Digital Rebel exposure in P or M help needed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Faiser, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Faiser

    Faiser Guest

    All,

    Yesterday when trying to expose using built-in flash in a dark area (it was
    at a Christmas party) the setting in P-mode would give 1/60sec, 4.0. The Ev
    would indicate 0, so far so good. btw, lens is the 28-135 IS.

    Now when I tried to shoot using M-mode, and selecting the exact same
    settings (1/60, 4.0) the Ev would indicate -2. I had to adjust shutter
    speed way down to satisfy the Ev readout. But exposure was okay when I
    sticked to my settings.

    Now how can one use M mode if the exposure info is all wrong?

    Picture I was making was people dancing. Fill flash was needed not to get a
    blurry mess, however, the typical dancefloor coloring would all be lost. Is
    such shooting indeed a matter of give a little, take a little or is there a
    setting that allows for making fairly sharp pictures in the dark?

    Being frustrated as it was already, the DJ showed me his Canon Powershot S40
    that made wonderful dancefloor activity pictures with NO FLASH and short
    shutter speed... What gives, has it to do with the smaller sensor size or
    so??

    Thank you!

    Faiser, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Faiser:

    It takes time to understand the Digital Rebel's several shooting modes and
    it requires close study of the instruction manual.

    In Program mode using flash the Digital Rebel never selects a shutter speed
    slower that 1/60 of a second (see table P. 81 in the manual). That is
    because the designers assume that in Program mode you won't be using a
    tripod to steady the camera.

    And in Program mode the Digital Rebel uses Evaluative exposure metering,
    while in Manual mode it uses center-weighted metering (see P. 84).

    Also in Program mode using flash the Digital Rebel only exposes for the
    SUBJECT. It assumes that you're not interested in capturing the background.
    The Av, Manual or night portrait modes (with a tripod) are recommended if
    you also want to expose for the background.

    I often use my Rebel with great success in dark nightclubs using no flash,
    built-in flash or Speedlite 550EX. It's just a matter of practicing
    exposures, evaluating the results, and then puzzling through the
    instructions for insight.

    My advice for anyone who wants to master the Rebel's flash idiosyncrasies is
    to start with Manual mode, master that and all the custom settings, and then
    one-by-one experiment with the more automatic modes.

    Philip Harris, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Faiser

    Jeff Guest

    "Faiser" <> wrote in

    > All,
    >
    > Yesterday when trying to expose using built-in flash in a dark area
    > (it was at a Christmas party) the setting in P-mode would give
    > 1/60sec, 4.0. The Ev would indicate 0, so far so good. btw, lens is
    > the 28-135 IS.
    >
    > Now when I tried to shoot using M-mode, and selecting the exact same
    > settings (1/60, 4.0) the Ev would indicate -2. I had to adjust
    > shutter speed way down to satisfy the Ev readout. But exposure was
    > okay when I sticked to my settings.
    >
    > Now how can one use M mode if the exposure info is all wrong?
    >
    > Picture I was making was people dancing. Fill flash was needed not to
    > get a blurry mess, however, the typical dancefloor coloring would all
    > be lost. Is such shooting indeed a matter of give a little, take a
    > little or is there a setting that allows for making fairly sharp
    > pictures in the dark?
    >
    > Being frustrated as it was already, the DJ showed me his Canon
    > Powershot S40 that made wonderful dancefloor activity pictures with NO
    > FLASH and short shutter speed... What gives, has it to do with the
    > smaller sensor size or so??
    >
    > Thank you!

    Did the ISO stay the same when you switched modes?

    Jeff, Dec 22, 2003