    Thanks

    --
    ETV

    Eric The Viking, Nov 12, 2006

  2. Eric The Viking

    Pete D Guest

    K100D is the newer model that has Image Stabilization built in to the body.
    Both are great little cameras but the K100D is better.

    Pete D, Nov 12, 2006

  3. Eric The Viking

    JohnR66 Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking to buy a Pentax DSLR for my wife and have narrowed my choice
    > down to the K100D and *istDL2 but don't know how to choose between them.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend which one to go for, and why? What is the difference
    > between the K series and teh *ist series?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > ETV

    Image quality wise, the newer K versions are said to do better in resolution
    as the *ist cameras seemed to lag behind the other makes.
    If you want 10 megapixels, Pentax has body due out in a few days. It will be
    the best spec'ed sub $1000 dSLR available.
    John

    JohnR66, Nov 12, 2006
  4. Eric The Viking

    Pete D Guest

    "JohnR66" <> wrote in message
    > "Eric The Viking" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am looking to buy a Pentax DSLR for my wife and have narrowed my choice
    >> down to the K100D and *istDL2 but don't know how to choose between them.
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend which one to go for, and why? What is the difference
    >> between the K series and teh *ist series?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> --
    >> ETV
    >>

    > Image quality wise, the newer K versions are said to do better in
    > resolution as the *ist cameras seemed to lag behind the other makes.

    By whos reckoning they still use the same sensor, jpeg maybe not as good
    with the DS/DL but the RAWs are the equal of any other 6MP D-SLR.

    > If you want 10 megapixels, Pentax has body due out in a few days. It will
    > be the best spec'ed sub $1000 dSLR available.

    Yes but it is not a beginners camera.

    Pete D, Nov 13, 2006
  5. Eric The Viking

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Pete D <> wrote:

    > "JohnR66" <> wrote in message

    [..]
    > > Image quality wise, the newer K versions are said to do better in
    > > resolution as the *ist cameras seemed to lag behind the other makes.

    > By whos reckoning they still use the same sensor, jpeg maybe not as good
    > with the DS/DL but the RAWs are the equal of any other 6MP D-SLR.

    This is absolutely true, and if you can live with the workflow, then
    there's really no difference between the *ists and the K1x0s.

    > > If you want 10 megapixels, Pentax has body due out in a few days. It
    > > will be the best spec'ed sub $1000 dSLR available.

    > Yes but it is not a beginners camera.

    Everyone's a beginner at something. No one should avoid learning things
    because they don't yet understand them.

    The K10D has automatic features as well as whatsits and geegaws for the
    more knowlegeable. Why would a beginner who's enthusiastic about
    photography not want to get the better model?

    Paul Mitchum, Nov 13, 2006
  6. Eric The Viking

    Pete D Guest

    "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > Pete D <> wrote:
    >
    >> "JohnR66" <> wrote in message

    > [..]
    >> > Image quality wise, the newer K versions are said to do better in
    >> > resolution as the *ist cameras seemed to lag behind the other makes.

    >> By whos reckoning they still use the same sensor, jpeg maybe not as good
    >> with the DS/DL but the RAWs are the equal of any other 6MP D-SLR.

    > This is absolutely true, and if you can live with the workflow, then
    > there's really no difference between the *ists and the K1x0s.

    I think SR is a plus, one of the reasons I am getting a K10D.

    >> > If you want 10 megapixels, Pentax has body due out in a few days. It
    >> > will be the best spec'ed sub $1000 dSLR available.

    >> Yes but it is not a beginners camera.

    > Everyone's a beginner at something. No one should avoid learning things
    > because they don't yet understand them.
    >
    > The K10D has automatic features as well as whatsits and geegaws for the
    > more knowlegeable. Why would a beginner who's enthusiastic about
    > photography not want to get the better model?

    Sure why not, enthusiastic is good but I suspect that many will fall by the
    wayside if the learning curve is too steep, the K100D is about half the
    price and that will be a an attraction for many. I have noticed a lot more
    friends and work colleages asking about the cheaper Pentaxes recently and
    the reason they state is that they can now justify the price, for some,
    price a very large consideration that they simply cannot get around, for
    others the simplicity is the key. Many of these people either ahve never had
    an SLR or have had one but never took many shots because of the perceived
    high cost and steep learning curve to get the best from their equipment.

    Pete D, Nov 13, 2006

    : > Pete D <> wrote:
    : > Everyone's a beginner at something. No one should avoid learning
    : > things because they don't yet understand them.
    : >
[...]

    True. One other thing to concider when choosing between two nearly equal
    cameras is what features you want to use. For example if the photographer
    has a passion for macro photography where camera shake can be a problem,
    choosing one camera that offers a wired remote shutter release over one
    without that option may make the difference.

    I have not specifically looked at the options and functions available on
    these two specific cameras, but sometimes something as simple as a wired
    remote or a no flash mode available to someone who will likely use this
    item or mode can make the decision easier.

    Of course this level of choice only comes after the major selling points
    (such as resolution, storage formats, lens availablilty, etc) have already
    balanced out. And has been mentioned before there is also the choice of
    what the purchasers budget can manage. :) And in this last you also have
    to count the cost of accessories. An inexpensive body with lenses that run
    double or triple the cost of another camera with a slightly higher body
    cost, but less expensive lenses, may push the expensive body into a better
    category of affordability. :)

    No one camera is perfect for all of us. Even if some around here seem to
    think so. ;)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Nov 13, 2006
  8. Eric The Viking

    Pete D Guest

    "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message
    > Pete D <> wrote:
    >
    > : "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > : news:1hopn8r.66b9gj1voqxxyN%0m...
    > : > Pete D <> wrote:
    > : > Everyone's a beginner at something. No one should avoid learning
    > : > things because they don't yet understand them.
    > : >
    > : > The K10D has automatic features as well as whatsits and geegaws for
    > : > the more knowlegeable. Why would a beginner who's enthusiastic about
    > : > photography not want to get the better model?
    >
    > : Sure why not, enthusiastic is good but I suspect that many will fall by
    > : thewayside if the learning curve is too steep, the K100D is about half
    > : the price and that will be a an attraction for many. I have noticed a
    > : lot more friends and work colleages asking about the cheaper Pentaxes
    > : recently and the reason they state is that they can now justify the
    > : price, for some, price a very large consideration that they simply
    > : cannot get around, for others the simplicity is the key. Many of these
    > : people either ahve never had an SLR or have had one but never took many
    > : shots because of the perceived high cost and steep learning curve to
    > : get the best from their equipment.
    >
    > True. One other thing to concider when choosing between two nearly equal
    > cameras is what features you want to use. For example if the photographer
    > has a passion for macro photography where camera shake can be a problem,
    > choosing one camera that offers a wired remote shutter release over one
    > without that option may make the difference.
    >
    > I have not specifically looked at the options and functions available on
    > these two specific cameras, but sometimes something as simple as a wired
    > remote or a no flash mode available to someone who will likely use this
    > item or mode can make the decision easier.

    Funny you should mention features like these, Pentax is probably the only
    manufacturer that has all the wanted features even on its lesser models.

    Mirror Lock Up
    Meter with all lenses that can be attached
    Cable shutter release as well as IR release
    Spot metering
    Dark Frame Subtraction
    Fit all older lenses ever made to fit a Pentax camera and any other lens
    with an adapter

    > Of course this level of choice only comes after the major selling points
    > (such as resolution, storage formats, lens availablilty, etc) have already
    > balanced out. And has been mentioned before there is also the choice of
    > what the purchasers budget can manage. :) And in this last you also have
    > to count the cost of accessories. An inexpensive body with lenses that run
    > double or triple the cost of another camera with a slightly higher body
    > cost, but less expensive lenses, may push the expensive body into a better
    > category of affordability. :)

    Great range of after market lenses at just about every price point

    Pete D, Nov 13, 2006
  9. "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> No one camera is perfect for all of us. Even if some around here seem to
    >> think so. ;)
    >>
    >> Randy
    >>
    >> ==========
    >> Randy Berbaum
    >> Champaign, IL

    Thanks for all the replies! The K100D is looking good at the moment, it's a
    good price and has everything we're looking for and more.

    K10D is very tempting, I like the fact it has the Lithium battery pack as
    standard, but downsides are price and the fact it is a bit bigger than the
    K100D.

    Again, thanks for the help.

    --
    ETV

    Eric The Viking, Nov 13, 2006
  10. Eric The Viking

    Pete D Guest

    > "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >

    >>> No one camera is perfect for all of us. Even if some around here seem to
    >>> think so. ;)
    >>>
    >>> Randy
    >>>
    >>> ==========
    >>> Randy Berbaum
    >>> Champaign, IL
    >>>

    > Thanks for all the replies! The K100D is looking good at the moment, it's
    > a good price and has everything we're looking for and more.
    >
    > K10D is very tempting, I like the fact it has the Lithium battery pack as
    > standard, but downsides are price and the fact it is a bit bigger than the
    > K100D.
    >
    > Again, thanks for the help.
    >
    > --
    > ETV

    I have been using NiMh batteries in my DS for two years and they have been
    great. I did get a good quality fast charger that does individual cells and
    have four packs ready to go, I just slip each set into a small ziplock bag
    and that keeps them as a set. I do only use brand name cells, I would
    suggest you do the same.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Nov 13, 2006
  11. Eric The Viking

    Guest

    Hi,

    I am very new with cameras and a few people told me that the Pentax
    basic SLR will do my nicely without paying too much. The problem is, I
    didnt know that Pentax has different series and models within those
    price range. I was offered a package deal in one camera shop for the
    K100D and went to another shop and saw a similar camera (which of
    course is the ist DL) for $100 less and so being gulible, I went and
    bought it straight away.

    I came home realising that the istDL is an older version.

    I thought that what the camera shop was really dishonest and not
    telling the facts. Anyway, my fault as well for being too gullible.

    My question is, whether the istDL (being an older version) will do much
    worse than the K100. I need it to take product photos for catalogue and
    so I thought I would need the Shake Reduction system?????

    , Nov 15, 2006
  12. Eric The Viking

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am very new with cameras and a few people told me that the Pentax
    > basic SLR will do my nicely without paying too much. The problem is, I
    > didnt know that Pentax has different series and models within those
    > price range. I was offered a package deal in one camera shop for the
    > K100D and went to another shop and saw a similar camera (which of
    > course is the ist DL) for $100 less and so being gulible, I went and
    > bought it straight away.
    >
    > I came home realising that the istDL is an older version.
    >
    > I thought that what the camera shop was really dishonest and not
    > telling the facts. Anyway, my fault as well for being too gullible.
    >
    > My question is, whether the istDL (being an older version) will do much
    > worse than the K100. I need it to take product photos for catalogue and
    > so I thought I would need the Shake Reduction system?????

    If you needed the shake reduction, then you needed the K100.

    The other major difference between the two are that the DL has a
    penta-mirror viewfinder, whereas the K100 has a penta-prism. This means
    the K100 will likely have a brighter viewfinder (I say likely because I
    haven't had both in my hands to make the comparison).

    The way you should have looked at it was this: You'd get shake reduction
    and a brighter viewfinder for only $100 more. Whether you should return
    the DL is up to you, of course. The DL will still serve you well, just
    not quite as well as the K100 would.

    Also: For product photography, you really should use a tripod. And if
    you're using a tripod, you don't need shake reduction. Use the $100 you
    saved to get a decent tripod and ball head.

    Paul Mitchum, Nov 15, 2006