    Unfortunately there are no good camera stores in my area where I can
    personally test these. Thank you in advance for any help or opinions!

    Jeremy

    Jeremy S, Apr 9, 2006

  2. Jeremy S

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 10:25:59 -0700, Jeremy S wrote:

    > Being rather new to DSLR's, I'm thinking about purchasing a Canon 350
    > XL digital rebel. I've heard the stock lense has a few drawbacks, so
    > I'd like some opinions on some good alternatives that fit my needs.
    >
    > My budget is around $500- $600. I plan on using this camera for
    > outdoor and nature shots that would require a decent zoom, and fast
    > autofocusing. I also want something with IS. So far the Canon EF-S
    > 17-85 f4-5.6 ,
    > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=10511
    > ,seems like it would work. Does anyone have any first hand experience
    > with this lense or any others?
    >
    > Unfortunately there are no good camera stores in my area where I can
    > personally test these. Thank you in advance for any help or opinions!
    >
    > Jeremy

    I have the kit lens and used with care it can give good results.
    --
    Neil
    delete 'l' to reply

    Neil Ellwood, Apr 9, 2006

  3. > My budget is around $500- $600. I plan on using this camera for
    > outdoor and nature shots that would require a decent zoom, and fast
    > autofocusing. I also want something with IS. So far the Canon EF-S
    > 17-85 f4-5.6 ,
    > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=10511
    > ,seems like it would work. Does anyone have any first hand experience
    > with this lense or any others?

    The 17-85S is the default lens on my 350XT (I also own the 70-200 F4). It's
    an excellent all-purpose lens, and the IS capabilities will astound you
    (especially if you've never used IS before). I highly recommend that 2-lens
    combination. It should take care of most anything that comes your way.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Apr 9, 2006
  4. "Mike Jacoubowsky" <> writes:

    >> My budget is around $500- $600. I plan on using this camera for
    >> outdoor and nature shots that would require a decent zoom, and fast
    >> autofocusing. I also want something with IS. So far the Canon EF-S
    >> 17-85 f4-5.6 ,
    >> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=10511
    >> ,seems like it would work. Does anyone have any first hand experience
    >> with this lense or any others?

    > The 17-85S is the default lens on my 350XT (I also own the 70-200 F4). It's
    > an excellent all-purpose lens, and the IS capabilities will astound you
    > (especially if you've never used IS before). I highly recommend that 2-lens
    > combination. It should take care of most anything that comes your way.

    Also consider adding a 50mm f/1.8 to the mix. It's so cheap, there's
    really no reason not get one (unless you have a 50mm f/1.4).

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Apr 9, 2006
  5. "Jeremy S" <> wrote in message

    > Being rather new to DSLR's, I'm thinking about purchasing a Canon 350
    > XL digital rebel. I've heard the stock lense has a few drawbacks, so
    > I'd like some opinions on some good alternatives that fit my needs.
    >
    > My budget is around $500- $600. I plan on using this camera for
    > outdoor and nature shots that would require a decent zoom, and fast
    > autofocusing. I also want something with IS. So far the Canon EF-S
    > 17-85 f4-5.6 ,
    > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=10511
    > ,seems like it would work. Does anyone have any first hand experience
    > with this lense or any others?

    Yes, I have one and it is on my 20D most of the time. It is a very good
    general purpose lens.

    Charles Schuler, Apr 9, 2006
  6. Jeremy S

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Charles Schuler <> wrote:

    >"Jeremy S" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Being rather new to DSLR's, I'm thinking about purchasing a Canon 350
    >> XL digital rebel. I've heard the stock lense has a few drawbacks, so
    >> I'd like some opinions on some good alternatives that fit my needs.
    >>
    >> My budget is around $500- $600. I plan on using this camera for
    >> outdoor and nature shots that would require a decent zoom, and fast
    >> autofocusing. I also want something with IS. So far the Canon EF-S
    >> 17-85 f4-5.6 ,
    >> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=10511
    >> ,seems like it would work. Does anyone have any first hand experience
    >> with this lense or any others?

    >Yes, I have one and it is on my 20D most of the time. It is a very good
    >general purpose lens.

    Does the f/4 cause any problems? Cloudy days, twilight, etc.?

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Apr 10, 2006
  7. Jeremy S

    King Sardon Guest

    On 9 Apr 2006 10:25:59 -0700, "Jeremy S" <> wrote:

    >Being rather new to DSLR's, I'm thinking about purchasing a Canon 350
    >XL digital rebel. I've heard the stock lensee has a few drawbacks, so
    >I'd like some opinions on some good alternatives that fit my needs.
    >
    > My budget is around $500- $600. I plan on using this camera for
    >outdoor and nature shots that would require a decent zoom, and fast
    >autofocusing. I also want something with IS. So far the Canon EF-S
    >17-85 f4-5.6 ,
    >http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=10511
    >,seems like it would work. Does anyone have any first hand experience
    >with this lensee or any others?
    >
    > Unfortunately there are no good camera stores in my area where I can
    >personally test these. Thank you in advance for any help or opinions!

    Yeah, we have lots of no good camera stores around here too.

    The 18-55mm kit lens is plenty sharp, low cost, and so light, it is a
    joy to carry around everywhere. Great to have regardless.

    If you want better quality, consider the new 17-55 f2.8 IS that is to
    be released maybe this month or next. Basically the same zoom range as
    the kit but up to two stops faster, and sharper according to reports,
    and has IS.

    KS

    King Sardon, Apr 10, 2006
  8. Charles Schuler, Apr 10, 2006
  9. Jeremy S

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Paul J Gans, Apr 11, 2006
  10. Jeremy S

    alex Guest

    "Jeremy S" <> wrote in message

    > Being rather new to DSLR's, I'm thinking about purchasing a Canon 350
    > XL digital rebel. I've heard the stock lense has a few drawbacks, so
    > I'd like some opinions on some good alternatives that fit my needs.
    >
    > My budget is around $500- $600. I plan on using this camera for
    > outdoor and nature shots that would require a decent zoom, and fast
    > autofocusing. I also want something with IS. So far the Canon EF-S
    > 17-85 f4-5.6 ,
    > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=10511
    > ,seems like it would work. Does anyone have any first hand experience
    > with this lense or any others?
    >
    > Unfortunately there are no good camera stores in my area where I can
    > personally test these. Thank you in advance for any help or opinions!
    >
    > Jeremy

    I think the EF-S lens you suggest is (like the kit 18-55) a true x1
    magnification. If thats the case it's OK for wide angle outdoor landscape
    shots but probably wont give you enough zoomm for nature shots, assuming you
    mean wildlife.

    If thats the case you might want to go upto 90/125mm - remember that with
    the EF lenses you get 1.6 x the focal length because of the crop factor of
    the Rebel XT (350D) so that would be 150/200mm.

    The 18-55mm kit lens isn't bad, just not too fast when at full zoom but
    adequate for outside shots.

    It might be worth gettinh two lenses that bridge a wider focal legth 18-70,
    then 70-200 etc. If you have money left over after the shorter length lens,
    spend more on a faster, long lens.

    The 50mm f/1.8 lens is also fab !, cheap and light...

    Alex

    alex, Apr 12, 2006