    at least in this portfolio, a dry brush filter in Photoshop. Anyway,
    it's a lot of fun!

    Marek
    Marek (Wayfarer), Apr 10, 2005

  2. Marek (Wayfarer)

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Marek (Wayfarer) wrote:
    > I've just put some of my pinhole images on-line:
    >
    > http://www.marekuliasz.com/pinhole/
    >
    > Flowers and still life. There are shot with Canon EOS 10D with a camera
    > body cap pinhole. Pinhole purists may not like them since I am adding,
    > at least in this portfolio, a dry brush filter in Photoshop. Anyway,
    > it's a lot of fun!
    >
    > Marek

    Marek, thanks for sharing those with the rpd group. I loved them. How
    did you do this- modify a commercial camera? I am encouraged to try it.
    How did you estimate exposure?
    Don Stauffer, Apr 10, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    "Marek (Wayfarer)" <> wrote:

    > I've just put some of my pinhole images on-line:
    >
    > http://www.marekuliasz.com/pinhole/
    >
    > Flowers and still life. There are shot with Canon EOS 10D with a camera
    > body cap pinhole. Pinhole purists may not like them since I am adding,
    > at least in this portfolio, a dry brush filter in Photoshop. Anyway,
    > it's a lot of fun!
    >
    > Marek

    I've been curious about trying this too. I think I'll buy a spare cap
    the next time I'm in a camera store.

    Did you use foil over a large hole or just make a small hole in the
    plastic? What size hole?
    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Marek (Wayfarer)

    steven Guest

    "Don Stauffer" <> wrote in message
    > Marek (Wayfarer) wrote:
    > > I've just put some of my pinhole images on-line:
    > >
    > > http://www.marekuliasz.com/pinhole/
    > >
    > > Flowers and still life. There are shot with Canon EOS 10D with a camera
    > > body cap pinhole. Pinhole purists may not like them since I am adding,
    > > at least in this portfolio, a dry brush filter in Photoshop. Anyway,
    > > it's a lot of fun!
    > >
    > > Marek

    > Marek, thanks for sharing those with the rpd group. I loved them. How
    > did you do this- modify a commercial camera? I am encouraged to try it.
    > How did you estimate exposure?

    First, there's the pinhole diameter (D). The smaller D, the sharper the
    image, but also the longer the exposure. Say D = 1 mm (which won't give you
    very sharp images).
    Then there's the distance between pinhole and image sensor (L). On my Dynax
    7D this would be 48mm. (There's a mark on the camera body indicating the
    sensor plane)
    Now aperture = D / L, so 1 mm / 48 mm = f/48. That's 5 stops slower than
    f/8, which means a 32 times longer exposure than at f/8. E.g. if f/8 says
    1/60s you'll need half a second exposure.

    Making a hole less than 0.1 mm is not too difficult, but it will be hard to
    measure. They'd give you a very sharp image and great DOF, but the required
    exposure may be longer than your camera can give you.
    Marek, what's the diameter of your pinhole (more or less)?
    HTH

    Steven
    steven, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

    > Did you use foil over a large hole or just make a small hole in the
    > plastic? What size hole?

    I made my camera bodycap pinhole lens years ago using one of predrilled
    metal pinhole plates I had. I was playing with pinhole shots using 4x5
    graflex camera at that time. I believe I used a pinhole size optimal for
    50 mm focal length: ~0.25 mm.

    Marek
    htpp://www.MarekUliasz.com
    Marek (Wayfarer), Apr 10, 2005
  6. steven wrote:

    > Marek, what's the diameter of your pinhole (more or less)?

    pinhole diameter ~0.25 mm (optimal for 50mm focal length)

    exposure times:
    - in my desktop "studio" for flower shots (desktop lamp, small
    flashlight + some white boards) - from 10 to 30 seconds
    - outdoors with sun light - from 1 to 8 seconds

    Marek
    http://www.MarekUliasz.com
    Marek (Wayfarer), Apr 10, 2005
  7. Marek (Wayfarer)

    Lin Chung Guest

    Marek (Wayfarer) wrote:
    > I've just put some of my pinhole images on-line:
    > http://www.marekuliasz.com/pinhole/ Flowers and still life. There are shot
    > with Canon EOS 10D with a camera body cap pinhole. Pinhole purists may not
    > like them since I am adding, at least in this portfolio, a dry brush
    > filter in Photoshop.

    Interesting!

    Here is another for the pinhole photography aficionados:
    http://www.pinhole.cz/en/pinholecameras/dirkon_01.html

    --
    Lin Chung.
    [The Water Margins of Liang Shan Po were at the time of the Sung dynasty.
    Lin Chung, Apr 10, 2005