    600 bucks and an XT is around 800 or so) what would you recommend for
    shooting stuff that will go on the web? thanks!

    -Nick
    Dr Nick, Oct 26, 2005

  2. "Dr Nick" <> wrote:

    > We are looking at buying a Digital rebel 300D or getting the newer rebel
    > XT. there is a decent megapixel difference (6.3-8.0) between the two of
    > them. is this a difference we will notice when putting them on-line? (we
    > would take all pics at full quality, then photoshop them at full before
    > compressing them to put on the web)

    You won't see any difference after downsampling to web size. None, nada,
    zip.

    > the fact that it's about a 200 dollar difference between the two fo them
    > (can get a rebel for about 600 bucks and an XT is around 800 or so) what
    > would you recommend for shooting stuff that will go on the web? thanks!

    The XT improves on the 300D in a lot of minor ways (see the list at the link
    below) that, I think, add up (for example, the better flash control (E-TTL
    II and FEC) could make your work easier). So my recommendation would be to
    go for the XT if possible financially.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Oct 26, 2005

  3. Dr Nick

    Frank ess Guest

    Dr Nick wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to the group, am having sort of an "argument" with a
    > friend and wanted to ask the pros (or at least peopel who know mroe
    > about the topic than myself and my friend) we are running an Ebay
    > business and up until recently were shooting with a 20D (great
    > camera) but a little overkill in my opinion. we would take the pics
    > then do some lite photo shop work to them before putting them
    > on-line. we are now looking for a new camera because we no longer
    > have access to the 20D. and don't want to spend the 20D's price tag
    > considering we are both pretty amature and didn't use a lto fo the
    > features it had to offer. We are looking at buying a Digital rebel
    > 300D or getting the newer rebel XT. there is a decent megapixel
    > difference (6.3-8.0) between the two of them. is this a difference
    > we
    > will notice when putting them on-line? (we would take all pics at
    > full quality, then photoshop them at full before compressing them to
    > put on the web) the fact that it's about a 200 dollar difference
    > between the two fo them (can get a rebel for about 600 bucks and an
    > XT is around 800 or so) what would you recommend for shooting stuff
    > that will go on the web? thanks!
    > -Nick

    I'd find a good Nikon CP995 and be happy and richer ever after.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Oct 26, 2005
  4. Dr Nick

    Dr Nick Guest

    > The XT improves on the 300D in a lot of minor ways (see the list at the
    > link
    > below) that, I think, add up (for example, the better flash control (E-TTL
    > II and FEC) could make your work easier). So my recommendation would be to
    > go for the XT if possible financially.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

    looked at the link but form what I see most of it is greek to me, lol. we
    woudl mainly use the dial on the top of the 20D but didn't use too many of
    it's features, I imagine we will do the same with the rebel so I don't think
    the fact it has extra features is gonna matter too mch. any ideas on cheap
    places to buy a rebel? possibly new (I know it's hard to find a new rebel,
    I'm mostly finding refurbs) thanks!
    Dr Nick, Oct 26, 2005
  5. Dr Nick

    Dr Nick Guest

    ok Decided to go with the XT found it brand new in box with a lens for 720
    shipped. looking for a 1GB card for it. my question, are all cards created
    equil? I see some "ultra" cards and other just normal? are all brands
    created equil? what card should I get for this to maxamize it's speed?
    thanks!

    -Nick
    Dr Nick, Oct 26, 2005
  6. "Dr Nick" <> wrote in message
    > ok Decided to go with the XT found it brand new in box with a lens for 720
    > shipped. looking for a 1GB card for it. my question, are all cards created
    > equil? I see some "ultra" cards and other just normal? are all brands
    > created equil? what card should I get for this to maxamize it's speed?
    > thanks!

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7699

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Oct 26, 2005
  7. Dr Nick

    Dr Nick Guest

    > "Dr Nick" <> wrote in message
    >> ok Decided to go with the XT found it brand new in box with a lens for
    >> 720 shipped. looking for a 1GB card for it. my question, are all cards
    >> created equil? I see some "ultra" cards and other just normal? are all
    >> brands created equil? what card should I get for this to maxamize it's
    >> speed? thanks!

    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7699

    thanks for the great info, just one last question, does the memory card have
    anything to do with how fast or slow the pictures are transfered from the
    camrea to the computer?
    Dr Nick, Oct 26, 2005
  8. "Dr Nick" <> wrote:
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    >> "Dr Nick" <> wrote in message
    >>> ok Decided to go with the XT found it brand new in box with a lens for
    >>> 720 shipped. looking for a 1GB card for it. my question, are all cards
    >>> created equil? I see some "ultra" cards and other just normal? are all
    >>> brands created equil? what card should I get for this to maxamize it's
    >>> speed? thanks!

    >> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7699
    >>

    > thanks for the great info, just one last question, does the memory card
    > have anything to do with how fast or slow the pictures are transfered from
    > the camrea to the computer?

    Hmm. I'd guess not a lot. Even though the XT is USB 2.0, and worlds faster
    at downloading than the 300D, I saw a benchmark somewhere that showed that
    it was still a lot slower than a USB2.0 card reader, so that would probably
    be the limiting factor.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Oct 26, 2005
  9. Dr Nick

    railfan Guest

    Either Rebel is overkill for eBay use. They reduce the sizes of photos
    on auctions anyway. I've used 1.3MP and 3.3MP point and shoot digital
    cameras to shoot eBay auctions, seemed to work great. I now have both
    the Rebel 300 and the Rebel XT 350, but haven't had any auctions for a
    while to use them with.

    If you're buying the camera just for eBay, most of the point and shoot
    cameras these days should work just fine. Save yourself a bunch.

    Bob Boudreau
    railfan, Oct 26, 2005
  10. Dr Nick

    SimonLW Guest

    "Dr Nick" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm new to the group, am having sort of an "argument" with a friend
    > and wanted to ask the pros (or at least peopel who know mroe about the
    > topic than myself and my friend) we are running an Ebay business and up
    > until recently were shooting with a 20D (great camera) but a little
    > overkill in my opinion. we would take the pics then do some lite photo
    > shop work to them before putting them on-line. we are now looking for a
    > new camera because we no longer have access to the 20D. and don't want to
    > spend the 20D's price tag considering we are both pretty amature and
    > didn't use a lto fo the features it had to offer. We are looking at buying
    > a Digital rebel 300D or getting the newer rebel XT. there is a decent
    > megapixel difference (6.3-8.0) between the two of them. is this a
    > difference we will notice when putting them on-line? (we would take all
    > pics at full quality, then photoshop them at full before compressing them
    > to put on the web) the fact that it's about a 200 dollar difference
    > between the two fo them (can get a rebel for about 600 bucks and an XT is
    > around 800 or so) what would you recommend for shooting stuff that will go
    > on the web? thanks!
    >
    > -Nick

    If cost is the issue, I'd say you don't need the Rebel at all. I shoot my
    ebay pix with a 3MP camera and use flood lights on each side. The pix look
    very good. The sub VGA resolution images that ebay uses that are strongly
    compressed just don't need the resolution the Rebel gives. If you can find a
    1 MP camera (on ebay!) it should be all you need.

    Of course, you can host your own images, but I see auctions where they put
    up multiple huge images that are not compressed enough and take forever to
    load. I'm on dialup at home, so I click out of these auctions.
    -S
    SimonLW, Oct 26, 2005
  11. Dr Nick

    Nick Vital Guest

    yes I do host my own images (ebay charges insaine fees per picture to have
    them host it) so my pictures are typically much better quality than the
    average ebayer. but i still keep in mind they do need to be small as not to
    discourage bidders on slow speed connections. main reason I want the rebel
    is we used a 20D (I know WAY overkill) before and it was great, also
    espically nice to be able to change lenses (for example using a macro lens
    to take pictures of jewlery and other small items is GREAT). Also looking to
    get into some other stuff (non-web) that the camera woudl help us "grow"
    with so we wouldn't have to buy another one down to road.

    -Nick
    Nick Vital, Oct 26, 2005
  12. Dr Nick

    l e o Guest

    railfan wrote:
    > Either Rebel is overkill for eBay use. They reduce the sizes of photos
    > on auctions anyway. I've used 1.3MP and 3.3MP point and shoot digital
    > cameras to shoot eBay auctions, seemed to work great. I now have both
    > the Rebel 300 and the Rebel XT 350, but haven't had any auctions for a
    > while to use them with.
    >
    > If you're buying the camera just for eBay, most of the point and shoot
    > cameras these days should work just fine. Save yourself a bunch.
    >
    > Bob Boudreau

    You can put a link in the ebay ad with more pix and bigger pix (free) …
    unless they change the policy.
    l e o, Oct 26, 2005
  13. Dr Nick

    l e o Guest

    Nick Vital wrote:
    > yes I do host my own images (ebay charges insaine fees per picture to have
    > them host it) so my pictures are typically much better quality than the
    > average ebayer. but i still keep in mind they do need to be small as not to
    > discourage bidders on slow speed connections. main reason I want the rebel
    > is we used a 20D (I know WAY overkill) before and it was great, also
    > espically nice to be able to change lenses (for example using a macro lens
    > to take pictures of jewlery and other small items is GREAT). Also looking to
    > get into some other stuff (non-web) that the camera woudl help us "grow"
    > with so we wouldn't have to buy another one down to road.
    >
    > -Nick

    You will like the XT more. It's much faster. I assume you don't just use
    the camera for ebay only [that's really overkill]. The XT is fast enough
    to capture running dogs. I have 20D and love it.
    l e o, Oct 26, 2005
  14. Dr Nick

    This old Bob Guest

    "Dr Nick" <> wrote in message

    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dr Nick" <> wrote in message
    >>> ok Decided to go with the XT found it brand new in box with a lens for
    >>> 720 shipped. looking for a 1GB card for it. my question, are all cards
    >>> created equil? I see some "ultra" cards and other just normal? are all
    >>> brands created equil? what card should I get for this to maxamize it's
    >>> speed? thanks!

    >> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7699
    >>

    > thanks for the great info, just one last question, does the memory card
    > have anything to do with how fast or slow the pictures are transfered from
    > the camrea to the computer?

    If you are going to be downloading more than 512MB of pictures at a time
    using a card reader (which is really the best way to do this) you will want
    at least a 40x card so you don't have to wait 15 minutes for the download to
    the PC to finish. On a XT you don't need the fast cards for shooting, but
    the slow downloads to the PC will make you want to cry.
    This old Bob, Oct 26, 2005
  15. Dr Nick

    Nick Vital Guest

    > You will like the XT more. It's much faster. I assume you don't just use
    > the camera for ebay only [that's really overkill]. The XT is fast enough
    > to capture running dogs. I have 20D and love it.

    well before we used to use a 20D just for ebay (yes overkill) but we walked
    out of that palce (problems with the owner.. LONG story, lol) and are going
    out on our own. at first it will be used mainly for web work but we have
    plans in the future to do a lot more photo work. but for now why use a fly
    swatter when a bazooka will do just fine ;-)
    Nick Vital, Oct 26, 2005
  16. Dr Nick

    Dan Birchall Guest

    (Dr Nick) wrote:
    > We are looking at buying a Digital rebel 300D or getting the newer
    > rebel XT. there is a decent megapixel difference (6.3-8.0) between
    > the two of them. is this a difference we will notice when putting
    > them on-line? (we would take all pics at full quality, then photoshop them
    > at full before compressing them to put on the web)

    No. The native resolution of either camera is so high compared to
    the resolutions you'd use for photos on eBay that it shouldn't matter
    which one you use, IMO.

    --
    Screaming in Digital - http://scream.org/ - Queensryche fandom since 1991.
    Dan Birchall, Nov 4, 2005
  17. Dr Nick

    Matt Ion Guest

    Dan Birchall wrote:
    > (Dr Nick) wrote:
    >
    >> We are looking at buying a Digital rebel 300D or getting the newer
    >> rebel XT. there is a decent megapixel difference (6.3-8.0) between
    >> the two of them. is this a difference we will notice when putting
    >> them on-line? (we would take all pics at full quality, then photoshop them
    >> at full before compressing them to put on the web)

    > No. The native resolution of either camera is so high compared to
    > the resolutions you'd use for photos on eBay that it shouldn't matter
    > which one you use, IMO.

    To add some perspective, you probably don't want or need to put any
    picture bigger than maybe a couple megapixels on any eBay ad...

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0544-8, 11/04/2005
    Tested on: 11/4/2005 12:21:54 PM
    Matt Ion, Nov 4, 2005