    Any suggestions?
    THanks.

    , Jan 26, 2009

  2. Guest

    On Jan 26, 3:09 pm, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > HI all,

    > > Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    > > quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature
    > > rich but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something
    > > in the 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but
    > > there's just TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a
    > > shortlist of the best ones.
    > > Any suggestions?
    > > THanks.

    > What subjects did you have in mind?
    >
    >    BugBear

    Absolutely nothing in particular, but decent macro and zoom functions
    would be a distinct advantage.

    , Jan 26, 2009

  3. ray Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:20:18 -0800, orion.osiris wrote:

    > HI all,
    >
    > Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    > quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature rich
    > but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something in the
    > 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but there's just
    > TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a shortlist of the
    > best ones.
    > Any suggestions?
    > THanks.

    I would stronly suggest you visit some local stores and handle some of
    the models rather than trying to do it solely by the stat sheets. There
    will be some that will fit you better, or that will have menu setups
    which make more or less sense to you. It's a bad move to buy one from the
    stats and then find out there are features you curse at every time you
    pick up the camera.

    ray, Jan 26, 2009
  4. "ray" <> wrote in message

    > I would stronly suggest you visit some local stores and handle some of
    > the models...

    Careful -- you can get on the sex offenders list that way.

    Andrew Koenig, Jan 26, 2009
  5. wrote:
    >On Jan 26, 3:09 pm, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> > Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500[...]

    >> What subjects did you have in mind?

    >Absolutely nothing in particular, but decent macro and zoom functions
    >would be a distinct advantage.

    Neither of which have anything to do with the camera but everything with
    the lens.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 26, 2009
  6. ray Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:28:53 +0000, Andrew Koenig wrote:

    > "ray" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I would stronly suggest you visit some local stores and handle some of
    >> the models...

    > Careful -- you can get on the sex offenders list that way.

    Only if they're not willing!

    ray, Jan 26, 2009
  7. Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:20:18 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    > HI all,
    >
    > Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    > quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature
    > rich but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something
    > in the 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but
    > there's just TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a
    > shortlist of the best ones.
    > Any suggestions?
    > THanks.

    Sony A350

    , Jan 26, 2009
  8. Guest

    On Jan 26, 9:34 pm, wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:20:18 -0800 (PST),   wrote:
    > > HI all,

    > > Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    > > quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature
    > > rich but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something
    > > in the 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but
    > > there's just TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a
    > > shortlist of the best ones.
    > > Any suggestions?
    > > THanks.

    > Sony A350

    Thanks for the only genuine recommendation this thread has thus far
    produced. And thanks for not trying to be a third-rate, smart-arsed
    commedian.
    As for the rest of you, thanks for **** All.

    , Jan 26, 2009
  9. tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:51:09 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

    >On Jan 26, 9:34 pm, wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:20:18 -0800 (PST),   wrote:
    >> > HI all,

    >> > Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    >> > quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature
    >> > rich but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something
    >> > in the 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but
    >> > there's just TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a
    >> > shortlist of the best ones.
    >> > Any suggestions?
    >> > THanks.

    >> Sony A350

    >Thanks for the only genuine recommendation this thread has thus far
    >produced. And thanks for not trying to be a third-rate, smart-arsed
    >commedian.
    >As for the rest of you, thanks for **** All.

    I read the other replies, and they were quite reasonable. Your
    question is too general. Without knowing what the application will
    be, no one can make a good recommendation. Any camera should be
    handled by the potential buyer before purchase. We have no idea what
    you mean by "overly complex", but you should be able to tell if one
    is, or is not, by handling it. Macro *is* a function of the lens and
    not the body. Any camera with sufficient pixels available takes good
    landscape shots if you set it to automatic, point it, and press the
    button.

    You haven't explained why you need or want 12 megapixels. There
    should be a reason specified if this is important to you. The Sony
    A350 is about 10% over your figure of 500 quid (w/18/55 lens), and may
    be more than that in the UK.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jan 26, 2009
  10. Charles Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Jan 26, 9:34 pm, wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:20:18 -0800 (PST), wrote:
    > > HI all,

    > > Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    > > quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature
    > > rich but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something
    > > in the 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but
    > > there's just TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a
    > > shortlist of the best ones.
    > > Any suggestions?
    > > THanks.

    > Sony A350

    Thanks for the only genuine recommendation this thread has thus far
    produced. And thanks for not trying to be a third-rate, smart-arsed
    commedian.
    As for the rest of you, thanks for **** All.

    But, that Sony could be very wrong for you!

    If you want to, you can check out this resource where they have a nice
    feature to compare cameras: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

    Charles, Jan 26, 2009
  11. wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 9:34 pm, wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:20:18 -0800 (PST), wrote:
    >>> HI all,
    >>> Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    >>> quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature
    >>> rich but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something
    >>> in the 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but
    >>> there's just TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a
    >>> shortlist of the best ones.
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>> THanks.

    >> Sony A350

    > Thanks for the only genuine recommendation this thread has thus far
    > produced. And thanks for not trying to be a third-rate, smart-arsed
    > commedian.
    > As for the rest of you, thanks for **** All.

    You were given at least one good suggestion, and you were awfully vague
    in the questions you asked. And yes, some smarty replies, too.

    This is usenet.

    --
    lsmft

    John McWilliams, Jan 26, 2009
  12. wrote:
    >On Jan 26, 9:34 pm, wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:20:18 -0800 (PST),   wrote:

    >> > Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    >> > quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature
    >> > rich but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something
    >> > in the 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but
    >> > there's just TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a
    >> > shortlist of the best ones.
    >> > Any suggestions?
    >> > THanks.

    >> Sony A350

    >Thanks for the only genuine recommendation this thread has thus far
    >produced. And thanks for not trying to be a third-rate, smart-arsed
    >commedian.
    >As for the rest of you, thanks for **** All.

    Dear Mr. Osiris

    You may not like it or you not even realize it, but all the replies I
    have seen so far are very much spot on. You question is just too
    ambiguous for a sound recommendation.

    Let's look at the details, shall we?

    - "digital SLR of around 500 quid/euros"

    Excellent, that is a good requirement. "Good" because it can be checked
    very easily. In fact it eliminates all dSLRs but the entry level
    cameras like the D40/40x/60 from Nikon or the somewhat older D80. Even
    the D90 is out because it costs significantly more.
    For other manufactureres please see for yourself at e.g.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ice_ 0 <= <= 599.99&basicSubmit=Submit Query
    for a very good overview (I was looking for 500$ limit, but you can
    easily adjust the query yourself). And although this query returns 27
    results, many of those are duplicates because they feature the same
    camera, just with different lenses or grey verus legitimate import.
    In addition to the Nikons you get the different versions Canon's Rebel,
    and some more entry-level cameras from other manufacturer. All in all
    there are less than maybe 10 substantially different cameras.
    However strictly speaking even this criteria is ambiguoius because you
    didn't say if you 500E limit is for the body alone or for a camera+lens
    kit.

    - "high quality, sharp prints"
    cameras don't produce prints, they produce digital images. If you are
    looking for high quality, sharp prints then first of all you need to
    look at your photo editing software, the printer driver, and the printer
    itself.
    Now, nobody is disputing that the lens, the sensor, the in-camera
    electronics, the in-camera software, and other items have an effect on
    picture quality. But that is a different (and very much disputed)
    question, which you did not ask!

    - "feature rich but not overly complex to operate"
    Only _YOU_ can decide what you consider feature rich and what you
    consider overly complex. A certain menu structure may be ideal for some
    people while others couldn't manage it even if their life depends on it.
    Same goes for buttons and switches and toggles. Therefore the very valid
    suggestion to actually handle the camera in a store before buying it.
    One person's junk is the other person's treasure!

    - "12 MP range": well, that's obviously easy to search for. In the
    results from the link above just click on 12MegaPixel link in the left
    pane and you got 2 results left.

    - "decent macro and zoom functions" (from a different branch of this
    thread):
    This requirement makes me wonder what you are talking about. Are you
    aware that the main feature that differentiates an SLR from a P&S is the
    ability to use different lenses? There is nothing(*) in a SLR camera
    that supports or deals with macro or zoom photography, it is all a
    feature of the lens.
    *: Note: there are a few features that may be helpful for special
    situations, like e.g. support for an external flash, such that you can
    use a circular ring flash around the lens for macro photography. Or if a
    very specific macro lens cannot be mounted on a specific camera because
    the lens requires e.g. mirror lockup which the camera doesn't support.
    But those are rather far fetched examples and way too specific for your
    very general question.

    To give you may take on your question:
    All current cameras in this price range are taking good photos. You, as
    a beginner, will probably not be able to see much difference in the
    photos between different makes and models. Neither would I or the vast
    majority of people.
    Therefore handling, weight, size, and _YOUR_ personal feel for the
    camera are much more important to _YOU_ than any suggestion by someone
    else about camera X having 1% more sharpness than camera Y.

    Still way more important is to remember that you are not buying just a
    single camera with a single lens. Instead you are committing to a system
    with bodies, lenses and attachements that reach back 40+ years and which
    normally are not interchangable between manufacturers and sometimes not
    even between lens mounts or camera lines of the same manufacturer.
    Therefore I strongly suggest to carefully consider which system is most
    compatible with your anticipated needs and maybe even your
    not-anticipated desires. Example: once you get a set of lenses maybe you
    want to upgrade the body. Can you do that and do you have some variety
    or are you stuck with a max of 2 different bodies and 5 different lenses
    to choose from because that's all that there is in the system?

    Sincerly

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 27, 2009
  13. tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:47:57 -0800, Jürgen Exner
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:

    >>> Sony A350

    >>Thanks for the only genuine recommendation this thread has thus far
    >>produced. And thanks for not trying to be a third-rate, smart-arsed
    >>commedian.
    >>As for the rest of you, thanks for **** All.

    >Dear Mr. Osiris
    >
    >You may not like it or you not even realize it, but all the replies I
    >have seen so far are very much spot on. You question is just too
    >ambiguous for a sound recommendation.
    >
    >Let's look at the details, shall we?
    >
    >- "digital SLR of around 500 quid/euros"
    >
    >Excellent, that is a good requirement. "Good" because it can be checked
    >very easily. In fact it eliminates all dSLRs but the entry level
    >cameras like the D40/40x/60 from Nikon or the somewhat older D80. Even
    >the D90 is out because it costs significantly more.
    >For other manufactureres please see for yourself at e.g.
    >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ice_ 0 <= <= 599.99&basicSubmit=Submit Query
    >for a very good overview (I was looking for 500$ limit,

    500 euros = US$658
    500 GBP (UK) = US$698
    500 AUD (Oz)= US$330

    US prices will not necessarily be the same as UK or European prices
    for the same camera. UK prices will always include VAT. US online
    prices are often tax-free and freight-free.

    He can buy a Nikon D40 or D40X, Pentax K10D, or a Canon Rebel (or the
    UK versions) with one lens for that money in the UK, but the money
    won't stretch to two lenses. I don't think he'll swing a 12 megapixel
    camera, though.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jan 27, 2009
  14. ray Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:51:09 -0800, orion.osiris wrote:

    > On Jan 26, 9:34 pm, wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:20:18 -0800 (PST),
    >> wrote:
    >> > HI all,

    >> > Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    >> > quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature
    >> > rich but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something
    >> > in the 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but
    >> > there's just TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a
    >> > shortlist of the best ones.
    >> > Any suggestions?
    >> > THanks.

    >> Sony A350

    > Thanks for the only genuine recommendation this thread has thus far
    > produced. And thanks for not trying to be a third-rate, smart-arsed
    > commedian.
    > As for the rest of you, thanks for **** All.

    You're quite welcome, jackass.

    ray, Jan 27, 2009
  15. Me Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2009-01-26 05:20:18 -0800, said:
    >
    >> HI all,
    >>
    >> Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    >> quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature
    >> rich but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something
    >> in the 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but
    >> there's just TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a
    >> shortlist of the best ones.
    >> Any suggestions?
    >> THanks.

    > Coming to this NG with this type of query is only likely to provoke the
    > usual suspects and has a trollish smell to it.
    >
    > Giving you the benefit of doubt, I suggest you return to the reviews
    > http://www.dpreview.com/ or any others out there (Google is your friend)
    > check on the entry level offerings from Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic
    > & Sony and make your own decision.

    But don't buy:
    Nikon - because Canon make their own sensors, which must be a better
    idea, and they use "fluorite" glass in some of their lenses
    Canon - because their kit lenses are pretty bad, and QA atrocious
    Pentax - because they don't make any professional slrs
    Panasonic - because nobody else buys them
    Sony - because they are going bankrupt at the moment, and will stop
    supporting their dslr line

    You forgot Olympus and Samsung, but as they're much the same as other
    brands above, no comment is really needed.

    You also forgot Sigma - with foveon sensor, the only truly different
    dslr in the marketplace.

    Me, Jan 27, 2009
  16. Matt Ion Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:20:18 -0800, orion.osiris wrote:
    >
    >> HI all,
    >>
    >> Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    >> quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature rich
    >> but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something in the
    >> 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but there's just
    >> TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a shortlist of the
    >> best ones.
    >> Any suggestions?
    >> THanks.

    > I would stronly suggest you visit some local stores and handle some of
    > the models rather than trying to do it solely by the stat sheets. There
    > will be some that will fit you better, or that will have menu setups
    > which make more or less sense to you. It's a bad move to buy one from the
    > stats and then find out there are features you curse at every time you
    > pick up the camera.

    This is not "third-rate" or "smart-assed" advice, but indeed, the BEST
    advice.

    Just about any DSLR you can buy today will fit the criteria you've
    listed. Frankly, most people here would be hard-pressed to tell the
    difference in their outputs in a "blind" comparison.

    My philosophy is that the BEST camera is ALWAYS the one that GETS USED.
    If, as ray suggests, you get a camera whose operation and ergonomics
    leave you cursing at it, it's more likely to sit on a shelf collecting
    dust than actually taking pictures... and at that point, all the specs
    and minute, unnoticeable, barely measurable technical differences become
    absolutely meaningless.

    Ultimately, the only one who can decided what camera is best FOR YOU, is
    YOU. Others can tell you what they do or don't like about certain
    models or brands, but in the end, only you'll know what you find
    comfortable, and most importantly, ENJOYABLE TO USE!

    Matt Ion, Jan 27, 2009
  17. Paul Furman Guest

    Me wrote:
    > Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2009-01-26 05:20:18 -0800, said:
    >>
    >>> HI all,
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    >>> quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature
    >>> rich but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something
    >>> in the 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but
    >>> there's just TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a
    >>> shortlist of the best ones.
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>> THanks.

    >> Coming to this NG with this type of query is only likely to provoke
    >> the usual suspects and has a trollish smell to it.
    >>
    >> Giving you the benefit of doubt, I suggest you return to the reviews
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/ or any others out there (Google is your
    >> friend) check on the entry level offerings from Nikon, Canon, Pentax,
    >> Panasonic & Sony and make your own decision.
    >>

    > But don't buy:
    > Nikon - because Canon make their own sensors, which must be a better
    > idea, and they use "fluorite" glass in some of their lenses
    > Canon - because their kit lenses are pretty bad, and QA atrocious
    > Pentax - because they don't make any professional slrs
    > Panasonic - because nobody else buys them
    > Sony - because they are going bankrupt at the moment, and will stop
    > supporting their dslr line
    >
    > You forgot Olympus and Samsung, but as they're much the same as other
    > brands above, no comment is really needed.
    >
    > You also forgot Sigma - with foveon sensor, the only truly different
    > dslr in the marketplace.

    Don't get Kodak or Fuji either.

    Paul Furman, Jan 27, 2009
  18. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 3:09 pm, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> HI all,
    >>> Can anyone make a recomendation of a decent digital SLR of around 500
    >>> quid/euros which produces high quality, sharp prints and is feature
    >>> rich but not overly complex to operate? I'm hoping to find something
    >>> in the 12 Megapixel range ideally. I've tried reading reviews, but
    >>> there's just TOO much choice out there and I need pointers for a
    >>> shortlist of the best ones.
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>> THanks.

    >> What subjects did you have in mind?
    >>
    >> BugBear

    > Absolutely nothing in particular, but decent macro and zoom functions
    > would be a distinct advantage.

    Please don't get me wrong.
    I mean no disrespect and am not trying to give a smartass answer.
    But if you have no special NEEDS and you particularly WANT good MACRO
    and TELE capability, you should perhaps consider something other than a
    DSLR. Also if you plan to print images 8x10 or less you probably don't
    need or want 12 MP. Most entry level DSLRs with Kit lenses cannot focus
    close enough to fill the frame with objects smaller than 1.5 inches so
    macro is not their strong suit. Also, most kit lenses do not have more
    than about 5x zoom, so tele is not their strong suit either. (Of course,
    both of these shortcomings can be rectified with additional or
    supplemental lenses, but that gets to be expensive and a hassle.)
    I think that you should at least look at superzooms or ZLRs as they are
    called. Most allow you to make full frame copies of slides and insects,
    jewelry, and other small objects 1.5 inches or greater in length. Most
    ZLRs now have 12X or greater zoom range, so they are great for birding
    and shots of zoo animals. Their biggest problem is "noise" at very low
    light levels.
    But if you do mainly outdoor shooting or can use flash assist indoors,
    this deficiency in ZLRs is more than compensated for by their
    versatility and convenience.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 27, 2009
  19. Guest

    On Jan 27, 11:43 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >> Sony A350

    > > Thanks for the only genuine recommendation this thread has thus far
    > > produced. And thanks for not trying to be a third-rate, smart-arsed
    > > commedian.
    > > As for the rest of you, thanks for **** All.

    > I can only apologise for not curing your ignorance.
    >
    >    BugBear

    Yes, well I remain ignorant, I'm afraid.

    I've got a nice long list of what NOT to buy and that's about all.
    Thanks to those who HAVE tried to help, though. No offence intended
    towards THEM.

    , Jan 27, 2009
  20. wrote:
    > On Jan 27, 11:43 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>
    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Thanks for the only genuine recommendation this thread has thus far
    >>> produced. And thanks for not trying to be a third-rate, smart-arsed
    >>> commedian.
    >>> As for the rest of you, thanks for **** All.

    >> I can only apologise for not curing your ignorance.
    >>
    >> BugBear

    > Yes, well I remain ignorant, I'm afraid.
    >
    > I've got a nice long list of what NOT to buy and that's about all.
    > Thanks to those who HAVE tried to help, though. No offence intended
    > towards THEM.

    Been happy with a Nikon D80, you can probably find a used one somewhere
    (ebay, etc...)

    But your question is like asking a recommendation for a car nowadays.
    "Only requirements are a having steering wheel, ability to reverse,
    rearview mirror in the center and decent stereo. Red paint is a plus."
    Difficult to recommend something based on you criteria.

    I hope you'll find what you're looking for :)

    Lorenzo

    Lorenzo Sandini, Jan 27, 2009