    like I'm using a 35mm camera. NO LAG! Finally! All the money I've spent on
    those point-n-shoot models. Well, this week I'll do some more
    experimenting...so far I'm amazed.

    Michael, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Michael

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    news:3fde056e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Coming from an Olympus C-5050, Olympus Stylus 400 and a Nikon Coolpix this
    > camera is amazing from just the short time I've used it. I can take

    pictures
    > like I'm using a 35mm camera. NO LAG! Finally! All the money I've spent on
    > those point-n-shoot models. Well, this week I'll do some more
    > experimenting...so far I'm amazed.

    Never mind that, what about the cow? Does the holly come off after Xmas?
    It must be very prickly!

    --
    Tumbleweed

    newsgroups)
    Tumbleweed, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Michael

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote:

    >Coming from an Olympus C-5050, Olympus Stylus 400 and a Nikon Coolpix this
    >camera is amazing from just the short time I've used it. I can take pictures

    Don't hurt the cow.
    Mark Johnson, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Michael

    Charlie Self Guest

    Mark Johnson responds:

    >>Coming from an Olympus C-5050, Olympus Stylus 400 and a Nikon Coolpix this
    >>camera is amazing from just the short time I've used it. I can take pictures

    >Don't hurt the cow.

    Especially don't feed it holly.

    Charlie Self

    "Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
    Alexander Hamilton

    Charlie Self, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    The cow is fine...it's trying to keep up with me. All the shots I missed at
    my friend's wedding could have been gotten with this Rebel easily. Due to
    the slow speed of processing time I guess. Having walked through the
    hallways of work just snapping shots was nice to see no delays. Now to find
    out how to turn the flash off during auto mode. Most indoor shots come out
    yellowish in the indoor lights. Experimenting is the only way! :)

    Michael, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Charlie Self wrote:

    > Especially don't feed it holly.

    Interesting twist on an old exclamation, for Christmas.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Dec 16, 2003
  7. Michael

    Samuel Paik Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote:
    > Now to find
    > out how to turn the flash off during auto mode.

    On the mode dial on the top, the green box is full auto, and P is
    program auto exposure, in full auto the camera decides whether
    to use flash while in P it doesn't make flash decisions for you.
    Samuel Paik, Dec 16, 2003
  8. Michael

    jriegle Guest

    I was impressed with mine as well, but I expected that after much research.
    Have some fun, crank it up to ISO 800 or 1600 and enjoy the relatively noise
    free images.
    John

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Coming from an Olympus C-5050, Olympus Stylus 400 and a Nikon Coolpix this
    > camera is amazing from just the short time I've used it. I can take

    pictures
    > like I'm using a 35mm camera. NO LAG! Finally! All the money I've spent on
    > those point-n-shoot models. Well, this week I'll do some more
    > experimenting...so far I'm amazed.

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =---
    jriegle, Dec 16, 2003
  9. Michael

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > The cow is fine...it's trying to keep up with me. All the shots I missed

    at
    > my friend's wedding could have been gotten with this Rebel easily. Due to
    > the slow speed of processing time I guess. Having walked through the
    > hallways of work just snapping shots was nice to see no delays. Now to

    find
    > out how to turn the flash off during auto mode. Most indoor shots come out
    > yellowish in the indoor lights. Experimenting is the only way! :)

    There is no need to experiment. Learn to do custom white balance. Use a
    Kodak Gray card or a clean white card and your images indoors will look
    fine. The camera will determine that "white" looks a little bit yellowish
    and then compensate for that.
    --
    "Secular nations have one thing in common -- mass graves, and
    the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter
    Bob Hatch, Dec 16, 2003
  10. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Point me in the right direction....I'd want to learn then rely on the camera
    all the time. My goal is to take good pictures inside an office with
    flouresant lighting. Small challenge, but I'll give it a shot and keep on
    going! Do what with a/the whitecard and how big should this white card be?

    Michael, Dec 16, 2003
  11. Michael

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Point me in the right direction....I'd want to learn then rely on the

    camera
    > all the time. My goal is to take good pictures inside an office with
    > flouresant lighting. Small challenge, but I'll give it a shot and keep on
    > going! Do what with a/the whitecard and how big should this white card be?

    I use a 4x5 piece of unexposed and processed photo paper or a 4x5 piece of
    the Epson Premium Luster paper from my printer. Have them laminated with a
    matt laminate so you can carry them around.

    I cannot say where you will find the custom or manual white balance setting
    on the Rebel. On the D60 and the 10D it's a setting on the top of the camera
    and you should be able to find this in your manual. On the 10D and the D60
    you take a picture of the white card with the card filling the center
    metering circle with the card, take a picture of the card, press menu,
    select manual or custom (I'm not sure which way the menu refers to it) white
    balance, press the set key and you're done. The whole process takes about 3
    to 5 seconds and after that all the images done in that lighting will be
    dead on.
    Bob Hatch, Dec 16, 2003
  12. Michael

    David Guest

    "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > Do what with a/the whitecard and how big should this white card be?
    > >

    > I use a 4x5 piece of unexposed and processed photo paper or a 4x5 piece of
    > the Epson Premium Luster paper from my printer. Have them laminated with a
    > matt laminate so you can carry them around.

    Heh - the first time I saw a professional use a digital camera was at a big
    boxing match. He worked for Reuters. He pulled a regular piece of paper
    out of his pocket, which had an ad printed on the back. He unfolded it, and
    handed to me, and asked me to hold it so he could set his white balance. No
    premium luster, no photo paper. Creases and all.

    Since then I've shot white fields off t-shirts, walls, you name it. Works
    fine.
    David, Dec 16, 2003
  13. Michael

    Michael Guest

    So the white balance is adjusted for saved images or images that will be
    taken?

    Michael, Dec 16, 2003
  14. Michael

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message

    > Heh - the first time I saw a professional use a digital camera was at a

    big
    > boxing match. He worked for Reuters. He pulled a regular piece of paper
    > out of his pocket, which had an ad printed on the back. He unfolded it,

    and
    > handed to me, and asked me to hold it so he could set his white balance.

    No
    > premium luster, no photo paper. Creases and all.
    >
    > Since then I've shot white fields off t-shirts, walls, you name it. Works
    > fine.

    It will work, kind of. Ask your wife if all white is the same. There are
    tones and shades of white. Shirts that have some kinds of fabrics will
    reflect the light differently. A white card that has an invisible yellow
    cast to it will add blue to your images. A piece of printer paper that has a
    cyan tone that you can't really see will add magenta to the image. Sometimes
    it's too small to see, other times it makes a noticeable difference. I like
    to get it as close as possible. When I ran white balance tests using several
    different types of cards there was a visible difference in the skin tone
    when using a Kodak gray card vs. an el cheapo brand. YMMV, but I know what
    works for me.

    Bob Hatch, Dec 16, 2003
  15. Michael

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > So the white balance is adjusted for saved images or images that will be
    > taken?

    Images that will be taken. If you are using Photoshop there is a way to use
    that white card image to adjust all images after the fact, but it's better
    to do in before. There are times I get in a hurry and I get to talking to
    the subject I'm working with. I take the image, and forget to "set the white
    balance." In that case I do it after.

    There are also times I've moved to a new light area, taken the pictures then
    realized I forgot to set the white balance. In that case I take a picture of
    the white card and adjust in PS after the session is over.

    Even if you're using studio lighting you should not use the pre set white
    balance. Strobes are different, as the tubes age the temperature of the
    light changes and with that change the color of your images will change.

    Bob Hatch, Dec 16, 2003
  16. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Ooo, so whenever the lighting changes I should usually reset my white
    balance again? I've been reading a lot online and finding out information
    and have gotten it somewhat mentally now. Also, is it always the BEST thing
    to do is to use custom white balance? Outside, inside, everywhere?

    Michael, Dec 17, 2003
  17. Michael

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Ooo, so whenever the lighting changes I should usually reset my white
    > balance again? I've been reading a lot online and finding out information
    > and have gotten it somewhat mentally now. Also, is it always the BEST

    thing
    > to do is to use custom white balance? Outside, inside, everywhere?

    Yes, IMO, unless there is an overwhelming and compelling reason not to
    custom white balance, do it. It only takes a few seconds at the camera and
    will save hours at the computer and your images will look better if exposed
    properly to start with.

    If I'm outside and the day is totally overcast I will do 1 white balance
    setting for the whole session. If the clouds break up and I get sunshine I
    redo the white balance. If I'm outside on a full sunny day working in the
    shade of a tree I do white balance. If I move out into the sun, I do white
    balance. When I go inside to my studio lights I do white balance. I've got
    it down to the point I can do it in about 10 seconds.
    Bob Hatch, Dec 17, 2003
  18. "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Ooo, so whenever the lighting changes I should usually reset my white
    > balance again? I've been reading a lot online and finding out information
    > and have gotten it somewhat mentally now. Also, is it always the BEST

    thing
    > to do is to use custom white balance? Outside, inside, everywhere?

    It would be nice if automatic white balance worked, but it can't. The camera
    doesn't know if it's looking at a pink shirt or a white shirt in pink light.
    So if you want the white balance right, you have to tell the camera.

    Some cameras are better than others at guessing, but all will mess up some
    of the time.

    It's very depressing.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Dec 17, 2003
  19. Michael

    Bob Hatch Guest

    > It would be nice if automatic white balance worked, but it can't. The

    camera
    > doesn't know if it's looking at a pink shirt or a white shirt in pink

    light.
    > So if you want the white balance right, you have to tell the camera.
    >
    > Some cameras are better than others at guessing, but all will mess up some
    > of the time.
    >
    > It's very depressing.

    I have a couple of friends who insist they don't have the time to set white
    balance and the bitch for hours about the poor color in their images.

    Bob Hatch, Dec 17, 2003
  20. Michael

    Don Coon Guest

    "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > It would be nice if automatic white balance worked, but it can't. The

    > camera
    > > doesn't know if it's looking at a pink shirt or a white shirt in pink

    > light.
    > > So if you want the white balance right, you have to tell the camera.
    > >
    > > Some cameras are better than others at guessing, but all will mess up

    some
    > > of the time.
    > >
    > > It's very depressing.
    > >

    > I have a couple of friends who insist they don't have the time to set

    white
    > balance and the bitch for hours about the poor color in their images.

    Then they should shoot RAW. Of course, that simply moves the extra time to
    post processing : )
    Don Coon, Dec 17, 2003