    Thank you for any advice,
    Tony

    Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

    Tony, Sep 19, 2004

  2. yes....but you should do a bit better being a pro. Six is good for
    consumers...

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 19, 2004

  3. Tony

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Should be good enough! It's basically a "lite" (but not really limited),
    version of the Canon 10D, which is commonly used for the same purposes.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Sep 19, 2004
  4. "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys,
    > I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
    > portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
    > color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
    > professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
    > enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
    > the agencies/libraries?

    Used 10D prices are falling...

    no, and yes...."

    Martin Francis, Sep 19, 2004
  5. Tony

    Jerry Guest

    The next step is how are you going from looking at the pictures on the
    screen to good prints to sell, another expince, so make it a good one. There
    are allot of printers to pick from , but for real good prints the selection
    is slim.
    Some inkjets are OK , and the Duy Sub Printers are better.

    Jerry, Sep 19, 2004
  6. It's actually cheaper in many cases to have a photo lab print for you. Cost
    out the ink and paper, and factor in a waste factor as many printers need to
    be used or they could have dirty jets. I can get a 8x10" photo output from a
    digital file for $6.00. It's not ink, nad has the same look & feel as a
    regular analog photo.

    Darrell Larose, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Tony

    Matt Austern Guest

    "Tony" <> writes:

    > Hi guys,
    > I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
    > portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
    > color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
    > professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
    > enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
    > the agencies/libraries?

    A friend who got married recently hired a photographer who used a 6
    megapixel camera, so that's at least one professional who uses a
    camera with that resolution.

    You should think about some of the other limitations of the 300D
    compared to the other dSLRs out there, though: no mirror lockup, less
    independent control of exposure mode, a single dial for exposure and
    shutter speed instead of two, and so on. Maybe those limitations
    won't matter for the kind of work you do, of course, but you should
    think about them. A Canon 10D or 20D doesn't have those limitations
    and they aren't all that much more expensive. (For what it's worth, I
    own a 300D and I'm happy with it. But then, I'm not a professional.)

    Matt Austern, Sep 19, 2004
  8. "Tony" <> wrote in news:200409191416038904
    @mynewsgate.net:

    > Hi guys,
    > I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
    > portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
    > color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
    > professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
    > enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
    > the agencies/libraries?
    >
    > Thank you for any advice,
    > Tony
    >
    > Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

    The 300D and the 10D takes just as good photos. The disadvantages
    of 300D are mainly - lack of professional look and strange limitations
    regarding functionality. Both irritating things; but the picture
    quality is the same.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Sep 19, 2004
  9. Tony

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    > I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
    > portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
    > color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
    > professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
    > enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
    > the agencies/libraries?

    The 300D is a good camera.. 6 MP is great for up to 8 x 10 and you
    can get very good results on larger poster sized prints (if you don't
    crop too much).

    Note that If you're *really* after professional results, don't scrimp
    on the lenses. A good Canon portrait lens can easily come close to,
    or exceed the cost of the camera.

    Jim Townsend, Sep 19, 2004
  10. Tony

    Ryadia Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:

    > The 300D is a good camera.. 6 MP is great for up to 8 x 10 and you
    > can get very good results on larger poster sized prints (if you don't
    > crop too much).

    This is not entirely correct.
    I own a 10D which has the same sensor as a 300D. Almost all the work I
    sell lately is maxi-posters printed at 24"x36". The detail is as
    stunningly crisp and accurate as printing at 8"x10". All you have to do
    is open you mind to what professional photo printers are doing.

    The process is called Interpolation and it has gotten so good lately
    that upsizing a good quality, 6MP, digital image 1500% has virtually no
    visable loss of detail.

    Sure, the program I use costs big bucks but consumer programs like
    Genuine Fractals cost not much more than the cost of the first print and
    if you are selling your work, you can make enough from the first feww
    prints to pay for their professional version.

    Ryadia

    Ryadia, Sep 19, 2004
  11. "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys,
    > I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
    > portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
    > color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
    > professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
    > enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
    > the agencies/libraries?

    It's not the megapixels as much as it skill, accessories (like good lenses
    and an external flash), and opportunity. The 300D can take stunning shots.
    If the silver body marks you as an amateur, then that could hurt. If you
    are into sports, that could hurt, too. Anyway, it's a great start into
    serious digital photography.

    Charles Schuler, Sep 19, 2004
  12. In article <>, Jim Townsend
    <> wrote:

    > The 300D is a good camera.. 6 MP is great for up to 8 x 10 and you
    > can get very good results on larger poster sized prints (if you don't
    > crop too much).

    I've made tack-sharp 16x20s with the 10D no problem. No cropping, of
    course, because that's done in the camera before the button is pressed.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 20, 2004
  13. Tony

    andre Guest

    Bill Crocker wrote:
    > Should be good enough! It's basically a "lite" (but not really limited),
    > version of the Canon 10D, which is commonly used for the same purposes.
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    Unless you use some hacked firmware that gives you almost all of the
    functionality of the 10D.
    Since I haven't tried it yet I can't tell you if it works and how well.

    --
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com

    andre, Sep 20, 2004
  14. Tony

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Ryadia wrote:

    > Jim Townsend wrote:
    >>

    >> The 300D is a good camera.. 6 MP is great for up to 8 x 10 and you
    >> can get very good results on larger poster sized prints (if you don't
    >> crop too much).
    >>

    > This is not entirely correct.
    > I own a 10D which has the same sensor as a 300D. Almost all the work I
    > sell lately is maxi-posters printed at 24"x36". The detail is as
    > stunningly crisp and accurate as printing at 8"x10". All you have to do
    > is open you mind to what professional photo printers are doing.

    I own a 10D too. I realize you can print 24x36 and larger with
    6 MP. I've seen some darn fine examples. That's why I added you can
    get *very good* results on poster sizes. I just didn't want to commit
    to a size :)

    Jim Townsend, Sep 20, 2004
  15. "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > Ryadia wrote:
    >
    > > Jim Townsend wrote:
    > >>

    > >> The 300D is a good camera.. 6 MP is great for up to 8 x 10 and you
    > >> can get very good results on larger poster sized prints (if you don't
    > >> crop too much).
    > >>

    > > This is not entirely correct.
    > > I own a 10D which has the same sensor as a 300D. Almost all the work I
    > > sell lately is maxi-posters printed at 24"x36". The detail is as
    > > stunningly crisp and accurate as printing at 8"x10". All you have to do
    > > is open you mind to what professional photo printers are doing.

    > I own a 10D too. I realize you can print 24x36 and larger with
    > 6 MP. I've seen some darn fine examples. That's why I added you can
    > get *very good* results on poster sizes. I just didn't want to commit
    > to a size :)

    Current printers will show improved sharpness with images well over 300 dpi,
    as Roger N. Clark keeps pointing out. So anything over 6.7x10" is well into
    "poster" territory.

    How large you can print is solely a function of how far away the audience
    can be kept.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 20, 2004
  16. Tony

    Ryadia Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > How large you can print is solely a function of how far away the audience
    > can be kept.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    You really are a narrow minded little boy aren't you David?
    None of my 24" wide prints need to be viewed any differently than 6x4s.
    Open your mind, don't close it or you'll be the one marvelling at how
    "they do it" when an Exibition rolls around your way.

    Ryadia

    Ryadia, Sep 20, 2004
  17. "Ryadia" <> wrote:

    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > > How large you can print is solely a function of how far away the

    audience
    > > can be kept.

    > None of my 24" wide prints need to be viewed any differently than 6x4s.

    ROFL. 24" wide prints are 83 dpi. You better stay a long way away.

    A good print should invite a closer look and stand up to that closer look.

    Posters don't, photographs do.

    They're different art forms. You are quite confused.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 20, 2004
  18. *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***

    Ryadia> The process is called Interpolation and it has gotten so good lately
    Ryadia> that upsizing a good quality, 6MP, digital image 1500% has virtually
    Ryadia> no visable loss of detail.

    What does it mean to "upsize" pixels? Pixels don't have an inherent
    size, unless you're measuring the amount of space the electrical
    charges have in your flash memory.

    Your statement would have made more sense if you had said "we've been
    able to go as low as 50 pixels per inch with no apparently blockiness".
    That would have been more accurate and interesting.

    I'm constantly confounded by people who insist that pixels have a "dpi".
    Sheesh.

    Randal L. Schwartz, Sep 20, 2004
  19. Tony

    JK Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    > I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
    > portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
    > color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
    > professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
    > enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
    > the agencies/libraries?

    At what level? I was at a wedding recently where most of the photos
    were taken with a 10D, but the more important photos were also taken with
    Hasselblads. When cost is a big issue, a 10D or 300D will be okay.
    with its silver color, the 300D doesn't look like a professional camera.
    I guess Canon did this intentionally so that the 300D wouldn't cut into
    sales of the 10D, although I did read somewhere that a black version
    of the 300D was released in some parts of the world.

    JK, Sep 20, 2004
  20. Tony

    Nick Beard Guest

    So thats why the nikon D2H is only 4.1 mp eh?? And thats a Pro camera!!!

    Nick Beard, Sep 24, 2004