    company disappear off the face of the earth, so I have no more than a faint
    hope that this prediction will come true based on this conversation. Are
    there other hints that I've missed?
    Phil Stripling, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Phil Stripling

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > I have had booth bodies make similar statements to me about upcoming
    > products and software at various exhibitions, and then had the entire
    > company disappear off the face of the earth, so I have no more than a

    faint
    > hope that this prediction will come true based on this conversation. Are
    > there other hints that I've missed?
    > --
    > Philip Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
    > Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip@
    > http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | my domain is read daily.

    You must have missed the official Nikon press release about the D70 being in
    development.
    That is a pretty big hint.

    Jim Waggener, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Phil Stripling

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Nikon has indeed pre-announced a sub- 1000 body with a promise for summer. I
    think the pre-announce was mainly to slow down the bleeding out of Nikon
    users to Canon digitals, but they will have to live up to the promise or
    there will be serious consequences. As to the quality of a sub 1000 dollar
    Nikon digital -- remember that every film body below the N80 is crippled.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Phil Stripling

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote in message
    > Nikon has indeed pre-announced a sub- 1000 body with a promise for summer.

    > think the pre-announce was mainly to slow down the bleeding out of Nikon
    > users to Canon digitals, but they will have to live up to the promise or
    > there will be serious consequences. As to the quality of a sub 1000 dollar
    > Nikon digital -- remember that every film body below the N80 is crippled.

    My guess is it will be based on the N80, at least the released photo's sure
    look like one. And guess what Tony...you CAN set a ISO on a digital.

    Jim Waggener, Jan 9, 2004
  5. "Jim Waggener" <> writes:

    > My guess is it will be based on the N80, at least the released photo's sure
    > look like one. And guess what Tony...you CAN set a ISO on a digital.

    As you by now know, I'm not really current on digital cameras, but isn't
    the high-end Nikon digital (D1?) based on the N80?
    Phil Stripling, Jan 9, 2004
  6. Phil Stripling

    Ian Smith Guest

    In article
    <hqlLb.192988$>,
    (Tony Spadaro) wrote:

    > ... remember that every film body below the N80 is
    > crippled.

    The N80 doesn't meter with non-AF lenses, so shouldn't be
    regarded as a 'proper' Nikon, either... Nor is it's build
    quality up to pro (or semi-pro) quality, either...

    ATB,

    Ian
    Ian Smith, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Phil Stripling

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message

    > "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote in message
    > > Nikon has indeed pre-announced a sub- 1000 body with a promise for

    summer.
    > > think the pre-announce was mainly to slow down the bleeding out of Nikon
    > > users to Canon digitals, but they will have to live up to the promise or
    > > there will be serious consequences. As to the quality of a sub 1000

    dollar
    > > Nikon digital -- remember that every film body below the N80 is

    crippled.

    > My guess is it will be based on the N80, at least the released photo's

    sure
    > look like one. And guess what Tony...you CAN set a ISO on a digital.

    Most views about the D70 is that it is based on the N75 body and features.
    The D100 is pretty much a simplified F100 body with N80 guts.
    Chris Hoopes, Jan 9, 2004
  8. Phil Stripling

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    > "Jim Waggener" <> writes:
    >
    > > My guess is it will be based on the N80, at least the released photo's

    sure
    > > look like one. And guess what Tony...you CAN set a ISO on a digital.

    > As you by now know, I'm not really current on digital cameras, but isn't
    > the high-end Nikon digital (D1?) based on the N80?
    > --
    > Philip Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
    > Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip@
    > http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | my domain is read daily.

    The D100 is based on components from the N80 - same autofocus and metering,
    etc. The D1 series cameras have higher-end components.
    Chris Hoopes, Jan 9, 2004
  9. Phil Stripling

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Indeed it is.

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 9, 2004
  10. Phil Stripling

    Gavin Cato Guest

    That depends on your definition of high end.

    The D100 is basically a digital N80.

    The D1/D1x/D1h are F100/F5 hybrids.

    The D2h appears to be something a bit better than a F5.

    Gav

    \

    Gavin Cato, Jan 9, 2004
  11. Phil Stripling

    JK Guest

    When the D70 comes out, Canon might come out with an even lower
    priced digital slr, or just drop the price on the Digital Rebel significantly.

    JK, Jan 10, 2004
  12. Phil Stripling

    JK Guest

    The race for a sub $500 digital slr will be exciting. Many consumers
    have a budget of under $1000 for everything- a spare battery or two,
    two lenses, a large memory card or two, etc.

    JK, Jan 10, 2004