    www.sinrodstudios.com
    Coney Island Memories
    www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories
    jk, Nov 8, 2004

  2. "jk" <> wrote in message
    news:TzRjd.45989$...
    > Be patient with me. Here's my problem with my brand new camera. I need
    > fairly small pics of things that I put up on Ebay. At the smallest auto
    > setting on my Rebel, the pix are roughly 500,000 kb and resolution 150
    > pixels/in. These are way to big and thus slow to load. If I edit them down
    > to about 4" wide, they only get down to about 300,000kb. I'm not
    > knowledgable enough to figure out exactly what to change to achieve good
    > quality, but make them smaller at the same time. I notice that as I bring
    > the resolution down, the pixel demensions go down but the image size stays
    > the same? Can someone either point me to a tutorial, or explain the
    > relationship between these settings? Is there a camera setting that will
    > enable me to take alot of pictures and minimize the editing? Thanks!

    You have a couple of ways to go. You can change the camera resolution via
    the MENU button. Quality is the top choice on the first menu and you can
    select from among 7 choices.

    Also, you can use Photoshop Elements (bundled with your camera) to change
    size and resolution.
    Charles Schuler, Nov 8, 2004

  3. jk

    fortknight Guest

    jk wrote:
    > Be patient with me. Here's my problem with my brand new camera. I need
    > fairly small pics of things that I put up on Ebay. At the smallest auto
    > setting on my Rebel, the pix are roughly 500,000 kb and resolution 150
    > pixels/in. These are way to big and thus slow to load. If I edit them down
    > to about 4" wide, they only get down to about 300,000kb. I'm not
    > knowledgable enough to figure out exactly what to change to achieve good
    > quality, but make them smaller at the same time. I notice that as I bring
    > the resolution down, the pixel demensions go down but the image size stays
    > the same? Can someone either point me to a tutorial, or explain the
    > relationship between these settings? Is there a camera setting that will
    > enable me to take alot of pictures and minimize the editing? Thanks!

    There are two measurements for images. The raw number of rows and
    columns of image pixels. like 640x480. And there is the intended
    width and height of the image. Like 8x10, or 5x7. The combined method
    is PPI which is the number of pixels that would be in a row 1 inch long.

    Some programs use primarally just the raw number (like image editors),
    some use the intended size (like publishing programs). And depending on
    the HTML sometimes the image will display pixel per pixel on the screen,
    and sometimes based on the "width" of the image and will scale up or down.

    Generally you will get the best results by setting your image to 72DPI,
    and setting the width to 4" (In this case this would get your images
    about 1/4 smaller). This may be small enough.
    fortknight, Nov 8, 2004
  4. "jk" <> writes:
    > Be patient with me. Here's my problem with my brand new camera. I
    > need fairly small pics of things that I put up on Ebay. At the
    > smallest auto setting on my Rebel, the pix are roughly 500,000 kb
    > and resolution 150 pixels/in. These are way to big and thus slow to
    > load. If I edit them down to about 4" wide, they only get down to
    > about 300,000kb. I'm not knowledgable enough to figure out exactly
    > what to change to achieve good quality, but make them smaller at the
    > same time. I notice that as I bring the resolution down, the pixel
    > demensions go down but the image size stays the same? Can someone
    > either point me to a tutorial, or explain the relationship between
    > these settings?

    Assuming you're using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to resize,
    the main setting you are interested in is "Pixel Dimensions".

    Do the following:
    - Set "Pixel Dimensions" to 450 x 300 pixels.
    - Ignore "Resolution".
    - Tick "Resample Image" and select "Bicubic".

    For more background, take a look at:
    http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/pixels.html
    (in particular Q14).
    When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?
    Gisle Hannemyr, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

    > Assuming you're using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to resize,
    > the main setting you are interested in is "Pixel Dimensions".
    >
    > Do the following:
    > - Set "Pixel Dimensions" to 450 x 300 pixels.
    > - Ignore "Resolution".
    > - Tick "Resample Image" and select "Bicubic".

    Yeah, what he said, though I was going to suggest 600x400 instead
    of 450x300.

    Save as JPEG with a quality of around 6 or 7. You should easily
    end up with filesizes under 100k... probably somewhere between
    60k and 70k. If you go to 450x300 instead of 600x400, you will
    probably end up with filesizes down arounnd 50k.

    BJJB
    BillyJoeJimBob, Nov 9, 2004
  6. jk

    jk Guest

    I'm using Paintshop Pro 8.0 It's much less complicated. So you all think
    I should reduce the size using pixel control instead of resolution? I have
    the camera set at the lowest quality now, and the res is 150. Maybe there's
    a manual control on the camera for a reduced setting?

    --
    JK Sinrod
    Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
    jk, Nov 9, 2004
  7. "jk" <> writes:
    > I'm using Paintshop Pro 8.0 It's much less complicated. So you all
    > think I should reduce the size using pixel control instead of
    > resolution?

    Yes!

    > I have the camera set at the lowest quality now,

    At its lowest quality, the file size from the dRebel is
    1536x1024 pixels. This is much more than is suitable for
    web publication (which is 450x300 or 600x400 pixels).

    You can't produce images suitable for the web /directly/ from a
    dRebel (if you want web-quality from your camera, ditch your
    dRebel and buy a $30 webcam).

    Forget about getting web-sized files from the camera. Reset your
    camera to give you the /highest quality/. That gives you the best
    starting point for reducing the size in PSP.

    > and the res is 150. Maybe there's a manual control on the camera for
    > a reduced setting?

    The resolution setting of your camera is meningless in this context.

    I've tried to clarify these things in the follwing note:
    http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/pixels.html
    Please read it and let me know if it cleared up things.
    When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?
    Gisle Hannemyr, Nov 9, 2004
  8. jk wrote:

    > I'm using Paintshop Pro 8.0 It's much less complicated. So you all think
    > I should reduce the size using pixel control instead of resolution? I have
    > the camera set at the lowest quality now, and the res is 150. Maybe there's
    > a manual control on the camera for a reduced setting?

    The "res" (or DPI, or PPI) is meaningless for a web display- its the
    pixel dimensions that count. Resize the image to between 400 and 500
    pixels on the long side for an ebay display.

    -Dave
    Dave Herzstein, Nov 9, 2004
  9. jk

    jk Guest

    "Gisle Hannemyr" <> wrote in message
    > "jk" <> writes:
    > > I'm using Paintshop Pro 8.0 It's much less complicated. So you all
    > > think I should reduce the size using pixel control instead of
    > > resolution?

    > Yes!
    >
    > > I have the camera set at the lowest quality now,

    > At its lowest quality, the file size from the dRebel is
    > 1536x1024 pixels. This is much more than is suitable for
    > web publication (which is 450x300 or 600x400 pixels).
    >
    > You can't produce images suitable for the web /directly/ from a
    > dRebel (if you want web-quality from your camera,

    Thanks Giselle! In PSP 8, when I change the pixel size or print size they
    both proportionally changed..... but when I change the resolution, only the
    pixel size changes and the print size remains the same. So I can lower the
    res to reduce the pixel size, or reduce the pixel size which will reduce the
    print size. Which method will reduce the file size more? It's a bit
    confusing, thanks for your patience.

    jk, Nov 9, 2004
  10. "jk" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks Giselle! In PSP 8, when I change the pixel size or print size they
    > both proportionally changed..... but when I change the resolution, only
    > the
    > pixel size changes and the print size remains the same. So I can lower the
    > res to reduce the pixel size, or reduce the pixel size which will reduce
    > the
    > print size. Which method will reduce the file size more? It's a bit
    > confusing, thanks for your patience.

    Changing the resolution in dots per inch, without resampling the pixels,
    does not change the file size at all.

    Changing the number of pixels is called resampling and is what you want to
    do. Bear in mind that when you do it, you are throwing away information --
    you cannot enlarge the image later and get back the details you lost.
    Michael A. Covington, Nov 9, 2004
  11. jk

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "jk" <> wrote in message
    > Be patient with me. Here's my problem with my brand new camera. I need
    > fairly small pics of things that I put up on Ebay. At the smallest auto
    > setting on my Rebel, the pix are roughly 500,000 kb and resolution 150
    > pixels/in. These are way to big and thus slow to load. If I edit them down
    > to about 4" wide, they only get down to about 300,000kb. I'm not
    > knowledgable enough to figure out exactly what to change to achieve good
    > quality, but make them smaller at the same time. I notice that as I bring
    > the resolution down, the pixel demensions go down but the image size stays
    > the same? Can someone either point me to a tutorial, or explain the
    > relationship between these settings? Is there a camera setting that will
    > enable me to take alot of pictures and minimize the editing? Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > JK Sinrod
    > Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
    > www.sinrodstudios.com
    > Coney Island Memories
    > www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

    Hi JK,

    This is Alan from A.S.C.P.

    Another free and very easy to use program for this is IrfanView.
    Go to http://www.irfanview.com/ and download IrfanView
    and the plugins. When installing, you get a choice of not
    installing the Ebay stuff - I recommend de-selecting that.

    In Irfanview you can load an image with File, Open.
    Then Ctrl-R to resize/resample (pick resample) and
    enter the size you want, e.g., 800x600 or 640x400,
    both good sizes for the web.

    Then do the following:

    Shift-S to sharpen the image (if desired, if you don't
    like it, Ctrl-Z changes it back).
    S to save the image with a new name.
    In the save dialog, uncheck all the boxes that
    have to do with saving information in the image.
    Then give it a new filename and click Save.

    I and many other people use IrfanView as their main
    image viewer. It's probably the most popular image
    viewing software in the world and it handles almost
    every conceivable format.

    Feel free to email me if you need any more help.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Nov 10, 2004
  12. jk

    Big Bill Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 23:42:22 GMT, "jk" <> wrote:

    >"Gisle Hannemyr" <> wrote in message
    >> "jk" <> writes:
    >> > I'm using Paintshop Pro 8.0 It's much less complicated. So you all
    >> > think I should reduce the size using pixel control instead of
    >> > resolution?

    >> Yes!
    >>
    >> > I have the camera set at the lowest quality now,

    >> At its lowest quality, the file size from the dRebel is
    >> 1536x1024 pixels. This is much more than is suitable for
    >> web publication (which is 450x300 or 600x400 pixels).
    >>
    >> You can't produce images suitable for the web /directly/ from a
    >> dRebel (if you want web-quality from your camera,

    > Thanks Giselle! In PSP 8, when I change the pixel size or print size they
    >both proportionally changed..... but when I change the resolution, only the
    >pixel size changes and the print size remains the same. So I can lower the
    >res to reduce the pixel size, or reduce the pixel size which will reduce the
    >print size. Which method will reduce the file size more? It's a bit
    >confusing, thanks for your patience.

    What will probably work best is 'resizing' the image to 600x400.
    This way, the image will be that size on anyone's monitor, and the
    file size will be small enough for quick downloading.
    Forget print size; you're not printing the image, and only confusing
    things for yourself. Resize is what you're doing.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Nov 10, 2004
  13. "jk" <> writes:
    > "Gisle Hannemyr" <> wrote:
    >> "jk" <> writes:

    >>> I'm using Paintshop Pro 8.0 It's much less complicated. So you all
    >>> think I should reduce the size using pixel control instead of
    >>> resolution?

    >> Yes!

    >>> I have the camera set at the lowest quality now,

    >> At its lowest quality, the file size from the dRebel is
    >> 1536x1024 pixels. This is much more than is suitable for
    >> web publication (which is 450x300 or 600x400 pixels).

    > Thanks Giselle! In PSP 8, when I change the pixel size or print size
    > they both proportionally changed..... but when I change the
    > resolution, only the pixel size changes and the print size remains
    > the same. So I can lower the res to reduce the pixel size, or reduce
    > the pixel size which will reduce the print size. Which method will
    > reduce the file size more? It's a bit confusing, thanks for your
    > patience.

    When preparing images for the web, you should /ignore/ the "resolution"
    and "print size" parts of the resize dialogue.

    Just change the pixel size to something suitable for the web.
    I suggest 450x300 or 600x400 pixels.

    You are making this far too complicated.
    When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?
    Gisle Hannemyr, Nov 10, 2004