    would be appreciated.

    Thank you in advance...

    , Jun 1, 2006

  2. Bill Guest

    wrote:
    > I've found a bunch (About 15) old DIVX formatted DVD's lying around in
    > a box in my home (The kind where you paid $3.75 to UNLOCK them). I am
    > looking for a way to view the movies on them. I no longer have any
    > 'true' divx players and regret ever purchasing one in the first place
    > (paid about $450 for it in '98')... looking for a way to view the
    > movies on these cd's... Anyone have any information or should I just
    > throw out the discs? - I've tried DVDShrink with no success.. any help
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you in advance...

    The last time I checked a site devoted to Circuit City's now deceased
    Divx format a couple of years back, the protection scheme was described
    as virtually uncrackable. Supposedly, there are a few Divx players out
    there with no restrictions built in, which were given to executives at
    Circuit City, etc..that may be the only way that these discs could ever
    be viewed.

    If you're interested in odd collectibles, I would keep them. I purchased
    three titles as a reduced price, just for the heck of it, while Circuit
    City was clearing out its inventory. Only thing those discs ever managed
    to do was lock up one of my older Windows computers, forcing a reboot.

    Bill, Jun 1, 2006

  3. Rich Clark Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I've found a bunch (About 15) old DIVX formatted DVD's lying around in
    > a box in my home (The kind where you paid $3.75 to UNLOCK them). I am
    > looking for a way to view the movies on them. I no longer have any
    > 'true' divx players and regret ever purchasing one in the first place
    > (paid about $450 for it in '98')... looking for a way to view the
    > movies on these cd's... Anyone have any information or should I just
    > throw out the discs? - I've tried DVDShrink with no success.. any help
    > would be appreciated.

    To the best of my knowledge the format was never cracked and the disks are
    unplayable. Since the discs contain inferior transfers (mostly pan and
    scan), without supplemental features, of films that have all been released
    in superior fashion on real DVDs, there was never really much incentive for
    anyone to spend much effort on this once the format died.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Jun 2, 2006
  4. divxguy

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    The transfers were of similar quality to the DVD versions. Many were OAR: some letterboxed, some 16x-enhanced, and some Academy Standard. In the case of "Armageddon," the Divx transfer was 16x9-enhanced while the DVD was not. Discs could contain "extras"; "Amistad" was both 16x9-enhanced and had a making-of featurette that was free to view on registered players.

    A little known fact is that some Divx masters were used for subsequently released DVD versions.

    There are still a handful of Divx titles that have never been released to Region 1 DVD.

    divxguy, Jan 6, 2009
  5. cindylili

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2009
    Messages:
    11
    You can watch the Movies after installing WindowsMediaPlayer on you PC.

    cindylili, Jun 24, 2009