    --
    ~IRO
    (enzed = nz)

    IRO, Jul 6, 2006

  2. IRO

    Roy G Guest

    "IRO" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising. Is
    > it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the conventional
    > scanner?
    > I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
    > close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@ 50mm)
    >
    > Anyone cracked this particular nut?
    >
    > BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
    > before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through the
    > correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus. Even
    > manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.
    >
    > --
    > ~IRO
    > (enzed = nz)

    Oh how odd, those cameras which are so often touted as being so wonderful
    can't close focus. Tsk, Tsk.

    Seriously, to answer your question. Have you thought about projecting or
    back projecting the slide and then photographing the screen. Keystoning can
    be a problem, but a little photoshopping will soon fix that. It does work.

    I haven't done it that way myself, because of course, I have got a real
    camera. You know the kind, the lens can come off, and a slide copier can go
    on..

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jul 6, 2006

  3. IRO

    Pat Guest

    Google this item with this group and you'll find about a googal

    The short answer is yes, in general. Probably with your camera. Lots
    of options. Lots of opinions. Different strokes for different folks.

    Pat, Jul 6, 2006
  4. IRO wrote:
    > I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising.
    > Is it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the
    > conventional scanner?
    > I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
    > close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@
    > 50mm)
    >
    > Anyone cracked this particular nut?
    >
    > BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
    > before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through
    > the correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus.
    > Even manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.

    For best results, get a proper scanner. A problem with any camera copying
    method is getting even illumination.

    I have not been aware of such focus problems with my FZ5. However, you
    should be aware that for close focussing, you need to select the macro
    mode, and that macro mode may only be available at certain focal lengths.
    I expect you already know this. Perhaps this affects the behaviour you
    are seeing.

    By far the best macro can be had with cameras like the Nikon 990 (series),
    which can focus down to a field width of 19mm (35mm slides are 36mm wide,
    so no problem there).

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp990/

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 6, 2006
  5. IRO wrote:
    > I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising.
    > Is it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the
    > conventional scanner?
    > I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
    > close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@
    > 50mm)
    >
    > Anyone cracked this particular nut?
    >
    > BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
    > before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through
    > the correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus.
    > Even manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.

    Do what I did. Buy a good slide/neg. scanner on Ebay for £120. Scan away all
    winter, save your scans, then sell said scanner on Ebay for £180. It's
    called inflation, but I call it good business practice. You cannot even
    start to compare slides copied using a camera with a properly-scanned slide
    or color neg., believe me, I've tried!

    People seem to think all the time of cost, but never of profit.

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Jul 6, 2006
  6. IRO wrote:
    > I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising. Is
    > it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the conventional
    > scanner?
    > I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
    > close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@ 50mm)
    >
    > Anyone cracked this particular nut?
    >
    > BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
    > before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through the
    > correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus. Even
    > manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.

    Depending on the model of your camera, you may be able to buy a slide
    copier that attaches to your camera. I have one for my Canon S1 IS and
    it works well. There is one issue though...The aspect ratio of a 35mm
    slide is 3:2 (1.5 inches by 1.0 inch), whereas the aspect ratio of a
    digital frame is 4:3 (640 by 480). This means that when you photograph
    the slide it will not completely fill the frame, or you must crop it.

    If this is unacceptable then I'd suggest buying a scanner that can copy
    slides.

    HTH,
    EJ in NJ

    Ernie Willson, Jul 6, 2006
  7. IRO

    Vic Dura Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:12:11 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
    <> wrote Re Re: Digitizing slides with
    FZ30?:

    >IRO wrote:
    >> I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising.
    >> Is it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the
    >> conventional scanner?
    >> I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
    >> close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@
    >> 50mm)
    >>
    >> Anyone cracked this particular nut?
    >>
    >> BTW, has anyone else noticed that with closeups the FZ30 (& the FZ20
    >> before it) has an irritating habit of hunting about, passing through
    >> the correct focus before settling on what is obviously out of focus.
    >> Even manual focus doesn't seem to find that sweet spot. Weird.

    >Do what I did. Buy a good slide/neg. scanner on Ebay for £120. Scan away all
    >winter, save your scans, then sell said scanner on Ebay for £180. It's
    >called inflation, but I call it good business practice. You cannot even
    >start to compare slides copied using a camera with a properly-scanned slide
    >or color neg., believe me, I've tried!
    >
    >People seem to think all the time of cost, but never of profit.
    >
    >Dennis.

    What was the make/model of the one you use?
    --
    To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

    Vic Dura, Jul 6, 2006
  8. IRO

    Pete D Guest

    Dont do it. Just buy a scanner, Canon have the 8400F, reasonable price and
    will scan 4 slides at a time and give a far superior result.

    Pete D, Jul 6, 2006
  9. IRO

    Malcolm Guest

    "IRO" <> wrote in message
    >I have a mountain of legacy slides that I was considering digitising. Is
    > it possible to do it with a digital camera rather than the conventional
    > scanner?
    > I had a tentative try with a 4x dioptre closeup lens, but can't get
    > close enough to the slide for it to effectively fill the frame. (@ 50mm)
    >
    > Anyone cracked this particular nut?

    This is how I did it:
    http://tinyurl.com/czet8

    It is home made slide duplicator made from cardboard

    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Jul 7, 2006