    says I do not have a license for all of my songs. I have a total of 62 songs
    and I do not want to have to re-pay for each song. What can I do to fix
    this??
    Viper, Nov 17, 2006

  2. Viper

    Viper Guest

    What is a good Pay service to downlaod songs? One that I really do not have
    to worrie about the DRM and I can copy to one hard drive (to back up) incase
    windows crases and then I can copy back to the windows hard drive with out
    having to buy the song again or calling any one to get the DRM reset?
    Viper, Nov 17, 2006

  3. Viper

    beenthere Guest

    "Viper" <> wrote in message
    >I have downloaded songs form Wal-mart.com and Verizon Wireless's v-cast
    >music ( No longer a Verizon Wireless customer, Switched to Cingular -
    >Cingular 3125 SmartPhone) and I an wanting to know is there a way to get
    >around the DRM on the songs I downloaded from Wal-Mart and Verizon? I
    >copied the My music folder to my D hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP
    >home sp2 ( With all the Windows Updates installed) now I copied the My
    >music folder from the D drive back to the C drive and now Windows Media
    >Player ( ver10) says I do not have a license for all of my songs. I have a
    >total of 62 songs and I do not want to have to re-pay for each song. What
    >can I do to fix this??

    This is the Evil of DRM !.
    Your licence disappeared with your OS (when you re-installed).
    If you had done a OS repair you would still have your licence.
    And as you`ve moved to Cingular, I don`t see how you can
    recover the right to use the music you bought and paid for.

    You should have burned your music to CD.
    Sorry about that.

    bw..OJ
    beenthere, Nov 17, 2006
  4. Viper

    thanatoid Guest

    "Viper" <> wrote in

    > What is a good Pay service to downlaod songs? One that I
    > really do not have to worrie about the DRM and I can copy
    > to one hard drive (to back up) incase windows crases and
    > then I can copy back to the windows hard drive with out
    > having to buy the song again or calling any one to get the
    > DRM reset?

    There is no good pay service, they all include DRM to a greater
    or lesser extent, let alone those using the WMA format
    exclusively. DRM is the greedy entertainment industry's last
    attempt at fucking the consumer over. If everyone in the
    civilized world paid a flat fee of $5 or $8 a month (like people
    do in countries where you can listen to the radio without
    hearing toilet bowl cleaner commercials every 3 minutes), all
    music could be free and everyone's profits would be the same or
    better. But NOOOOOOOOOO, we'll fine a 12 year old girl who has a
    theme to a TV show on her computer $2,000 instead! (Documented
    case).

    There was a great article recently in a British newspaper by a
    guy who's been in the music industry for years and he says DRM
    is dead - not officially yet, of course. It will all resolve
    itself within a few years. Dinosaurs move slowly.

    As for where to get your music, ever heard of the Usenet? Ever
    seen *binaries.mp3* groups?
    thanatoid, Nov 17, 2006
  5. Viper

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Viper.

    In <news:efc69$455ddd96$944e0832$> you wrote:

    > I have downloaded songs form Wal-mart.com and Verizon Wireless's v-cast
    > music ( No longer a Verizon Wireless customer, Switched to Cingular -
    > Cingular 3125 SmartPhone) and I an wanting to know is there a way to get
    > around the DRM on the songs I downloaded from Wal-Mart and Verizon? I copied
    > the My music folder to my D hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP home sp2
    > ( With all the Windows Updates installed) now I copied the My music folder
    > from the D drive back to the C drive and now Windows Media Player ( ver10)
    > says I do not have a license for all of my songs. I have a total of 62 songs
    > and I do not want to have to re-pay for each song. What can I do to fix
    > this??

    If the license won't allow you to use your original purchase username and
    password to renew it then you're royally screwed. I've "purchased" a few
    (all through promotions) and the ones I've got so far allow 3 renewals to
    take this problem into account. This is one of the main reasons legal music
    downloads are fucking shite, another is the download system is usually so
    flaky it's uncomfortable to use. Yet another is the limitation on the media
    player you can use, etc., etc., etc.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Nov 17, 2006
  6. Viper

    Viper Guest

    The only thing I can think of is that the legal music sites and stores where
    you pay and download music do not take account that people may and will have
    problems with their pc's or what ever device you have copy protected music
    and they do not really build in a feature that allows one to re-download or
    back up content that is already paid for. You have to re-pay for the same
    stuff you already paid for. It is all about the mighty dollar. and the
    companies make a ton of money from not having any feature that allows one to
    back up or re-downlaod content already paid for.
    Viper, Nov 17, 2006
  7. Viper

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:35:20 GMT, beenthere wrote:

    >"Viper" <> wrote in message
    >>I have downloaded songs form Wal-mart.com and Verizon Wireless's v-cast
    >>music ( No longer a Verizon Wireless customer, Switched to Cingular -
    >>Cingular 3125 SmartPhone) and I an wanting to know is there a way to get
    >>around the DRM on the songs I downloaded from Wal-Mart and Verizon? I
    >>copied the My music folder to my D hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP
    >>home sp2 ( With all the Windows Updates installed) now I copied the My
    >>music folder from the D drive back to the C drive and now Windows Media
    >>Player ( ver10) says I do not have a license for all of my songs. I have a
    >>total of 62 songs and I do not want to have to re-pay for each song. What
    >>can I do to fix this??

    >This is the Evil of DRM !.

    Exactly, I have seen a few news articles, it's such a great system that-
    End user buys song, DRM allows 8 copies and 4 devices. This of course
    was bought from the ISPs online store. The DRM owner changes rights ,
    the ISP is forced to update and the end user can't play the song anymore
    or transfer it to the new birthday / xmas present.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Nov 17, 2006
  8. Viper

    Guest

    "Viper" <> wrote:

    >I have downloaded songs form Wal-mart.com and Verizon Wireless's v-cast
    >music ( No longer a Verizon Wireless customer, Switched to Cingular -
    >Cingular 3125 SmartPhone) and I an wanting to know is there a way to get
    >around the DRM on the songs I downloaded from Wal-Mart and Verizon? I copied
    >the My music folder to my D hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP home sp2
    >( With all the Windows Updates installed) now I copied the My music folder
    >from the D drive back to the C drive and now Windows Media Player ( ver10)
    >says I do not have a license for all of my songs. I have a total of 62 songs
    >and I do not want to have to re-pay for each song. What can I do to fix
    >this??

    Google hints that: FairUse4WM
    might work for you.

    Search: FairUse4WM Verizon Wireless

    --

    Vista and DRM
    http://tinyurl.com/y35xn8
  9. Viper

    elaich Guest

    "Viper" <> wrote in

    > I have downloaded songs form Wal-mart.com and Verizon Wireless's
    > v-cast music ( No longer a Verizon Wireless customer, Switched to
    > Cingular - Cingular 3125 SmartPhone) and I an wanting to know is there
    > a way to get around the DRM on the songs I downloaded from Wal-Mart
    > and Verizon? I copied the My music folder to my D hard drive and
    > reinstalled Windows XP home sp2 ( With all the Windows Updates
    > installed) now I copied the My music folder from the D drive back to
    > the C drive and now Windows Media Player ( ver10) says I do not have a
    > license for all of my songs. I have a total of 62 songs and I do not
    > want to have to re-pay for each song. What can I do to fix this??

    Get an app that can record music playing through the sound card. I think
    Audacity (free) can do this. Record the song while you are playing it.

    The only thing I found in my short experience with these services is that
    the music is such crappy quality (low bitrate) that you really don't want
    to save it anyway.
    elaich, Nov 18, 2006