Digital Railroad disappears overnight

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jj@unspameljefe.net, Nov 3, 2008.

  1. Guest

    , Nov 3, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > In the continuing saga of Why I Still Prefer Film Even Though I Now
    > Use A 5D, there's this:
    >
    > http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2008/10/digitalrailroad.html
    >

    > JJ

    Only an idiot (to put it bluntly) would store in a place like that their
    only copy of a file. Getting the money your owed is another thing and
    may be unlikely. The real problem is the liquidator of the company may
    try and sell the files it has as an asset of the company even though it
    doesn't own the copyright. One could be in court for years fighting with
    them. That problem could exist if they had film or files so his has
    noting to do with digital verse film.

    John Passaneau

    John Passaneau, Nov 3, 2008

    John Passaneau, Nov 3, 2008
  4. Matt Ion Guest

    John Passaneau wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> In the continuing saga of Why I Still Prefer Film Even Though I Now
    >> Use A 5D, there's this:
    >>
    >> http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2008/10/digitalrailroad.html
    >>

    >> JJ
    >>

    > Only an idiot (to put it bluntly) would store in a place like that their
    > only copy of a file. Getting the money your owed is another thing and
    > may be unlikely. The real problem is the liquidator of the company may
    > try and sell the files it has as an asset of the company even though it
    > doesn't own the copyright. One could be in court for years fighting with
    > them. That problem could exist if they had film or files so his has
    > noting to do with digital verse film.

    Agreed there - film is no safer than digital if you have only one copy
    of your negatives and you store them in a box in some shady storage
    facility.

    Digital actually has an advantage in this case, because it's so easy to
    make multiple copies of your originals and keep them in different,
    diverse places anywhere in the world.

    Matt Ion, Nov 3, 2008
  5. Charles Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In the continuing saga of Why I Still Prefer Film Even Though I Now
    > Use A 5D, there's this:

    This has absolutely nothing to do with film ... and, face it, current film
    photographers most often scan/digitize their images.

    CD-R, DVD-R, huge USB hard drives at great prices!

    Nobody of any acumen would solely store their images on some remote server.

    Charles, Nov 3, 2008
  6. Guest

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 18:18:05 -0500, "Charles"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> In the continuing saga of Why I Still Prefer Film Even Though I Now
    >> Use A 5D, there's this:

    >This has absolutely nothing to do with film ... and, face it, current film
    >photographers most often scan/digitize their images.
    >
    >CD-R, DVD-R, huge USB hard drives at great prices!
    >
    >Nobody of any acumen would solely store their images on some remote server.

    The last few years when I was still shooting film I would also have it
    processed onto CD. That would give me a set of negs, a double set of
    prints and digital media as well. If something happens to one, you've
    still got the others as inherent back-ups.

    Plus, I'd just drop the film off at the lab and come back an hour or a
    day later to get everything. I didn't have to spend five hours a day
    in front of a computer playing with Photoshop, et al, when I could be
    out shooting. And I didn't need a hard drive and a computer screen to
    see what I'd shot. Or 1TB back-up drives to store 13 MB RAW files.

    You can back up digital files all you want. I do. But it's a pain in
    the ass. I'd love to digitize the 30 years of negs in my archives, but
    who's going to sit around doing that? Who can afford to farm it out?
    Not me.

    That being said, yeah, anybody who stores stuff on a remote server
    without additional back-up is asking for trouble.

    JJ

    , Nov 7, 2008