Digital SLR wanted - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by grubby cherub, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I need some objective shopping advice and thought you might be the
    best people to provide it.

    Some background to explain my tastes/needs:

    Years ago I was addicted to my second-hand Olympus OM10 - a basic SLR,
    nice and light in the hand, lots of manual functions for maximum
    control. I was a student back then and had plenty of time to mess
    about in the darkroom.

    Now I have less time on my hands, no easy darkroom access, and a job
    that gives me wall-to-wall access to the net - so I've gone digital.
    My three-year-old Canon Digital Ixus is small and convenient, and I
    love spending an afternoon editing the pics on the PC after a day's
    snapping.

    However I'm looking for a camera that combines the control and picture
    quality of my old film camera with the financial advantages of digital
    photography (ie no film... I'm quite a hyperactive snapper). So I'm
    considering splashing serious money on a good digital SLR.

    I'm looking for something with excellent picture quality - principally
    a depth of field that rivals film (is this possible?) and a flash that
    doesn't flatten everything in its sights (that's perhaps the most
    annoying thing about my Ixus). I hate that my current digital pictures
    look so *flat*.

    Any ideas? I'd like to spend less than £1,000, but I realise you tend
    to get what you pay for.

    All advice gratefully welcomed.

    cheers,
    Jane
    grubby cherub, Jan 5, 2004

  2. grubby cherub

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    grubby cherub <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for something with excellent picture quality - principally
    >a depth of field that rivals film (is this possible?) and a flash that
    >doesn't flatten everything in its sights (that's perhaps the most
    >annoying thing about my Ixus). I hate that my current digital pictures
    >look so *flat*.
    >
    >Any ideas? I'd like to spend less than £1,000, but I realise you tend
    >to get what you pay for.

    Canon EOS 300D - can be had for £850ish with the kit lens, and gives picture
    quality that you aren't going to seriously better without spending stupid
    money.
    Chris Brown, Jan 5, 2004

  3. "grubby cherub" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need some objective shopping advice and thought you might be the
    > best people to provide it.

    I would suggest the Canon 300D (Digital Rebel in the US, Kiss Digital
    in Japan) with the kit lens. You'll have everything you need for
    photography and can build your camera system from there. I have one,
    don't regret the purchase at all. It is a fairly solid polycarbonate
    shell on a metal frame, very light, and ergonomic.

    Nikon is expected to announce a similar entry-level DSLR soon, so if
    you're not in a hurry and want to consider an alternative you may want
    to way and see if they make any announcements on that.
    The Black Sheep, Jan 5, 2004
  4. grubby cherub

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > Hello,
    >
    > I need some objective shopping advice and thought you might be the
    > best people to provide it.

    If your purchase can wait a couple of months the PMA show will be held
    mid-February. That is when the new camera's will roll out. I'm going to wait
    till then. Meanwhile I shoot film and scan.

    Jim Waggener, Jan 5, 2004
  5. Thanks for the advice. It's tempting to splash out on a Canon EOS 5000
    now, but having read some varied reports on this board I've decided to
    wait a couple of months to see what else rolls out.
    grubby cherub, Jan 8, 2004
  6. grubby cherub

    Arthur Small Guest

    If you wait a couple of months you will see news of new cameras coming in a
    couple of months and in a couple of months.....
    Arthur Small, Jan 8, 2004
  7. grubby cherub

    AA Bob Guest

    If you have to ask, then the Canon Digital Rebel (300D) is for you.
    AA Bob, Jan 9, 2004