    TIA
    --
    John
    Robert Bristow, Aug 29, 2008

  2. Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 29, 2008

  3. You get "digital signature" warnings for two possible cases:

    (A) Installing unsigned kernel-mode drivers. You can't actually install
    unsigned kernel-mode drivers on Windows Vista x64, so this warning is fatal.

    (B) Running applications that are prompting for administrator elevation. The
    prompt itself is (1) blue for a Microsoft Windows code signature, (2) grey
    for a non-Microsoft signature, or (3) yellow for unsigned.

    Note that there is no "Microsoft registration" happening here. The publisher
    of any given piece of software is free to sign it themselves directly. This
    is essentially the same technology used for "https" websites. In both cases,
    the company buys a certificate from a 3rd party vendor that will validate
    it's really them. If you are installing random software off the Internet or
    open source software without a company affiliation, then there's no way to
    know if the software is what it claims to be or something designed to steal
    your password and information. At that point, it's up to you. At least with
    the prompt, you can try to make some kind of guess.

    --
    -Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, XNA Developer Connection

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties, and confers no rights.
    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], Aug 30, 2008
  4. Actually, there's a fourth - you get red for a signature that's an untrusted
    signature. One that MS hasn't approved. I know this from installing
    FabulaTech USB over Internet product, which IS signed, but there's an issue
    with the signature. Oh, and you CAN install it, and it does work.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 30, 2008
  5. In message <#>, Charlie Russel - MVP
    <> writes
    >no. Be thankful it's there.

    Sorry I should have been a little more specific.

    I have used the software for around 12 years now and trust it. And,
    whilst I am thankful for it in a few cases, in others it is a pain that
    I would like to turn off for that program only.

    It is my belief that too many unnecessary warnings that you get used to
    automatically over riding leads to reflex over riding at the wrong time.
    --
    John
    Robert Bristow, Aug 30, 2008