    -Ed

    (I've posted a similar question last week but got no answer so I'm trying
    agin).
    Ed Landau, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Ed Landau

    Mike Guest

    "Ed Landau" <> wrote in message
    news:s6dFb.1141$...
    > I have been playing with my new Digital Rebel for over a week. Playing

    with
    > correcting white balance both on the camera and on my PC.
    >
    > My question is regarding indoor shots with flash. I compared identical
    > shots taken with my Canon G2 and my Digital Rebel in both Auto and

    Programed
    > AE Mode. My G2 comes out great. My Rebel comes out Yellow. Why??????

    > know I can correct it in something like Photoshop but none of the

    available
    > white balances (flash, AE, flurescen, shade, etc.) on the Rebel seem to

    work
    > !
    >
    > So I'm hoping someone will be able to help me understand why shots with my
    > Rebel turn out yellow why my G2 comes out white for the same pic.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Ed
    >
    > (I've posted a similar question last week but got no answer so I'm trying
    > agin).
    >
    > If you have photoshop elements try using the remove colour cast program.

    MikeS
    Mike, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Ed Landau

    Viper Guest

    Use the custom WB feature, shoot a white piece of paper w/o flash and set
    the camera to use the image to set teh custom wb...

    Viper, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Ed Landau

    Jack Kurtz Guest

    Achieving correct color balance is probably the hardest part of
    digital photography. I don't have a Rebel, but I do have a 10D and a
    D60. I shoot RAW, and I don't usually use Auto White Balance, instead
    selecting my white balance based on the light where I am shooting. I
    tweak the white balance when I acquire the photo (using the Adobe Raw
    Converter in Photoshop CS). This gives me near perfect color balance,
    unless I am working in a mixed fluorescent / flash environment, which
    is always tough to fix.

    For digital photographers, Photoshop CS is the best upgrade ever to
    Photoshop. The included ACR plug in and much improved (over PS v7)
    browser alone are worth the upgrade. If you have the space on your CF
    cards, shooting RAW will and one or two very quick adjustments in
    Photoshop CS will forever fix your color balance woes.

    jack

    Jack Kurtz, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Ed Landau

    Ed Landau Guest

    Thanks folks. I'll try to custom wb. I'll also look into Photoshop. I
    only have Photoshop 6 (no raw support) but will upgrade. I've been using
    C1 (Capture 1) which is a very nice piece of software which allows
    background conversion :) (http://www.c1dslr.com). I've been shooting raw
    as well.

    I still don't get why my $200 camera (the G2) does not need custom wb etc.
    to get the same shot right ?
    It also means that I have to go thru EVERY shot and correct it whereas I
    never used to have to do that with my G2 ????

    -Ed

    Ed Landau, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Ed Landau

    J. D. Guest

    Most DRebel owners will tell you that the onboard flash just plain sucks
    and a lot of folks download and install a Flash Exposure Compensation
    hack to set the FEC to +2/3 stop. Check out this forum:

    I personally hate onboard flash units and get much better results from
    an external flash. I use the 420EX (the 550EX or the Sigma DG500 Super
    are even better) and usually bounce the flash for more natural lighting.

    Jay

    J. D., Dec 21, 2003
  7. Ed Landau

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Ed Landau wrote:

    > I have been playing with my new Digital Rebel for over a week. Playing with
    > correcting white balance both on the camera and on my PC.
    >
    > My question is regarding indoor shots with flash. I compared identical
    > shots taken with my Canon G2 and my Digital Rebel in both Auto and Programed
    > AE Mode. My G2 comes out great. My Rebel comes out Yellow. Why?????? I
    > know I can correct it in something like Photoshop but none of the available
    > white balances (flash, AE, flurescen, shade, etc.) on the Rebel seem to work
    > !
    >
    > So I'm hoping someone will be able to help me understand why shots with my
    > Rebel turn out yellow why my G2 comes out white for the same pic.

    When you put your camera in Auto mode, you're giving up all control and telling
    it to use the parameters chosen by the camera's internal firmware. The
    firmware is written by programmers who have instructed the camera what to do
    based on its input.

    Obviously there has been a change in philosophy between the time your G2
    firmware was written and the time your Digital Rebel firmware was written. As
    a result, the Rebel firmware is telling the camera to select the white balance
    differently.

    If you don't like the choice the firmware writers made, the simple solution is
    to go into 'P' mode and make your own choice. (Keep in mind that you paid a
    considerable amount for the ability to make these choices).

    Change your white balance and choose the 'flash' setting or perhaps 'tungsten'.
    (It sounds like you're picking up tungsten lighting when shooting indoors).
    Jim Townsend, Dec 21, 2003
  8. Ed Landau

    Ed Landau Guest

    Thanks for all the advise. yes I paid for the choice and just to be
    clear... I have been in "P" mode and tried all the different wb presets.
    Getting an external flash seems like the way to go but it makes it that much
    more bulky for my wife :).

    Thanks again folks for taking the time to respond!

    -Ed

    Ed Landau, Dec 21, 2003
  9. Ed Landau

    DHB Guest

    Ed,
    welcome to the "I'm not happy with the AWB on my Digital Rebel / 300D"
    Club!

    I'm not bashing this camera, I too have 1 & though I am still learning
    how best to utilize it, I have passed through the AWB frustration stage.
    RAW mode is the most dependable & effective way to ensure excellent WB & it
    also provides other additional benefits.

    The down side is that it also takes about twice the storage space to
    record a RAW format picture than it does a jpg. Using the custom WB option
    is the way to go even if you shoot in RAW mode because the embedded jpg
    image (needed to review your shot on the camera's LCD) & if viewed on a TV
    uses either your preset WB or the AWB.

    Before I get flamed, let me just say that this does not in anyway effect
    your RAW DATA but if you wish to display (share) the pictures on a TV with
    family & friends such as around the holidays, it does matter. Do you want
    to have to try to explain to everybody why the pictures are all yellow on TV
    but really they are not actually recorded that way on the CF card? I know I
    don't want to, so it's best to do it right in the 1st place. Last point
    here is that if you switch over to jpg to save space, you might forget to
    also change the custom WB.

    As to why the Canon G2 AWB & WB presets work much better than on the
    Digital Rebel / 300D? Only Canon can answer that 1 & hopefully they will
    also correct it in a firmware update but I suspect if they were going to do
    so they would have already added it to the 1.1.1 update.

    Bottom line: It does little good dwelling on what's wrong with
    something when that energy can be redirected to overcoming that fault. It's
    not my intent to invalidate your question, which is a valid 1 & I wish I had
    a better solution for you. I'm still considering a possible work-around
    option to this problem & if I have any success with it, I'll share it here
    on this news group.

    Best of luck, hopefully you will be as pleased with this camera as I am.
    As I look at it, this camera & I have a lot in common. We both are far from
    perfect & yet are capable of doing fine quality work despite our
    imperfections!

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Dec 21, 2003
  10. On 2003-12-21, Ed Landau <> wrote:
    > Thanks for all the advise. yes I paid for the choice and just to be
    > clear... I have been in "P" mode and tried all the different wb presets.
    > Getting an external flash seems like the way to go but it makes it that much
    > more bulky for my wife :).
    >
    > Thanks again folks for taking the time to respond!

    You did as the manual says ? Hold a white paper in front of the
    face, photo that, goto menu select manual WB, select the picture
    taken and then shoot ?

    The low-enerhy lightbulbs I use also gives very yellow pictures,
    but the manual WB cures it almost to perfection.

    Same goes for my Coolpix 4500. But this one is easier to set manual
    WB on.
    Povl H. Pedersen, Dec 22, 2003