > one of these very expensive Nikon scanners with all their expensive
    > options that make it just plain labor intensive.
    >
    > I'm facing the very same problem (except I'd be the one doing the
    > scanning) but I'm taking another route: reduce my Dad's 3000 slides to a
    > set of 100-200 worth passing to the next generations.

    My first thought, too. Go through them with her, make notes and mark the
    ones really worth keeping.
    Good luck!

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Aug 2, 2010
  7. Skylamar Jones

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 02/08/2010 09:04, Skylamar Jones wrote:
    > Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
    > question recently.
    >
    > My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
    > the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
    > them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
    >
    > She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
    > cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
    > is more than my mom wants to spend.
    >
    > I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
    > digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
    > Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sky

    Comme to think of it... if you have a decent camera, there are slide
    duplicators such as this:

    <http://www.soligor.de/src/product_details.php?cPath=134_232&pid=47900&language=en>

    This is a bit faster than the scanner.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 2, 2010
  8. Skylamar Jones

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:16:49 -0400, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >Ofnuts wrote:
    >> On 02/08/2010 09:04, Skylamar Jones wrote:
    >>> Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
    >>> question recently.
    >>>
    >>> My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
    >>> the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
    >>> them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
    >>>
    >>> She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
    >>> cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
    >>> is more than my mom wants to spend.
    >>>
    >>> I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
    >>> digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
    >>> Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.

    >> Digitizing slides at home is extremely labor intensive, unless you have
    >> one of these very expensive Nikon scanners with all their expensive
    >> options that make it just plain labor intensive.
    >>
    >> I'm facing the very same problem (except I'd be the one doing the
    >> scanning) but I'm taking another route: reduce my Dad's 3000 slides to a
    >> set of 100-200 worth passing to the next generations.
    >>

    >My first thought, too. Go through them with her, make notes and mark the
    >ones really worth keeping.
    >Good luck!

    I think most of us of a certain age have gone through this with either
    their own slides or slides taken by a parent. I did, and I culled the
    slides down to about 10% "keepers" and scanned them myself.

    The process of weeding them out is quite enjoyable. Going through the
    slides brings back a lot of memories. The process of scanning is less
    enjoyable, but can be done over a period of time.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 2, 2010
  9. Skylamar Jones

    Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:16:49 -0400, John McWilliams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ofnuts wrote:

    >>> Digitizing slides at home is extremely labor intensive, unless you have
    >>> one of these very expensive Nikon scanners with all their expensive
    >>> options that make it just plain labor intensive.
    >>>
    >>> I'm facing the very same problem (except I'd be the one doing the
    >>> scanning) but I'm taking another route: reduce my Dad's 3000 slides to a
    >>> set of 100-200 worth passing to the next generations.
    >>>

    >>My first thought, too. Go through them with her, make notes and mark the
    >>ones really worth keeping.
    >>Good luck!

    > I think most of us of a certain age have gone through this with either
    > their own slides or slides taken by a parent. I did, and I culled the
    > slides down to about 10% "keepers" and scanned them myself.
    >
    > The process of weeding them out is quite enjoyable. Going through the
    > slides brings back a lot of memories. The process of scanning is less
    > enjoyable, but can be done over a period of time.
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Certainly, it is good advice to cull out the slides that have little or not
    compelling reason to keep them. I also have been through this with my own
    and my father's slides. Went from around 3500 to around 800.
    Second, there are a number of flat bed scanners that can scan slides and
    color film as well as opaque materials. These scanners are not as expensive
    as a good slide scanner and will have a useful life beyond scanning the
    slides.

    Regards,

    Gordo

    , Aug 2, 2010
  10. Skylamar Jones

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 00:04:28 -0700, Skylamar Jones wrote:

    > Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
    > question recently.
    >
    > My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
    > the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
    > them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
    >
    > She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
    > cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
    > is more than my mom wants to spend.
    >
    > I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
    > digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
    > Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sky

    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch) applies here. You
    can buy a decent flatbed scanner with slide/negative scanning
    capabilities for around $100. It would then take a LONG time to process
    them adequately. You might actually get through a few hundred before you
    gave up. Strongly suggest you do a web search (google is one) to try and
    find a lower cost solution.

    ray, Aug 2, 2010

    Ryan McGinnis, Aug 2, 2010

    Ryan McGinnis, Aug 2, 2010
  13. Skylamar Jones

    Dave Cohen Guest

    On 8/2/2010 3:04 AM, Skylamar Jones wrote:
    > Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
    > question recently.
    >
    > My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
    > the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
    > them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
    >
    > She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
    > cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
    > is more than my mom wants to spend.
    >
    > I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
    > digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
    > Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sky

    I used a dedicated slide/negative duplicator that sells for around $100.
    It worked fairly well for negatives but was unsatisfactory for color
    slides, so avoid that.
    Flat bed scanners may do better. If I had to do it, I would play with
    the camera solutions suggested in other threads. The commercial camera
    accessory shown made by Soligor looks interesting but you need a camera
    that will work with that.

    Dave Cohen, Aug 2, 2010
  14. Skylamar Jones

    ray Guest

    ray, Aug 2, 2010
  15. Per Skylamar Jones:
    >She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
    >cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
    >is more than my mom wants to spend.
    >
    >I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
    >digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
    >Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.

    Devil's Advocate Position: Have them printed (commercially, so
    the prints last), put the prints into albums, and move the slides
    to your place.

    Yes, now they're taking up even more space.... But the idea is
    for somebody to actually see them and my experience has been that
    once they get scanned to disc they effectively disappear for
    non-technophiles.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 2, 2010
  16. Skylamar Jones

    Peter Guest

    > I think most of us of a certain age have gone through this with either
    > their own slides or slides taken by a parent. I did, and I culled the
    > slides down to about 10% "keepers" and scanned them myself.
    >
    > The process of weeding them out is quite enjoyable. Going through the
    > slides brings back a lot of memories. The process of scanning is less
    > enjoyable, but can be done over a period of time.

    I agree, logically. However, I am too much of a photo hoarder to do any
    meaningful cull. I temporarily solved the problem by simply putting the
    culls back in a box, which I have trouble throwing out.
    The major issue was solved unhappily when we moved. The moving people lost a
    file cabinet containing shots from our wedding, slides of the kids growing
    up and lots of fond vacation memories.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 2, 2010
  17. Skylamar Jones

    Jon Smid Guest

    Skylamar Jones schreef:
    > Hi. I'm new to this group so I don't know if someone posted a similar
    > question recently.
    >
    > My mom has 3000 slides taken by my dad, who has passed away. Because of
    > the space the slides take up in her home, my mom is weeding through
    > them, looking at them manually using a slide projector.
    >
    > She isn't that computer savvy but she told me that Costco charges 29
    > cents per slide for digitizing them. For 3000 slides that's $870 which
    > is more than my mom wants to spend.
    >
    > I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ideas for
    > digitizing slides such as using a company that's cheaper/better than
    > Costco or a buying/renting good scanner that my mom can use at home.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sky

    I did get /acceptable/ results (certainly for family purposes) by using
    a dia duplicator onto an EOS400D. Shooting goes extremely fast (say 10
    per minute or so) while the only parameter I monitored was the histogram
    (now and then compensating up to +/-1 stop).

    Afterwards I ran the *raws* through a program to process with :
    - automatic whitebalance
    - autoleveling
    That was done of course fully automatic.

    Jon Smid, Aug 2, 2010
  18. Skylamar Jones

    Bruce Guest

    wrote:

    >It'd take even longer if you had to do it at home with a Nikon Coolscan
    >or somesuch. (They produce marginally better scans, but take around a
    >minute or two per scanned image at the best settings.)

    Marginally better scans? Don't be ridiculous, the scans from a Nikon
    Coolscan are significantly better, with much higher dynamic range as
    well as greater resolution.

    Until recently, the best way to proceed would have been to buy a good
    quality scanner, digitise the slides yourself then sell the scanner on
    eBay. Unfortunately, used prices for Nikon Coolscan scanners have
    gone through the roof since production of the 35mm scanners ended, so
    the economics of doing it yourself are no longer quite so predictable.

    There are very cheap scanners available but the results are poor.
    Probably the best compromise would be to buy something like a Plustek
    OpticFilm 7600i which has good resolution and reasonably good dynamic
    range. It is relatuvely easy to use and doesn't cost a fortune - a
    new 7600i is a fraction of the cost of a used Nikon Coolscan V. The
    output quality is good, and more than adequate for all but the most
    critical user.

    Here's a review:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/PLTK7600/7600.HTM

    Bruce, Aug 2, 2010
  19. I just want to thank everyone who provided me with advice in this
    thread. I'm going to look at the web sites that were suggested. It
    sounds like, though, that my mom should take the most important slides
    to Costco. However, I hope that doesn't mean she won't keep the other
    slides. I would take the slides from her but apartment is much smaller
    than her house.

    Thanks again.

    Sky

    Skylamar Jones, Aug 2, 2010
  20. Skylamar Jones

    -hh Guest

    Skylamar Jones <> wrote:
    > I just want to thank everyone who provided me with advice in this
    > thread. I'm going to look at the web sites that were suggested.

    I've read through the posts and fairly recently, had to do a fairly
    similar 'purge', from which I'm going to offer a perhaps radical
    suggestions. This partly emphasizes what ray observed:

    "TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch) applies here."

    The simple bottom line to this is that you can do some stuff that's
    pretty fast/easy, but will result in moderately low optical
    performance.

    However, it is very much worth noting there's more to a photo than
    just the photo. There's also its context. For example, *who* is in
    a photo, *where* was it taken, *when* and so forth.

    The "Lessons Learned" in my case is that we have a literal box full of
    19th Century tin photos of family ancestors ... but the box has almost
    zero written notes on anything to give us any clues, and there's no
    longer anyone alive anymore who knows who is who. So while we have
    'preserved' photos (although not yet digitized), nearly all of their
    context has been lost, because that part was never written down.

    To this end, I'm going to suggest a multi-parter:

    Part I: "Family Slide Show" (for lack of a better description)

    1) One fast/easy way to get basic copies is to set up your slide
    projector and screen, with your existing digital camera equipment on a
    tripod right next to it. Center & adjust on the screen that you're
    projecting your slides onto, advance the slide, take a photo.
    Advance, photo. Repeat until done. The results won't be super-
    sharp, but do keep in mind that this is where TANSTAAFL applies.

    2) But before embarking on the above, consider the above setup, and
    what happens if we change from a still digital camera to a video
    camera. Sit down with Mom (& other familymembers) and display the
    images and as each image comes up, talk about them. **Yes, make sure
    that you're recording the audio properly**. The objective here is to
    quickly/easily add _context_ information to the images.

    Part II: Culling for High Rez

    By now you should have some insight by which you have a better idea
    what your 'keepers' are that merit a better resolution digital still
    being made of them. And as importantly, you've also learned more
    about them - why these are the important ones - and have already
    digitally captured that data for future use via the video. What was
    previously a hard task to begin has probably become a lot easier,
    because you've probably done well by zeroing in on the most important
    5%.

    Part III: Reproduction

    You can eventually made a DVD video montage, both for Mom as well as
    other familymembers. Perhaps one of the voice-to-text programs can
    be used to automate the capturing of the annotations? In the
    meantime, you at least have the raw digital video that can be duped.

    Hope this helps,

    -hh

    -hh, Aug 2, 2010