    but that technology has passed us by.

    TIA

    tim

    tim....., Dec 30, 2006

  2. tim.....

    Cgiorgio Guest

    It is probably not the right group, but what you will need is a setup which
    comprises a first surface mirror, a rear projection screen, a video camera
    and means to shield ambient light (like black cloth or carton). A suitable
    device is offered by Hama:

    http://www.hama.co.uk/portal/articleId*1490/action*2563/searchMode*1/bySearch*telescreen

    Cgiorgio, Dec 30, 2006

  3. tim..... wrote:
    > Not sure if this is the right group for this or not.....
    >
    > But after the death of our parents my sister has collected
    > a box of Super 8 cine films of our childhood (plus suitable
    > projector!).
    >
    > She wants to digitise these and put them onto CD(s)
    > (god knows why!).
    >
    > Does anyone know if this is possible. I know that it
    > used to be possible to get them converted to Video
    > but that technology has passed us by.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > tim

    If you can convert them to VHS (by a commercial firm) it is easy to copy VHS
    to DVD. There are lots of machines that will do this. Jessops (UK) may be
    able to help.

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Dec 30, 2006
  4. tim..... wrote:
    > Not sure if this is the right group for this or not.....
    >
    > But after the death of our parents my sister has collected
    > a box of Super 8 cine films of our childhood (plus suitable
    > projector!).
    >
    > She wants to digitise these and put them onto CD(s)
    > (god knows why!).
    >
    > Does anyone know if this is possible. I know that it
    > used to be possible to get them converted to Video
    > but that technology has passed us by.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > tim

    Rec.video.desktop may be a better group.

    Several years ago I bought a relatively inexpensive setup at a camera
    store. It had a mirror. The mirror was set at 45 degrees to the
    projection from the projector. One aims a camcorder at the mirror. I
    have done a number of tapes, and it works great. It is easiest with a
    MiniDV (digital) camcorder that will connect directly to a PC.

    However, you CAN use older analog (VHS or Hi8) cameras. You can even
    do it without a computer, with one of the new DVD recorders. You play
    back the video in the camcorder with an output to the input of the DVD
    recorder. However, many of the cheaper recorders do not make VCDs,
    only DVDs. However, the cost of blank DVDs is only pennies more
    expensive than blank CDs.

    Also, the technology you speak of has not passed us by. Many firms
    offer this service. Check your local TV station if no one else in your
    area offers it.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Dec 30, 2006
  5. Dennis Pogson wrote:
    > tim..... wrote:
    >> Not sure if this is the right group for this or not.....
    >>
    >> But after the death of our parents my sister has collected
    >> a box of Super 8 cine films of our childhood (plus suitable
    >> projector!).
    >>
    >> She wants to digitise these and put them onto CD(s)
    >> (god knows why!).
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if this is possible. I know that it
    >> used to be possible to get them converted to Video
    >> but that technology has passed us by.

    > If you can convert them to VHS (by a commercial firm) it is easy to copy VHS
    > to DVD. There are lots of machines that will do this. Jessops (UK) may be
    > able to help.

    But converting to VHS is putting them into one very low resolution
    format. And you'll lose even more on the conversion to DVD, which itself
    isn't terribly high resolution, although it's handy and the one sought
    by the OP.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 30, 2006