Digital to 35 MM Slide

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Celtic Boar, Jul 18, 2006.

  1. Celtic Boar

    Celtic Boar Guest

    Celtic Boar, Jul 18, 2006

  2. Celtic Boar

    BJ in Texas Guest

    Celtic Boar <> wrote:
    || I have the unusual need to convert a digital file to a 35mm
    || slide. Are there any reasonable services available for this
    || type of conversion? If so, can some one point me to a couple?
    || --

    Google is your friend....

    "A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular." --
    Adlai Stevenson

    --
    http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/

    BJ in Texas, Jul 18, 2006

  3. Celtic Boar

    tomm42 Guest

    Celtic Boar wrote:
    > I have the unusual need to convert a digital file to a 35mm slide. Are there
    > any reasonable services available for this type of conversion? If so, can
    > some one point me to a couple?
    >
    > --
    > Rikk Flohr
    >
    > gallery: www.fleetingglimpse.com
    > consulting: www.fleetingglimpse.net
    >
    > blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fleetingglimpse/

    You want someone who uses a film recorder. Most of the good ones are 20
    year old technology and very slow (2-10min per slide) so prices tend to
    be high for single frames. A couple of suggestions in the US
    www.slides.com
    www.imagers.com
    Find a pro processing lab and chances are they will have one of these
    in their closet. Very little demand, had a $15K Agfa unit, paid its way
    for 12 years, broke down and is now in my attic, not worth repairing.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jul 18, 2006
  4. Celtic Boar

    Celtic Boar Guest

    It is, but google is a search engine and has no real world experience. That
    is why I ask here.

    Celtic Boar, Jul 18, 2006
  5. Celtic Boar

    Celtic Boar Guest

    Thank you. I will check them out.

    Celtic Boar, Jul 18, 2006
  6. Celtic Boar

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Celtic Boar wrote:

    >I have the unusual need to convert a digital file to a 35mm slide. Are there
    >any reasonable services available for this type of conversion? If so, can
    >some one point me to a couple?

    Almost any top-flight pro lab should be able to do this. I paid around
    $10.00 each last time I needed this service (for a juried art show -
    back in the days when they didn't accept digital files).

    --
    Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
    www.robertstech.com

    Mark Roberts, Jul 18, 2006
  7. Celtic Boar

    Guest

    "Celtic Boar" <> wrote:
    > I have the unusual need to convert a digital file to a 35mm slide. Are
    > there any reasonable services available for this type of conversion? If
    > so, can some one point me to a couple?

    I have had good success with the following website:

    http://www.ezslides.com/

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    , Jul 18, 2006
  8. Celtic Boar

    Celtic Boar Guest

    That seems reasonable.

    I will look around.

    Celtic Boar, Jul 18, 2006
  9. Celtic Boar

    Celtic Boar Guest

    Thanks, I will check into them.

    <

    Celtic Boar, Jul 18, 2006
  10. Celtic Boar

    jpc Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:14:45 -0500, "Celtic Boar"
    <> wrote:

    A camera with slide film. a copy stand--store bought or cluged-
    and a set of 4X6 prints is the cheapest way to do it

    jpc

    jpc, Jul 19, 2006
  11. Celtic Boar

    Father Kodak Guest

    On 18 Jul 2006 11:08:32 -0700, "tomm42" <> wrote:

    >Celtic Boar wrote:
    >> I have the unusual need to convert a digital file to a 35mm slide. Are there
    >> any reasonable services available for this type of conversion? If so, can
    >> some one point me to a couple?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rikk Flohr
    >>
    >> gallery: www.fleetingglimpse.com
    >> consulting: www.fleetingglimpse.net
    >>
    >> blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fleetingglimpse/

    >You want someone who uses a film recorder. Most of the good ones are 20
    >year old technology and very slow (2-10min per slide) so prices tend to
    >be high for single frames. A couple of suggestions in the US
    >www.slides.com
    >www.imagers.com
    >Find a pro processing lab and chances are they will have one of these
    >in their closet. Very little demand, had a $15K Agfa unit, paid its way
    >for 12 years, broke down and is now in my attic, not worth repairing.
    >
    >Tom

    Tom

    Years and years ago I remember someone doing a project at work where
    they got 35 mm slides made from some software files, for projection to
    a large audience. Was your basic six lines of bulleted text and at
    the time we all thought it looked great. But I didn't realize that
    this approach could do high-quality slides (like the submission for a
    juried art show), but it's something I would also like to do sometime.

    I just looked on ebay (which isn't always your friend!) and found a
    bunch of film recorders for sale. Would you advise buying one these
    units? At $10 bucks a slide, it wouldn't take too many
    digital-files-to-slides before you would be ahead buying a unit. What
    do you think?

    I did a bit of drill-down and I'm confused as to what I would need?
    Does it depend a lot on the pixel count of the digital image?

    What film would you use in one of these units?

    Thanks.

    Father Kodak

    Father Kodak, Jul 22, 2006
  12. Celtic Boar

    Nick Fotis Guest

    My own way to do it is shooting at my computer monitor, with very good
    results:

    1. Get a pretty flat monitor (the current CRTs are pretty good, I haven't
    tried with TFTs),at least 17" diagonal (preferably 19").

    2. Use a pretty high resolution (I had my monitor at 1024x768 - it was more
    than adequate).

    3. Control contrast/light in your monitor so the blacks are real blacks, not
    grey.

    4. Use a 70-200 lens (around 90-100mm would give a rather flat perspective)
    on a tripod. Take care to put the camera exactly on the center axis of the
    monitor and perpendicular to the image plane (expect around 2 meters/6 feet
    distance).

    5. Prepare a slide show program (preferably with dark background), which
    would advance to the next photo when you press a key.

    6. Darken EVERYTHING in your room (lights, etc.) - the only source of light
    is your monitor. Close the doors/windows, in order to avoid reflections on
    the monitor.

    7. Use mirror lock-up and a self-timer, start with exposures of f/5.6 and
    1/2" while you have loaded a Sensia slide film. You can bracket around this
    value by half a stop if you want to be sure.

    The results were very nice in my case (I wanted to project some photos I had
    downloaded from the Internet), even if the resolution wasn't up to
    4000x3000 pixels or somesuch.

    Cheers,
    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, Jul 23, 2006