    certain resolution? Just a few things I'd like to know before I buy a new card
    just to have digital output. Thanks.
    , Jun 23, 2005

  2. Guest

    On wrote:

    |>Okay, after much research and many questions, I finally sprung for a flat panel
    |>monitor. And thanks to all who answered my questions on that issue. I ended up
    |>with a ViewSonic VP191b and I"m very happy with it. My question is now this. I
    |>know that in gerenral, digital is better than analog. Right now my video card
    |>only has an analog output. So I'm going to look into a new card. But I want to
    |>know how much better will the picture on the monitor be? Will it really get
    |>better? How does digital make a difference if the monitor is already rated at a
    |>certain resolution? Just a few things I'd like to know before I buy a new card
    |>just to have digital output. Thanks.

    You didn't read the article I post'd to your previous quest.

    http://firingsquad.com/hardware/budget_lcd_roundup_0405/
    (page 3 for you)

    FWIW Viewsonic didn't come out too well.

    --
    , Jun 23, 2005

  3. FML Guest

    wrote:
    > Okay, after much research and many questions, I finally sprung for a flat panel
    > monitor. And thanks to all who answered my questions on that issue. I ended up
    > with a ViewSonic VP191b and I"m very happy with it. My question is now this. I
    > know that in gerenral, digital is better than analog. Right now my video card
    > only has an analog output. So I'm going to look into a new card. But I want to
    > know how much better will the picture on the monitor be? Will it really get
    > better? How does digital make a difference if the monitor is already rated at a
    > certain resolution? Just a few things I'd like to know before I buy a new card
    > just to have digital output. Thanks.

    Even the output of a "cheap" DVI video card is superior to that of an
    expesive analog card as far as picture quality goes and true color.

    Think of it like this: If a pixel is supposed to be blue, the digital
    card sends out the value for blue and the monitor displays the value for
    blue. The analog card sends out a voltage for the pixel's color and
    the A/D converter "converts" the voltage to an approximate value that
    then gets displayed. So, it is exact vs approximate.

    My wife has a Samsung 19" LCD that was attached to an analog video card.
    I upgraded her video card to a DVI capable one and the difference is
    quite noticeable IMHO.
    FML, Jun 23, 2005
  4. Guest

    We are using the same monitors in our offices. This is an excellent
    monitor. If you have a very high end analog card, the image will be
    very good in the VGA mode. Using the DVI mode, will add to the image
    quality. If you are doing critical work, there will be some visual
    improvement.

    If you are very critical, and know what you are looking for, there will
    be a difference with the DVI. When buying the monitor, you are paying
    for this option in the monitor, in this case alone, you have
    justification to have the card.

    Jerry G.
    ======
    , Jun 24, 2005
  5. Guest

    You're right. Sorry. But I lost the thread from my last post and accordingly
    lost the link you sent me.

  6. unwashed Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Okay, after much research and many questions, I finally sprung for a flat
    > panel
    > monitor. And thanks to all who answered my questions on that issue. I
    > ended up
    > with a ViewSonic VP191b and I"m very happy with it. My question is now
    > this. I
    > know that in gerenral, digital is better than analog. Right now my video
    > card
    > only has an analog output. So I'm going to look into a new card. But I
    > want to
    > know how much better will the picture on the monitor be? Will it really
    > get
    > better? How does digital make a difference if the monitor is already rated
    > at a
    > certain resolution? Just a few things I'd like to know before I buy a new
    > card
    > just to have digital output. Thanks.

    You are at least "Future-proofed" inasmuch Hi-Def imaging will only be
    available
    via a digital connection DVI or HDMI, - both these digital connections are
    identical
    signals, but the interface of each is diff - but easily connected via
    afordable adapters,
    example being, you have opted for monitor with DVI interface - future
    upgrade to
    a digital graphics card will also include this specific interface, so
    compatibilty
    between your newly purchased digital monitor and PC digital card is no
    problem.
    But if/when you intend to also connect the digital output from PC to a
    widecreen-
    Hi-Definition Plasma - these are fitted with HDMI interface, the actual
    digital signal
    is identical so all that is required is a standalone DVI/HDMI adapter
    (connect DVI
    output-from-PC-to-adapter-to-HDMI-Hi-Def- large screen plasma). Currently
    such
    DVI/HDMI adapters are available for approx $50, but prices will drop
    The various professional/industry hardware and software forums have all
    agreed
    that because of all types of software/film piracy now being widespread and
    simple,
    That the easiest and most assured method of "copyright" protection of
    "Hi-Def"
    material is to only allow via a digital signal that incorporates "HDCP"
    (copy protection)
    Though it will only be a matter of time until a "crack" application becomes
    available -
    ( A digital/Hi-Def version of DVDshrink or DVDdecrypter perhaps??)
    Your digital monitor is also equipped with an analog connection thus
    ensuring
    compatibilty with existing analog graphics cards, and this is the
    configuration you
    are currently using, in this context you won't notice any diff with your
    digital monitor
    and any similar analog-only pixel/definition monitor you may connect to your
    analog
    graphics card, you will however see, when playing back High Definition
    material
    via a digital output to DVI input on monitor - dramatically improved
    imaging -
    almost 40% increase line resolution at 720, spectacularly improved color
    rendition,
    depth-of-field etc etc, - But only "Hi-Def" material, via a digital out to
    digital display!
    And that is impressive, you have at least got a compatible "future proof"
    digital
    monitor so you are on the right track.
    unwashed, Jun 26, 2005
  7. Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:
    > Okay, after much research and many questions, I finally sprung for a flat panel
    > monitor. And thanks to all who answered my questions on that issue. I ended up
    > with a ViewSonic VP191b and I"m very happy with it. My question is now this. I
    > know that in gerenral, digital is better than analog. Right now my video card
    > only has an analog output. So I'm going to look into a new card. But I want to
    > know how much better will the picture on the monitor be? Will it really get
    > better? How does digital make a difference if the monitor is already rated at a
    > certain resolution? Just a few things I'd like to know before I buy a new card
    > just to have digital output. Thanks.

    Your connectors are
    Analog 15-pin mini D-subx2
    Digital Digital DVI-D

    So you'll need a card that outputs to the DVI-D.

    Otherwise you are still using computer (digital to analog) ==> display
    (analog to digital).
    Rick Merrill, Jul 7, 2005