    macros.
    I supppose all these might work with the camera in manual mode?
    Bill

    Bill, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Bill

    Darrell Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    news:aBSlb.90624$sp2.87894@lakeread04...
    > Can the canon DR use any older lenses? I am talking about some that are
    > manual, i.e. you have to stop them down yourself for DOF preview and to

    take
    > the shot. Some are not so old....they are at least automatic for that
    > function. But not AF or anything like that. They are good lenses, typical
    > bayonet mount, and include an 18 mm., 35 mm, 55-270 zoom, even a bellows

    for
    > macros.
    > I supppose all these might work with the camera in manual mode?
    > Bill

    Manual focus Canon lenses have a different FD mount that won't mount on
    EF-Canon bodies. When Minolta and Canon went auto-focus they orphaned all
    their manual focus clients.

    Darrell, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Bill

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <aBSlb.90624$sp2.87894@lakeread04>,
    Bill <> wrote:
    >Can the canon DR use any older lenses? I am talking about some that are
    >manual, i.e. you have to stop them down yourself for DOF preview and to take
    >the shot. Some are not so old....they are at least automatic for that
    >function. But not AF or anything like that. They are good lenses, typical
    >bayonet mount, and include an 18 mm., 35 mm, 55-270 zoom, even a bellows for
    >macros.
    >I supppose all these might work with the camera in manual mode?

    If they are for Canon's old manual focus cameras they won't fit. The 300D
    uses the EF-mount.

    Chris Brown, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Bill

    jean Guest

    I bought a "T" mount adapter to EOS and I managed to put my old manual
    lenses (mainly Soligor and Vivitar) on my daughter's 10D, the focus is VERY
    hard to do and the camera must be operated in Av mode. I took some pics to
    test the setup and the results were very good. It is not often you need an
    800mm lens (500mm x 1.6) so I can live with the hassles of difficult focus
    and limited automation of the lens.

    Jean

    jean, Oct 23, 2003
  5. This is interesting to me, as I'm thinking of buying a 10D and one of the
    things I would like to do with it is to shoot extreme macro photos with it.
    By that I mean up to 10x. I have been doing this for years with a Cannon F1
    and bellows and special bellows mount macro lens. Beyond the problem of
    adapting the bellows to the "new" Cannon 10D mount if I have problems with
    focusing it could be a deal killer for me. It's hard to focus anyway at
    these magnifications. So what is hard about doing a manual focus with the
    10D?

    --
    John Passaneau
    Penn State University

    John Passaneau, Oct 23, 2003
  6. Bill

    Warren Jones Guest

    I'll answer on the 10D from experience and remain fairly certain that the
    rebel behaves identically.
    In manual type modes you can use any lens on these cameras that can provide
    the EF mount. I use converters
    such as Nikon to EF to use my 105mm micro, ef 't'mount for
    microscope/telescope an ES to EF to use a Pentax
    Bellows/Slide copier that was on hand. (Try doing this on a D100) Tamron
    (scarce) adaptall 2 works also.
    Cheers,

    Warren Jones, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Bill

    jean Guest

    As always, RTFM (I didn't). I used only the glass and my eyes to figure out
    the focus. In the manual, it says to half press the shutter button and turn
    the focus ring on the lens while watching the selected focus point which
    will turn red, the camera will also beep. This works with AF lenses set to
    manual focus. With fully manual lenses, it's eyes only. The good thing is
    you can review the picture and magnify the image to check the focus after
    the shot has been taken.

    Jean

    jean, Oct 24, 2003