    Tapes will still stretch and break and deterioate besides
    I have not been to a store as yet that even carries this format or player
    Am I wrong??????
    Film Buff, May 8, 2004

  2. Film Buff

    Richard C. Guest

    "Film Buff" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    : I subscribe to Widescreen review and have noticed that they are
    reviewing a lot
    : of films on the D-VHS format
    : I cannot understand this - why -with DVD - would someone want another
    VHS tape system?
    : Tapes will still stretch and break and deterioate besides
    : I have not been to a store as yet that even carries this format or
    player
    : Am I wrong??????

    ==========
    The ONLY reason they have them is because there is no HD-DVD yet.
    Richard C., May 8, 2004

  3. Film Buff wrote:
    > I subscribe to Widescreen review and have noticed that they are reviewing a lot
    > of films on the D-VHS format
    > I cannot understand this - why -with DVD - would someone want another VHS tape system?
    > Tapes will still stretch and break and deterioate besides
    > I have not been to a store as yet that even carries this format or player
    > Am I wrong??????

    It's a format that studios wanted more than consumers did. It's the
    only way to buy pre-recorded movies in HD, except for a few Japanese HD
    laserdiscs, but that's another story (and another format, incompatible
    with ATSC).

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, May 8, 2004
  4. Film Buff <> wrote in

    > I subscribe to Widescreen review and have noticed that they are
    > reviewing a lot of films on the D-VHS format
    > I cannot understand this - why -with DVD - would someone want another
    > VHS tape system?

    It's real purty.

    Ahem-- seriously, as someone else said, it's a way to get pre-recorded
    HD, albeit with all the drawbacks of VHS, mixed in with complications
    of digital storage. Not a good long-term solution, but if you have a
    mega-system and want to have some friends over for the ultimate X-Men
    experience... well... there ya go.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, May 8, 2004
  5. Film Buff

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Film Buff" <> wrote in message
    > I subscribe to Widescreen review and have noticed that they are reviewing

    a lot
    > of films on the D-VHS format
    > I cannot understand this - why -with DVD - would someone want another VHS

    tape system?
    > Tapes will still stretch and break and deterioate besides
    > I have not been to a store as yet that even carries this format or player
    > Am I wrong??????

    It's a niche format that offers pre-recorded HD. It's sure to perish once
    HD-DVD gets on board.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, May 8, 2004
  6. Film Buff

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    "Film Buff" <> wrote in message
    > I subscribe to Widescreen review and have noticed that they are reviewing

    a lot
    > of films on the D-VHS format
    > I cannot understand this - why -with DVD - would someone want another VHS

    tape system?
    > Tapes will still stretch and break and deterioate besides
    > I have not been to a store as yet that even carries this format or player
    > Am I wrong??????

    Been around for a fairly long time without making too much of an impact.
    See
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,41045,00.html?tw=wn_story_related

    --
    Cheers