digital printing DPI

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    Hi,

    if I have an image with a resolution of

    2250 x 1500 (3:2)

    and ask one of the online printers to print it at a size of
    7.5 x 5 inches (3:2) it will be printed at 300 dpi.

    if I ask them to print it at a size of
    6 x 4 inches (3:2)

    will they

    a) print it at 375 dpi?

    b) use some software filter to make the image to a 300 dpi format?

    c) crop it to a 300 dpi format?

    d) some thing else.

    If they can print at 375 dpi then what is the maximum dpi they can print
    at?

    Thanks

    nospam, Jul 2, 2005

  2. nospam wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > if I have an image with a resolution of
    >
    > 2250 x 1500 (3:2)
    >
    > and ask one of the online printers to print it at a size of
    > 7.5 x 5 inches (3:2) it will be printed at 300 dpi.

    Are you sure?

    > if I ask them to print it at a size of
    > 6 x 4 inches (3:2)
    >
    > will they
    >
    > a) print it at 375 dpi?
    >
    > b) use some software filter to make the image to a 300 dpi format?
    >
    > c) crop it to a 300 dpi format?

    Likely they will print it at whatever their printer prints at and will
    use software to adjust, rather than cropping.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Jul 2, 2005

  3. nospam

    Bob Williams Guest

    nospam wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > if I have an image with a resolution of
    >
    > 2250 x 1500 (3:2)
    >
    > and ask one of the online printers to print it at a size of
    > 7.5 x 5 inches (3:2) it will be printed at 300 dpi.
    >
    > if I ask them to print it at a size of
    > 6 x 4 inches (3:2)
    >
    > will they
    >
    > a) print it at 375 dpi?
    >
    > b) use some software filter to make the image to a 300 dpi format?
    >
    > c) crop it to a 300 dpi format?
    >
    > d) some thing else.
    >
    > If they can print at 375 dpi then what is the maximum dpi they can print
    > at?
    >
    > Thanks

    AFAIK, most commercial printers have some "native" resolution at which
    they print. (Probably 300 dpi)
    No matter what resolution your sent image is, They will resample it to
    300 dpi before printing. Of course it's best to send as many original
    pixels as possible so the print does not suffer too much from UPsampling.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Jul 2, 2005
  4. nospam

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    nospam wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > if I have an image with a resolution of
    >
    > 2250 x 1500 (3:2)
    >
    > and ask one of the online printers to print it at a size of
    > 7.5 x 5 inches (3:2) it will be printed at 300 dpi.
    >
    > if I ask them to print it at a size of
    > 6 x 4 inches (3:2)
    >
    > will they
    >
    > a) print it at 375 dpi?
    >
    > b) use some software filter to make the image to a 300 dpi format?
    >
    > c) crop it to a 300 dpi format?
    >
    > d) some thing else.
    >
    > If they can print at 375 dpi then what is the maximum dpi they can print
    > at?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi...

    They're going to print it at what their printer wants
    to print it at.

    If you've given them too much they'll downsample; if you
    give them too few they'll upsample.

    Naturally they won't intentionally crop it on you,
    but they *will* if you give them an image of inappropriate
    ratio.

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Jul 2, 2005
  5. nospam

    Darrell Guest

    "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message

    > nospam wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> if I have an image with a resolution of
    >>
    >> 2250 x 1500 (3:2)
    >>
    >> and ask one of the online printers to print it at a size of
    >> 7.5 x 5 inches (3:2) it will be printed at 300 dpi.
    >>
    >> if I ask them to print it at a size of
    >> 6 x 4 inches (3:2)
    >>
    >> will they
    >>
    >> a) print it at 375 dpi?
    >>
    >> b) use some software filter to make the image to a 300 dpi format?
    >>
    >> c) crop it to a 300 dpi format?
    >>
    >> d) some thing else.
    >>
    >> If they can print at 375 dpi then what is the maximum dpi they can print
    >> at?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > AFAIK, most commercial printers have some "native" resolution at which
    > they print. (Probably 300 dpi)
    > No matter what resolution your sent image is, They will resample it to 300
    > dpi before printing. Of course it's best to send as many original pixels
    > as possible so the print does not suffer too much from UPsampling.
    > Bob Williams

    The Noritsu 2901 uses 400 dpi, this would be the same for all current
    Noritsu's. Some other mini-labs run at 300 dpi. You should ask the lab, and
    see if they have a profile available.

    A good resource is; http://www.drycreekphoto.com
    Darrell, Jul 2, 2005
  6. Sharp Shooter, Jul 2, 2005
  7. nospam

    nospam Guest

    I have just had replies from two online photo labs.

    www.peak-imaging.com say;

    "All our printers have a target resolution of 256dpi so anything over
    that is
    overkill for the relevant print size."

    and

    www.club35.co.uk

    The printer prints at 300dpi, if the image is above this it is
    automatically
    converted to 300dpi.

    So I guess that answers my questions.

    No need to get a camera that has a resolution of more than 3000 x 2400
    as I don't print bigger than 10x8.
    nospam, Jul 4, 2005
  8. nospam

    Bob Williams Guest

    nospam wrote:

    > I have just had replies from two online photo labs.
    >
    > www.peak-imaging.com say;
    >
    > "All our printers have a target resolution of 256dpi so anything over
    > that is
    > overkill for the relevant print size."
    >
    > and
    >
    > www.club35.co.uk
    >
    > The printer prints at 300dpi, if the image is above this it is
    > automatically
    > converted to 300dpi.
    >

    > So I guess that answers my questions.
    >
    > No need to get a camera that has a resolution of more than 3000 x 2400
    > as I don't print bigger than 10x8.

    You don't really need 3000 2400 = 7.2MP to make stunning 8x10s
    Actually, 4 MP will do nicely.
    You can upsample your image to 7.2 MP in Photoshop (or similar), or let
    the online printer do it for you. Most people could not see the
    difference in two 8x10 prints, one made with 7.2 original MP and one
    with 4.0 original MP upsampled to 7.2MP.
    Megapixels is just one of many important variables that determine image
    quality. Lens quality, sensor size, available light, jpeg compression
    and the manufacturer's in-camera processing all contribute strongly to
    the final image quality.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Jul 4, 2005
  9. nospam

    Jim Townsend Guest

    nospam wrote:

    > No need to get a camera that has a resolution of more than 3000 x 2400
    > as I don't print bigger than 10x8.

    So you never crop your images ? :)
    Jim Townsend, Jul 5, 2005
  10. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In message <>, Jim Townsend
    <> writes
    >nospam wrote:
    >

    >> No need to get a camera that has a resolution of more than 3000 x 2400
    >> as I don't print bigger than 10x8.

    >So you never crop your images ? :)

    OK point taken, but I never crop too much so maybe some of my prints
    will come out at 280 dpi, I guess I won't notice too much difference.

    But the mju800 has a resolution of 3200 ish so I have 200 or so pixels
    in hand. But at least now I'm not going to worry too much about spending
    too much money on a mega camera.

    nospam, Jul 5, 2005