Digital video cable problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by wingedhorse, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. wingedhorse

    wingedhorse Guest

    Hiya,

    I am a bit confused, and as I am abroad it is hard to find anyone to
    ask (given that my communication skills are not that sophisticated).

    I bought in England a digital video camera. A Canon MV 700 i. I want
    to connect it to my laptop which runs XP and has video editing
    software.

    I thought I needed a firewire cable, a firewire card for computer, and
    suitable software.

    The shop when I bought the camera ~(right before going abroad – which
    was silly) told me that I didn't need a firewire cable as my laptop
    had a fast USB connection (USB2??) and therefore I could use a DV
    cable and did not need a firewire cable. (I was not convinced, and
    reluctant to be left abroad with the wrong connection, and made them
    check it with the manager, and the specification list.) And I was
    slightly confused, are firewire and DV cables the same thing or
    totally different? Having unpacked and tried the camera out the DV
    cable I was sold is not the right fit to connect the camera.

    Can any one help me with the name of specification of the cable that I
    do need? The DV female part of the camera is rectangular, with an
    indent in one side, and holes for four pins. The DV wire I was sold is
    semi circular, with an indent.

    Do I need a fire wire cable? Will that mean I need new software? It
    has occurred to me that I probably can't install a firewire card in my
    laptop, as presumably you can't just put the card in like you can in a
    normal computer?

    Does anyone know what cable I need? Presumably DV to fit camera at one
    end and fast USB2 at the other end. Can I order it online, perhaps
    from Amazon UK? And pay extra to have it delivered to Europe?

    Any help deeply appreciated

    Many thanks

    Pip
    wingedhorse, Mar 31, 2005

  2. wingedhorse

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    wingedhorse wrote:
    > Hiya,
    >
    > I am a bit confused, and as I am abroad it is hard to find anyone to
    > ask (given that my communication skills are not that sophisticated).
    >
    > I bought in England a digital video camera. A Canon MV 700 i. I want
    > to connect it to my laptop which runs XP and has video editing
    > software.
    >
    > I thought I needed a firewire cable, a firewire card for computer, and
    > suitable software.
    >
    > The shop when I bought the camera ~(right before going abroad – which
    > was silly) told me that I didn't need a firewire cable as my laptop
    > had a fast USB connection (USB2??) and therefore I could use a DV
    > cable and did not need a firewire cable. (I was not convinced, and
    > reluctant to be left abroad with the wrong connection, and made them
    > check it with the manager, and the specification list.) And I was
    > slightly confused, are firewire and DV cables the same thing or
    > totally different? Having unpacked and tried the camera out the DV
    > cable I was sold is not the right fit to connect the camera.
    >
    > Can any one help me with the name of specification of the cable that I
    > do need? The DV female part of the camera is rectangular, with an
    > indent in one side, and holes for four pins. The DV wire I was sold is
    > semi circular, with an indent.
    >
    > Do I need a fire wire cable? Will that mean I need new software? It
    > has occurred to me that I probably can't install a firewire card in my
    > laptop, as presumably you can't just put the card in like you can in a
    > normal computer?
    >
    > Does anyone know what cable I need? Presumably DV to fit camera at one
    > end and fast USB2 at the other end. Can I order it online, perhaps
    > from Amazon UK? And pay extra to have it delivered to Europe?
    >
    > Any help deeply appreciated

    Hi Pip...

    Don't have one; so can't offer much by way of help...

    According to the published specs it supports both firewire
    and usb.

    Can't tell where you are in Europe, but surely there's a
    computer store available to you? If so, I'd suggest that you
    take both the camera and the laptop in with you, just ask for
    a usb cable.

    Good luck, and take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Mar 31, 2005

  3. wingedhorse

    Tony Hwang Guest

    wingedhorse wrote:

    >Hiya,
    >
    >I am a bit confused, and as I am abroad it is hard to find anyone to
    >ask (given that my communication skills are not that sophisticated).
    >
    >I bought in England a digital video camera. A Canon MV 700 i. I want
    >to connect it to my laptop which runs XP and has video editing
    >software.
    >
    >I thought I needed a firewire cable, a firewire card for computer, and
    >suitable software.
    >
    >The shop when I bought the camera ~(right before going abroad – which
    >was silly) told me that I didn't need a firewire cable as my laptop
    >had a fast USB connection (USB2??) and therefore I could use a DV
    >cable and did not need a firewire cable. (I was not convinced, and
    >reluctant to be left abroad with the wrong connection, and made them
    >check it with the manager, and the specification list.) And I was
    >slightly confused, are firewire and DV cables the same thing or
    >totally different? Having unpacked and tried the camera out the DV
    >cable I was sold is not the right fit to connect the camera.
    >
    >Can any one help me with the name of specification of the cable that I
    >do need? The DV female part of the camera is rectangular, with an
    >indent in one side, and holes for four pins. The DV wire I was sold is
    >semi circular, with an indent.
    >
    >Do I need a fire wire cable? Will that mean I need new software? It
    >has occurred to me that I probably can't install a firewire card in my
    >laptop, as presumably you can't just put the card in like you can in a
    >normal computer?
    >
    >Does anyone know what cable I need? Presumably DV to fit camera at one
    >end and fast USB2 at the other end. Can I order it online, perhaps
    >from Amazon UK? And pay extra to have it delivered to Europe?
    >
    >Any help deeply appreciated
    >
    >Many thanks
    >
    >Pip

    Hi,
    How about reading manual?
    That camera can use either interface, USB2 or FW. Cable should come with
    camera in the box.
    Your laptop ought to have USB port. So better get a correct USB cable.
    Camera end has mini
    USB connector of different shape and size. It has to be right one.
    Tony
    Tony Hwang, Apr 1, 2005