    Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
    techniques?

    SLK

    kahalas, Dec 17, 2004

  2. kahalas wrote:
    > Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
    > techniques?

    Paint Shop Pro -> Enhance photo -> Clarify

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 17, 2004

  3. "kahalas" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
    > techniques?

    "Auto Levels" in Photoshop works beautifully on pictures taken out the
    window of an airplane.

    This is assuming the haze is all over the picture. If it's in front of
    distant objects but not foreground objects, then there's no straightforward
    way for the computer to know where to remove it.

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 17, 2004
  4. kahalas

    ZONED! Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:08:11 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >kahalas wrote:
    >> Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
    >> techniques?

    >Paint Shop Pro -> Enhance photo -> Clarify
    >
    >David

    I would like to see some before and after of that effect. Anyone?

    ZONED!, Dec 17, 2004
  5. kahalas

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:06:37 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
    no_email@please_post.net (ZONED!) wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:08:11 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>kahalas wrote:
    >>> Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
    >>> techniques?

    >>Paint Shop Pro -> Enhance photo -> Clarify
    >>

    >I would like to see some before and after of that effect. Anyone?

    Download the demo for yourself?

    http://www.jasc.com/products/?
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Dec 17, 2004
  6. kahalas

    ZONED! Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:46:21 -0500, Ed Ruf <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:06:37 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
    >no_email@please_post.net (ZONED!) wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:08:11 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Paint Shop Pro -> Enhance photo -> Clarify
    >>>

    >>I would like to see some before and after of that effect. Anyone?

    >Download the demo for yourself?
    >
    >http://www.jasc.com/products/?
    >Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    >See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    >http://EdwardGRuf.com

    No thanks :eek:)
    Just wanted to see an example, not worth the time to download, load,
    figure out how to perform the effect and delete all traces from my
    computer just to see one example. Thanks though.

    ZONED!, Dec 17, 2004
  7. kahalas

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:28:28 GMT, in rec.photo.digital
    no_email@please_post.net (ZONED!) wrote:

    >No thanks :eek:)
    >Just wanted to see an example, not worth the time to download, load,
    >figure out how to perform the effect and delete all traces from my
    >computer just to see one example. Thanks though.

    Do a google search on PSP and clarify:

    http://campratty.com/2photos/ppages/p01autotips.html

    and
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0007/00070801psp7beta.asp

    to start.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Dec 17, 2004
  8. kahalas <> writes:

    > Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
    > techniques?

    Generally speaking, simply raising the contrast of that portion of the
    curve does the job. Real miracles aren't possible, though.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Dec 18, 2004
  9. "ZONED!" <no_email@please_post.net> wrote in message
    > I would like to see some before and after of that effect. Anyone?

    As far as I can tell, it's the same as doing an unsharp mask with a very
    large radius (20 pixels or so) but with little amount setting... try it in
    Photoshop or whatever you've got.

    --
    Philip Rawson

    www.flymodels.co.uk
    www.aeromodeller.org

    Philip Rawson, Dec 18, 2004
  10. ZONED! wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:08:11 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> kahalas wrote:
    >>> Is there any way to remove haze from digital photos by software
    >>> techniques?

    >> Paint Shop Pro -> Enhance photo -> Clarify
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > I would like to see some before and after of that effect. Anyone?

    Source image from a Nikon Coolpix 8400 saved on the Normal JPEG quality
    setting (1.5MB):

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/DSCN0027.JPG

    Using "Clarify" with a setting of 5 (1MB):

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/DSCN0027-clarify-5.jpg

    Using "One-step photo fix" (1MB):

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/DSCN0027-one-step-photo-fix.jpg

    I didn't fuss with these, just used the processing as provided by Paint
    Shop Pro.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 18, 2004
  11. kahalas

    Guest

    The problem is that the amount of contrast reduction due to the haze is
    distance dependent. If your shot has most objects at a single object
    distance some contrast increase can do a pretty good job. But if the
    scene has objects at differing distances, you'd somehow have to
    seperate them, and do a different contrast change for each one, and the
    biggest increase for the ultimate background (without further
    increasing contrast of nearer objects). That is why you can help, but
    as Kahalas says, you can't do magic.

    , Dec 18, 2004
  12. writes:

    > The problem is that the amount of contrast reduction due to the haze is
    > distance dependent. If your shot has most objects at a single object
    > distance some contrast increase can do a pretty good job. But if the
    > scene has objects at differing distances, you'd somehow have to
    > seperate them, and do a different contrast change for each one, and the
    > biggest increase for the ultimate background (without further
    > increasing contrast of nearer objects). That is why you can help, but
    > as Kahalas says, you can't do magic.

    Layer mask with gradient, then a curves adjustment layer, lets you do
    this pretty cleanly.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Dec 18, 2004