    $1.77 seems high.....

    Thanks

    Steve at "removeNOSPAM " avertical. DOT com

    No left turn, Jul 22, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "No left turn" <> wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good and inexpensive source to print 35mm slides
    > from digital files?
    >
    > What is a good price?
    >
    > $1.77 seems high.....

    In my neck of woods thats a very good price
    who does it that cheap?
    --
    Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
    a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Jul 22, 2005

  3. No left  turn

    piperut Guest

    Re: Digital to slides best price ?

    No left turn wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good and inexpensive source to print 35mm slides from digital files?
    >
    > What is a good price?
    >
    > $1.77 seems high.....
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Steve at "removeNOSPAM " avertical. DOT com

    Hi Steve,

    I am a bit confused here.
    Is this not a bit backwards?
    Print 35mm slides from digital?

    >From years gone by when I used to mount my own slides, (had a chemical

    darkroom) and a bit of knowledge about printers you could make
    something like a 35mm slide if you have some of the following
    equipment, and can get somethings:

    An iron
    A good quality color printer, laser or inkjet.
    Good printing software that will set up a size of a 35mm slide.
    A paper cutter
    Inkjet overhead transparencies
    35mm slide blanks

    You could set up a good quality printing software to print 35mm size
    slides on a sheet of inkjet transparencies stock, or laser transparency
    stock. Cut it to fit the 35mm slide blanks, use the iron to set the
    blanks (you just iron the cardboard, unless we have heatless blanks
    now?) You have to be carefull with the iron, as you can melt the
    slide.

    It would be a bit of work, and cost you a little bit to get set up.
    You would most likely mess up the first few times of setting the
    slides. The first ones I did, I used bad negatives to attempt to set
    in slides.

    I think you should still be able to buy blank slide casings somewhere?

    roland

    piperut, Jul 22, 2005
  4. No left  turn

    [BnH] Guest

    "piperut" <> wrote in message
    > I am a bit confused here.
    > Is this not a bit backwards?
    > Print 35mm slides from digital?

    Not really. I had my digital files optimised for 10R exposed to a slide film
    and was printed around A1 size without any problem.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 22, 2005
  5. No left  turn

    [BnH] wrote:
    > "piperut" <> wrote in message
    > > I am a bit confused here.
    > > Is this not a bit backwards?
    > > Print 35mm slides from digital?

    > Not really. I had my digital files optimised for 10R exposed to a slide film
    > and was printed around A1 size without any problem.
    >
    > =bob=

    I know that the old Kodacrome is supposed to store longer then any
    other media.
    However, that is hard to find anyone to process anymore.

    I am just trying to figure out the purpose to converting digital to
    slides?
    For storage?

    If that is the case, wouldn't you be better served by using the CD's
    with the gold inlayed mylar layer?

    If this is for display purposes, wouldn't you be better served by using
    a program such as Nero or Roxio, or one of the others that converts the
    program to a DVD slide show and plays on a standard DVD player and TV,
    either NTSC or PAL?

    I just don't see a value in converting digital to slide?

    roland

    piperut, Jul 22, 2005
  6. No left  turn

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "No left turn" <> wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend a good and inexpensive source to print 35mm slides
    >from digital files?
    >
    >What is a good price?
    >
    >$1.77 seems high.....

    That price seems *very* low to me. Suspiciously so.
    What kind of resolution are you getting for this price?

    I think I paid about $6.00 each last time I had this done.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Jul 22, 2005
  7. Re: Digital to slides best price ?

    "piperut" <> wrote in message >
    > I just don't see a value in converting digital to slide?

    Me too. I can only guess to meet the need of some out of date publisher/end
    user.

    Dave R knows who, Jul 22, 2005
  8. No left  turn

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, says

    >------=_NextPart_000_006B_01C58E93.28796BF0
    >
    >Can anyone recommend a good and inexpensive source to print 35mm =
    >slides from digital files?
    >
    >What is a good price?
    >
    >$1.77 seems high.....
    >
    >Thanks

    [SNIP unnecessary HTML]

    I'm with Mark on this one. Last time that I had a client, who needed 35mm
    slides from digital images, it cost ~US$7.00/each, for hi-rez images, in glass
    mounts. I'd be very, very suspect of such a low price. Ask what you are
    getting.

    For those who don't understand the need, some clients want to actually project
    the slide, and not do a PowerPoint, etc. digital projection. Some competitions
    also request 35mm slides, in lieu of digital files.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Jul 23, 2005
  9. No left  turn

    Father Kodak Guest

    Re: Digital to slides best price ?

    On 22 Jul 2005 07:32:45 -0700, "piperut" <>
    wrote:

    >No left turn wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a good and inexpensive source to print 35mm slides from digital files?
    >>
    >> What is a good price?
    >>
    >> $1.77 seems high.....
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> Steve at "removeNOSPAM " avertical. DOT com

    >Hi Steve,
    >
    >I am a bit confused here.
    >Is this not a bit backwards?
    >Print 35mm slides from digital?

    It makes sense IF you have really high-quality images and you want to
    project them at full quality. Is there a digital projector which can
    do say 4000 lines horizontal? If you can afford only a 1000 lines
    horizontal projector but your image has 4000 lines, then you lose a
    lot.

    >>From years gone by when I used to mount my own slides, (had a chemical

    >darkroom) and a bit of knowledge about printers you could make
    >something like a 35mm slide if you have some of the following
    >equipment, and can get somethings:
    >
    >An iron
    >A good quality color printer, laser or inkjet.

    OK. Question here is the resolution of the printed image. Can you
    get a printer that does say 4000 horizonal lines/inch?

    I'm also curious as to the types of ink you would use. Wouldn't they
    have to be different than the typical inks you use for
    reflected-light-on-paper prints?

    >Good printing software that will set up a size of a 35mm slide.
    >A paper cutter
    >Inkjet overhead transparencies

    I used to use something similar to that for years to make "foils" for
    projection, that I could print on or run through a copier. But geez,
    it's been years since I've done a presentation using foils. So 1990!

    >35mm slide blanks
    >
    >You could set up a good quality printing software to print 35mm size
    >slides on a sheet of inkjet transparencies stock, or laser transparency
    >stock. Cut it to fit the 35mm slide blanks, use the iron to set the
    >blanks (you just iron the cardboard, unless we have heatless blanks
    >now?) You have to be carefull with the iron, as you can melt the
    >slide.

    Many years ago, I used a slide mount system called "Perrotcolor" which
    consisted of metal frames that were pinched together by a tool to hold
    a sandwich consisting of anti-newton-ring glass and the slide. Slides
    were super-flat and looked great, edge to edge. Only problem was that
    after some period of years, the slides started to laminate to the
    glass. So I had to open up all those slides and remount them in
    plastic frames without glass.

    So for long-term storage, glass mounts aren't such a great idea. But
    for short-term use, they would be great.

    Father Kodak, Jul 23, 2005
  10. "Hunt" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says
    >>
    >>This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    >>
    >>------=_NextPart_000_006B_01C58E93.28796BF0
    >>
    >>Can anyone recommend a good and inexpensive source to print 35mm =
    >>slides from digital files?
    >>
    >>What is a good price?
    >>
    >>$1.77 seems high.....
    >>
    >>Thanks

    > [SNIP unnecessary HTML]
    >
    > I'm with Mark on this one. Last time that I had a client, who needed 35mm
    > slides from digital images, it cost ~US$7.00/each, for hi-rez images, in
    > glass
    > mounts. I'd be very, very suspect of such a low price. Ask what you are
    > getting.
    >
    > For those who don't understand the need, some clients want to actually
    > project
    > the slide, and not do a PowerPoint, etc. digital projection. Some
    > competitions
    > also request 35mm slides, in lieu of digital files.

    Thanks for this info. I'd be very interested to know specifics of the source
    file.

    Dave R knows who, Jul 25, 2005