    Anyone in uk got any ideas please or cannot it not be done?

    --
    This is not the work of a complete idiot....not yet.
    Harold potter esq, May 23, 2006

  2. Harold potter esq

    SgtMinor Guest

    Harold potter esq wrote:
    > Hi to all and thanks in advance for any good advice proferred.
    > I want to install a digital tv tuner card to my pc. I have cable all round
    > the house and would be simple for me to rig up an extension for the cable to
    > pc. However, when I search in google, all the cards seem to refer to either
    > analogue or digital freeview chanels. I want to have all my cable channels
    > on the pc.
    >
    > Anyone in uk got any ideas please or cannot it not be done?

    Just in case you're wondering about alternatives:

    http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=6803&head=0
    SgtMinor, May 23, 2006

  3. Harold potter esq

    Mitch Guest

    In article <83Jcg.8002$>, Harold potter
    esq <> wrote:

    > Hi to all and thanks in advance for any good advice proferred.
    > I want to install a digital tv tuner card to my pc. I have cable all round
    > the house and would be simple for me to rig up an extension for the cable to
    > pc. However, when I search in google, all the cards seem to refer to either
    > analogue or digital freeview chanels. I want to have all my cable channels
    > on the pc.
    >
    > Anyone in uk got any ideas please or cannot it not be done?

    Is it normal for cable service to use a decoder box in your area?
    If so, then you have the problem of receiving channels that require
    that box -- you may need to rent another box from your service just to
    add that ability.

    And maybe that's what was meant by 'freeview channels?'
    Mitch, May 23, 2006
  4. "Harold potter esq" <> wrote in
    message news:83Jcg.8002$...
    > Hi to all and thanks in advance for any good advice proferred.
    > I want to install a digital tv tuner card to my pc. I have cable all
    > round the house and would be simple for me to rig up an extension for the
    > cable to pc. However, when I search in google, all the cards seem to
    > refer to either analogue or digital freeview chanels. I want to have all
    > my cable channels on the pc.
    >
    > Anyone in uk got any ideas please or cannot it not be done?

    Easiest way is to get an extra decoder box from NTL (or whoever) and connect
    it to an ordinary (non-digital) TV card.

    I was in a discussion here a couple of weeks ago whether it is possible to
    connect a digital tv-card straight to the cable without a decoder box. Some
    people seen to think that it is possible, but I am not convinced at all.

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, May 24, 2006
  5. I am sorry but it appears that I did not make myself clear. I have ntl and
    have it all around the house. I thought it would be just a matter of
    tapping an aerial connection from the nearest point and putting it into the
    tv tuner card. It obviously is all decoded all around the house from the
    decoder box supplied by ntl. Hope this gives a better insight and thank you
    for your interest.
    "Harold potter esq" <> wrote in
    message news:83Jcg.8002$...

    Harold potter esq, May 24, 2006
  6. Harold potter esq

    Mitch Guest

    In article <DyVcg.17102$z%>, Harold potter
    esq <> wrote:

    > I am sorry but it appears that I did not make myself clear. I have ntl and
    > have it all around the house. I thought it would be just a matter of
    > tapping an aerial connection

    Aerial? Aren't you talking about coaxial cable?
    I guess you mean the incoming signal at least.

    > from the nearest point and putting it into the
    > tv tuner card.

    Wasn't your previous post about getting the full signal from the cable,
    and not just the basic channels?

    > It obviously is all decoded all around the house from the
    > decoder box supplied by ntl.

    Huh? The decoder box decodes at THAT point -- the useable signal comes
    out of the box there.
    The rest of the signal in the house probably splits off well before
    that, right? So you can't get the benefit of that decoded signal before
    it goes through the box!

    And if your box controls the channel being displayed, as many systems
    do, then everything coming out of the box will be only one channel --
    whatever is selected.

    The decode box cannot take an incoming signal and convert it and send
    it back into the house to other locations through the same cable -- it
    isn't an innoculation that affects all nearby cables, it is a converter
    that affects only the signal that goes through it!
    Mitch, May 24, 2006
  7. Sorry mitch, you are talking sense. So I am stuck with freeview channels
    similar that I would get with a freeview box?

    Harold potter esq, May 24, 2006
  8. Harold potter esq

    Peaches Guest

    "Harold potter esq" <> wrote in
    message news:83Jcg.8002$...
    > Hi to all and thanks in advance for any good advice proferred.
    > I want to install a digital tv tuner card to my pc. I have cable all
    > round the house and would be simple for me to rig up an extension for the
    > cable to pc. However, when I search in google, all the cards seem to
    > refer to either analogue or digital freeview chanels. I want to have all
    > my cable channels on the pc.
    >
    > Anyone in uk got any ideas please or cannot it not be done?
    >
    > --
    > This is not the work of a complete idiot....not yet.

    You have many options, a PCI freeview card is the easiest
    and cheapest solution.
    Look at the Hauppauge range: http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/prods.html

    If you opt for a standalone USB PVR, these take the signal from
    the scart output of either your NTL box or VCR and via an adapter
    feed to the unit's S-video and composite inputs, the unit converts
    to mpeg2 and sends via USB to PC, with this type of kit you are
    restricted to what channel the NTL cable box is tuned to.
    Pinnacle and cannopus also do these USB standalone kits.
    Also Hauppauge do an Analog/Digital tuner card that also has
    a S-video input so that you can grab channels from your NTL
    service that are not available via freeview.
    Another option is this Miglia converter.
    It takes the scart feed and converts to DV-AVI and feed via
    firewire to your PC, this is also ideal for archiving your VHS
    collection, but it ain't cheap.
    http://www.miglia.com/products/video/dcscart/index.html
    Again this type is restricted to capturing what your NTL box
    is tuned to.

    If you opt just for DVB-T (freeview) the only limit being
    you may not get all the channels available via NTL,
    (The name Freeview is a UK only service, so some may
    not realise you mean DVB-T.)
    A DVB-T PCI card is the easiest and cost affective solution,
    there are also numerous USB DVB-T (freeview) plug-ins:

    http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h833.htm

    http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=1215

    http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/reviews/hard/peripherals/hauppaugewintv-hvr-900 .htm

    http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=1925&MMCF_FroogleMar
    Peaches, May 24, 2006
  9. Harold potter esq

    Mitch Guest

    In article <tH0dg.1024$>, Harold potter esq
    <> wrote:

    > Sorry mitch, you are talking sense. So I am stuck with freeview channels
    > similar that I would get with a freeview box?

    I have to leave that to people who know the system in your country, or
    the provider setup.

    In my area, there is a basic set of channels (about 80) on the cable
    that do not require a decoder. I think another decoder is US$9 per
    month --it would allow another 200-250 channels, music, pay-per-view,
    and subscription channels.
    Mitch, May 25, 2006
  10. Harold potter esq

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:36:48 GMT, "Synapse Syndrome"
    <> wrote:

    >I was in a discussion here a couple of weeks ago whether it is possible to
    >connect a digital tv-card straight to the cable without a decoder box. Some
    >people seen to think that it is possible, but I am not convinced at all.

    The question had to do with analog cable with an analog PCI tuner
    card. And yes, it is possible, and I'm watching TV right now in a
    window.

    Furthermore, I also have a DVB-S card in conjunction with My-Theater
    software that allows me to view all of D*sh Network on my monitor
    without a D*sh receiver.

    --

    -Graham

    remove the double 'e' to email me.
    G. Morgan, May 26, 2006
  11. Harold potter esq

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:19:31 GMT, "Harold potter esq"
    <> wrote:

    >I am sorry but it appears that I did not make myself clear. I have ntl and
    >have it all around the house. I thought it would be just a matter of
    >tapping an aerial connection from the nearest point and putting it into the
    >tv tuner card. It obviously is all decoded all around the house from the
    >decoder box supplied by ntl. Hope this gives a better insight and thank you
    >for your interest.

    Unscrambled channels work with a card such as Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250.

    G. Morgan, May 26, 2006