Digital prints-the Agony of choice!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mark.worthington, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    Could any of you help? I am hoping to get a digital camera but firstly I
    have a dodgy printer, no USB port on my PC and wonder if the hassle and
    cost would be worth it if I got a new printer etc etc. Is it better to
    simply take the memory card and get the images printed at a quality
    local developers? A lot of the time it would be possible to view most of
    the pictures on a TV with the use of a AV cable and any particularly
    special ones could be sent for printing/enlargement.
    Plus not being able to 'fiddle' with images with adobe photoshop might
    encourage me to get the photos as near to perfect with the camera
    (asuming a manual option of course), to start with-surely something
    which would give more satisfaction in the long term. Of course one might
    ask the question why get a digicam if I'm simply going to not bother
    manipulating the pics? Well I suspect that the kind of digicam I am
    looking for would outclass any normal SLR for really close up macro
    shots and also for digiscoping, something which I suspect a film SLR
    can't do well due to a poorer ability to pick up the fainter light found
    at high magnifications (x25+) and limited objective (60mm). And of
    course a single 256mB flash card (or even 128mB for that matter) could
    hold an entire holiday of high quality photos without having a sack-full
    of film cartridges.

    Could the group relate some of their thoughts as I'm sure some of you
    must have gone through similar problems?

    Waiting with interest?

    Mark

    mark.worthington, Apr 21, 2004

  2. mark.worthington wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Could any of you help? I am hoping to get a digital camera but firstly I
    > have a dodgy printer, no USB port on my PC and wonder if the hassle and
    > cost would be worth it if I got a new printer etc etc. Is it better to
    > simply take the memory card and get the images printed at a quality
    > local developers? A lot of the time it would be possible to view most of
    > the pictures on a TV with the use of a AV cable and any particularly
    > special ones could be sent for printing/enlargement.
    > Plus not being able to 'fiddle' with images with adobe photoshop might
    > encourage me to get the photos as near to perfect with the camera
    > (asuming a manual option of course), to start with-surely something
    > which would give more satisfaction in the long term. Of course one might
    > ask the question why get a digicam if I'm simply going to not bother
    > manipulating the pics? Well I suspect that the kind of digicam I am
    > looking for would outclass any normal SLR for really close up macro
    > shots and also for digiscoping, something which I suspect a film SLR
    > can't do well due to a poorer ability to pick up the fainter light found
    > at high magnifications (x25+) and limited objective (60mm). And of
    > course a single 256mB flash card (or even 128mB for that matter) could
    > hold an entire holiday of high quality photos without having a sack-full
    > of film cartridges.
    >
    > Could the group relate some of their thoughts as I'm sure some of you
    > must have gone through similar problems?
    >
    > Waiting with interest?
    >
    > Mark

    My ultimate goal is to take photos that don't need post-processing with Photoshop.

    My printer seems to go through ink at an alarming rate, and being quite old you
    can see the individual dots, so I either need to get the photos I want printed
    at a shop or buy a new printer. I'd love the instant gratification of printing
    at home, but I think I would prefer to save money.

    --
    Ben Thomas

    Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
    limit.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Apr 21, 2004

  3. mark.worthington

    Andrew Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:10:32 +0100, "mark.worthington"
    <> wrote:

    >Could any of you help? I am hoping to get a digital camera but firstly I
    >have a dodgy printer, no USB port on my PC

    You can buy a PCI USB card for your PC very cheaply.

    > and wonder if the hassle and
    >cost would be worth it if I got a new printer etc etc. Is it better to
    >simply take the memory card and get the images printed at a quality
    >local developers?

    A lot of printers these days will print directly from memory card,
    bypassing the need for a PC.

    Andrew, Apr 22, 2004
  4. mark.worthington

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:29:39 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:10:32 +0100, "mark.worthington"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Could any of you help? I am hoping to get a digital camera but firstly I
    >>have a dodgy printer, no USB port on my PC

    >You can buy a PCI USB card for your PC very cheaply.

    Possibly.
    With a computer so old it doesn't have USB ports, the OS itself may be
    Win95, which doesn't support USB.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Apr 22, 2004
  5. mark.worthington

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:29:39 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Andrew
    <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:10:32 +0100, "mark.worthington"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Could any of you help? I am hoping to get a digital camera but firstly I
    >>have a dodgy printer, no USB port on my PC

    >You can buy a PCI USB card for your PC very cheaply.

    Notice the PC is still running Win95, so it's not just a matter of the
    card, but the OS as well.

    From: "mark.worthington" <>
    ^^^^^
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Apr 23, 2004