Digital replacement for Minolta X-700

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ravens, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. ravens

    ravens Guest

    I've a Minolta X-700 (two actually) and various lens from a 24mm wide to
    a 80-200 zoom. Camera is manual focus, has an aperture priority and
    proram setting, but I usually shoot manual. Subjects include house
    interiors, outdoor nature (macro and telephoto)
    I like to compose and frame the shot, then select aperture/speed
    depending on the effect I want. Two camera bodies means I can mix film
    types, also has a DOF preview. I like to be able to get 8x10 prints done
    sometimes, for my gallery wall.

    Problem is camera bodies are getting old, and need repairs once in a
    while. As well, I'm doing more photos on the web, and scanning is an
    extra step.

    I'm thinking of going digital, but I think to get the image quality I
    want, as well as easy manual control like I have now (without stepping
    thru menues every time) I need to go to something like the Canon Digital
    rebel, or Nikon D70. Which is a big investment.

    Anyone out there been in a similar position, and what was your solution?

    ravens, Aug 10, 2004

  2. ravens

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:50:55 -0400, ravens <> wrote:

    > I've a Minolta X-700 (two actually) and various lens from a 24mm wide to
    > a 80-200 zoom. Camera is manual focus, has an aperture priority and
    > proram setting, but I usually shoot manual. Subjects include house
    > interiors, outdoor nature (macro and telephoto)
    > I like to compose and frame the shot, then select aperture/speed
    > depending on the effect I want. Two camera bodies means I can mix film
    > types, also has a DOF preview. I like to be able to get 8x10 prints done
    > sometimes, for my gallery wall.
    >
    > Problem is camera bodies are getting old, and need repairs once in a
    > while. As well, I'm doing more photos on the web, and scanning is an
    > extra step.
    >
    > I'm thinking of going digital, but I think to get the image quality I
    > want, as well as easy manual control like I have now (without stepping
    > thru menues every time) I need to go to something like the Canon Digital
    > rebel, or Nikon D70. Which is a big investment.
    >
    > Anyone out there been in a similar position, and what was your solution?

    Minolta will soon be introducing a digital SLR body. You should be able to use
    your old lenses with one.

    Ken Oaf, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Ken Oaf <> writes:

    >Minolta will soon be introducing a digital SLR body. You should be able to use
    >your old lenses with one.

    Well, probably not the X-700 is a pre-autofocus SLR which used Minolta
    MC or MD mount lenses. The Maxxum autofocus series brought out a new
    lens mount. I'd expect any digital Minolta would use the current
    autofocus lenses, not the old lenses that were obsoleted a couple of
    decades ago.

    I have an X-570 and even older SR-T101 myself. I like them. But I
    don't expect to see any new cameras that will work with those lenses.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Aug 10, 2004
  4. ravens

    ravens Guest

    Ken Oaf wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:50:55 -0400, ravens <> wrote:
    >

    >>I've a Minolta X-700 (two actually) and various lens from a 24mm wide to
    >>a 80-200 zoom. Camera is manual focus, has an aperture priority and
    >>proram setting, but I usually shoot manual. Subjects include house
    >>interiors, outdoor nature (macro and telephoto)
    >>I like to compose and frame the shot, then select aperture/speed
    >>depending on the effect I want. Two camera bodies means I can mix film
    >>types, also has a DOF preview. I like to be able to get 8x10 prints done
    >>sometimes, for my gallery wall.
    >>
    >>Problem is camera bodies are getting old, and need repairs once in a
    >>while. As well, I'm doing more photos on the web, and scanning is an
    >>extra step.
    >>
    >>I'm thinking of going digital, but I think to get the image quality I
    >>want, as well as easy manual control like I have now (without stepping
    >>thru menues every time) I need to go to something like the Canon Digital
    >>rebel, or Nikon D70. Which is a big investment.
    >>
    >>Anyone out there been in a similar position, and what was your solution?

    > Minolta will soon be introducing a digital SLR body. You should be able to use
    > your old lenses with one.

    I was looking for comments on the transition to digital, but thanks.

    Will my old lenses be that useful, since they are manual focus, and
    supposedly the digital sensor is smaller than the 35mm film format?

    ravens, Aug 10, 2004
  5. ravens

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> ravens <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I've a Minolta X-700 (two actually) and various lens from a 24mm wide
    >> to a 80-200 zoom. Camera is manual focus

    >From: Ken Oaf
    >
    >Minolta will soon be introducing a digital SLR body. You should be able to
    >use your old lenses with one.

    Highly unlikely you can use the old manual focus MC and MD mount lenses for the
    X-700 with the new Minolta digital, which is designed for the AF lenses. Maybe
    there's a converter somewhere that lets you mount them but typically you lose
    most basic features with these type of converters (ie, can only meter in
    stop-down mode, etc).

    Bill Hilton, Aug 10, 2004
  6. ravens

    YoYo Guest

    raven I also own the X-700 (two of them)
    and I finnally updated to digital with
    Canon (gave up waiting for Minolta or MD
    to New conversion).

    The Canon 10D is much better...(worth
    the couple of $hundered more then Rebel)
    what an improvement! And like with my
    Minolta I still take all my photos in
    Manual. A Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro is an
    excellent macro/portrait lens.

    Not to mention with the purchase of a
    printer you remove all film headaches.
    The Canon i9900 is an excellent printer
    and will beat most film prints from
    4"x6" to 13"x19" edge to edge on Photo
    Pro paper.

    Damm I sound like a Canon salesmen but I
    do love the 10D and the i9900.

    Good Luck with whatever you choose.

    YoYo, Aug 11, 2004
  7. ravens

    ravens Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>>ravens <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I've a Minolta X-700 (two actually) and various lens from a 24mm wide
    >>>to a 80-200 zoom. Camera is manual focus

    >>From: Ken Oaf
    >>
    >>Minolta will soon be introducing a digital SLR body. You should be able to
    >>use your old lenses with one.

    > Highly unlikely you can use the old manual focus MC and MD mount lenses for the
    > X-700 with the new Minolta digital, which is designed for the AF lenses. Maybe
    > there's a converter somewhere that lets you mount them but typically you lose
    > most basic features with these type of converters (ie, can only meter in
    > stop-down mode, etc).

    Those were my worries too - thanks for confirming that

    ravens, Aug 11, 2004
  8. ravens

    ravens Guest

    Thanks - appreciate the feedback.
    I see reviews that compare the Nikon D70 very favourably with not only
    the Canon 300D but also the more expensive 10D -I wonder what tipped you
    towards Canon (other than what sounds like a match to a great printer).
    Not sure on the price differences exactly, but here in Canada Henry's
    has following for camra body only
    Canon rebel - $1200
    Canon 10D - $1800
    Nikon D70 - $1500

    All are avail in various packages with a lens

    ravens, Aug 11, 2004
  9. ravens

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: ravens
    >
    >Thanks - appreciate the feedback.
    >I see reviews that compare the Nikon D70 very favourably with not only
    >the Canon 300D but also the more expensive 10D -I wonder what tipped
    >you towards Canon

    Most people who own Canon EF lenses stick with Canon dSLR's and most people
    with Nikon mount lenses stick with Nikon dSLR's when they migrate from film.

    If you're moving over from Minolta and have no lens investments in either
    system then it's a jump ball. The D70 is a pretty appealing product and most
    people looking at this level of body will do well with either it or the 10D.
    On the other hand Canon is more popular with professionals and high-end users
    because of the wider range of lenses with IS (especially the long telephotos)
    and because the Canon pro bodies are better than the Nikon competition,
    especially the 8 Mpix 1D Mark II over the 4 Mpix Nikon D2H and the 11 Mpix
    Canon 1Ds over the Nikon ... uh, Nikon doesn't actually have anything to
    compete with the 1Ds, unless you count the Kodak body with the Nikon mount
    (which most everyone finds substandard). Every couple of months we hear about
    another well-known Nikon pro selling his gear and switching to Canon digital,
    like Jim Brandenburg and Tom Vezo.

    If you're not going to need pro-level gear and don't have several kilo-bucks to
    blow on a super-tele then you should do fine with either the Nikon or the Canon
    consumer models.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 11, 2004
  10. No dSLR will take you obsolete Minolta MD lenses. You will have to buy
    either a Pentax *istD and a Pentax *ist film SLR to find what you seek.
    Alternative choice is more expensive Nikon D70 and a F75 body. The Pentax is
    the one that will accept a lot of manual focus lenses from Pentax, or
    K-Mount lenses.

    Darrell Larose, Aug 12, 2004
  11. "ravens" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks - appreciate the feedback.
    > I see reviews that compare the Nikon D70 very favourably with not only
    > the Canon 300D but also the more expensive 10D -I wonder what tipped you
    > towards Canon (other than what sounds like a match to a great printer).
    > Not sure on the price differences exactly, but here in Canada Henry's
    > has following for camra body only
    > Canon rebel - $1200
    > Canon 10D - $1800
    > Nikon D70 - $1500

    Expect the Digital Rebel to have a price drop in fall as Pentax will have a
    usd $900 dSLR camera/lens kit. I can see Canon dropping theirs to match or
    even undercut.

    Canon 10D fall price drop, end-of-life (EOL) product.

    Nikon D70 are pretty scarce at this time. I have 8 back ordered (pre-sold)
    right now at the store I work at.

    Minolta will release their expensive Digital 7 dSLR (based on Maxxum 7 body)
    and rumours of an econo Maxxum 70 based dSLR.

    Darrell Larose, Aug 12, 2004
  12. ravens

    YoYo Guest

    What tipped me toward Canon is (compared
    to Nikon) the 10D did better ISO then
    Nikon 100 to 200 (honestly was looking
    for 64 or lower). Also I feel better
    with Canon lenses and with there mounts.

    "ravens" <>
    wrote in message
    > Thanks - appreciate the feedback.
    > I see reviews that compare the Nikon

    D70 very favourably with not only
    > the Canon 300D but also the more

    expensive 10D -I wonder what tipped you
    > towards Canon (other than what sounds

    like a match to a great printer).
    > Not sure on the price differences

    exactly, but here in Canada Henry's
    > has following for camra body only
    > Canon rebel - $1200
    > Canon 10D - $1800
    > Nikon D70 - $1500
    >
    > All are avail in various packages with

    a lens

    > YoYo wrote:
    >
    > > raven I also own the X-700 (two of

    them)
    > > and I finnally updated to digital

    with
    > > Canon (gave up waiting for Minolta

    or MD
    > > to New conversion).
    > >
    > > The Canon 10D is much

    better...(worth
    > > the couple of $hundered more then

    Rebel)
    > > what an improvement! And like with

    my
    > > Minolta I still take all my photos

    in
    > > Manual. A Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro

    is an
    > > excellent macro/portrait lens.
    > >
    > > Not to mention with the purchase of

    > > printer you remove all film

    headaches.
    > > The Canon i9900 is an excellent

    printer
    > > and will beat most film prints from
    > > 4"x6" to 13"x19" edge to edge on

    Photo
    > > Pro paper.
    > >
    > > Damm I sound like a Canon salesmen

    but I
    > > do love the 10D and the i9900.
    > >
    > > Good Luck with whatever you choose.
    > >

    > > "ravens"

    <>

    > >>I've a Minolta X-700 (two actually)

    > > and various lens from a 24mm wide to
    > >
    > >>a 80-200 zoom. Camera is manual

    focus,

    > > has an aperture priority and
    > >
    > >>proram setting, but I usually shoot

    > > manual. Subjects include house
    > >
    > >>interiors, outdoor nature (macro and

    > > telephoto)
    > >
    > >>I like to compose and frame the

    shot,

    > > then select aperture/speed
    > >
    > >>depending on the effect I want. Two

    > > camera bodies means I can mix film
    > >
    > >>types, also has a DOF preview. I

    like

    > > to be able to get 8x10 prints done
    > >
    > >>sometimes, for my gallery wall.
    > >>
    > >>Problem is camera bodies are getting

    > > old, and need repairs once in a
    > >
    > >>while. As well, I'm doing more

    photos

    > > on the web, and scanning is an
    > >
    > >>extra step.
    > >>
    > >>I'm thinking of going digital, but I

    > > think to get the image quality I
    > >
    > >>want, as well as easy manual control

    > > like I have now (without stepping
    > >
    > >>thru menues every time) I need to go

    > > to something like the Canon Digital
    > >
    > >>rebel, or Nikon D70. Which is a big

    > > investment.
    > >
    > >>Anyone out there been in a similar

    > > position, and what was your

    solution?

    YoYo, Aug 12, 2004
  13. ravens

    ravens Guest

    I've resigned myself to leaving the Minolta lenses in the cupboard with
    the camera bodies.
    pentax *istD looks interesting - any particular reasons for recommending
    pentax? Do they have a good lens selection too?
    I must admit the first SLR I had years ago was a Pentax SPF - and is
    still around here somewhere.

    ravens, Aug 12, 2004
  14. ravens

    ravens Guest

    Thanks - I haven't actually handled either brand to see how it feels to
    me, and if I like the placement of the buttons and screens - that's
    coming soon.

    ravens, Aug 12, 2004
  15. ravens

    ravens Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    >>From: ravens
    >>
    >>Thanks - appreciate the feedback.
    >>I see reviews that compare the Nikon D70 very favourably with not only
    >>the Canon 300D but also the more expensive 10D -I wonder what tipped
    >>you towards Canon

    > Most people who own Canon EF lenses stick with Canon dSLR's and most people
    > with Nikon mount lenses stick with Nikon dSLR's when they migrate from film.
    >
    > If you're moving over from Minolta and have no lens investments in either
    > system then it's a jump ball. The D70 is a pretty appealing product and most
    > people looking at this level of body will do well with either it or the 10D.
    > On the other hand Canon is more popular with professionals and high-end users
    > because of the wider range of lenses with IS (especially the long telephotos)
    > and because the Canon pro bodies are better than the Nikon competition,
    > especially the 8 Mpix 1D Mark II over the 4 Mpix Nikon D2H and the 11 Mpix
    > Canon 1Ds over the Nikon ... uh, Nikon doesn't actually have anything to
    > compete with the 1Ds, unless you count the Kodak body with the Nikon mount
    > (which most everyone finds substandard). Every couple of months we hear about
    > another well-known Nikon pro selling his gear and switching to Canon digital,
    > like Jim Brandenburg and Tom Vezo.
    >
    > If you're not going to need pro-level gear and don't have several kilo-bucks to
    > blow on a super-tele then you should do fine with either the Nikon or the Canon
    > consumer models.
    >
    > Bill

    Thanks, looks like Nikon D70 vs Canon 300D is a close race - as they
    intend. Lens selection (as in variety and price_ is a point. I will need
    to see what each one feels like "live" - haven't gone that far yet.

    ravens, Aug 12, 2004
  16. ravens

    Steve W. Guest

    "ravens" <> wrote in message
    > I've resigned myself to leaving the Minolta lenses in the cupboard

    with
    > the camera bodies.
    > pentax *istD looks interesting - any particular reasons for

    recommending
    > pentax? Do they have a good lens selection too?
    > I must admit the first SLR I had years ago was a Pentax SPF - and is
    > still around here somewhere.

    I just sent my X-700 out to be checked over and intend to give it to my
    wifes cousins daughter.
    She is taking a photo course in college and was looking for a good film
    camera.
    I picked up a Fuji S5000 for my use. I don't plan on doing as much as I
    used to so figure I don't need to carry as much gear.
    Not a bad first digital. BUT if your doing pro work not as good as the
    newest DSLRs.

    Steve W., Aug 14, 2004
  17. ravens

    Nostrobino Guest

    "ravens" <> wrote in message
    > I've a Minolta X-700 (two actually) and various lens from a 24mm wide to
    > a 80-200 zoom. Camera is manual focus, has an aperture priority and
    > proram setting, but I usually shoot manual. Subjects include house
    > interiors, outdoor nature (macro and telephoto)
    > I like to compose and frame the shot, then select aperture/speed
    > depending on the effect I want. Two camera bodies means I can mix film
    > types, also has a DOF preview. I like to be able to get 8x10 prints done
    > sometimes, for my gallery wall.
    >
    > Problem is camera bodies are getting old, and need repairs once in a
    > while. As well, I'm doing more photos on the web, and scanning is an
    > extra step.
    >
    > I'm thinking of going digital, but I think to get the image quality I
    > want, as well as easy manual control like I have now (without stepping
    > thru menues every time) I need to go to something like the Canon Digital
    > rebel, or Nikon D70. Which is a big investment.
    >
    > Anyone out there been in a similar position, and what was your solution?

    I've used 35mm SLRs for 40+ years, and now almost all my photography is
    digital. Frankly I don't see that there's such a compelling need for an SLR
    in digital photography.

    My best cameras are the Minolta DiMAGE 7i and 7Hi. The 28-200mm (equivalent)
    lens on these is simply superb, the cameras effectively offer most of the
    important features of a true SLR without the drawbacks, and many additional
    capabilities besides that the film cameras never had. I do miss the ability
    to use an ultrawide or fisheye lens, but that's really the only thing. I'll
    keep my 35s for the times I need or want to use such lenses (which,
    considering the relatively special situations, never really was all that
    often anyway).

    N.

    Nostrobino, Aug 22, 2004