Digital picture size ..Urgent.....plz help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by why, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. why

    why Guest

    Hi,

    I want to apply for dvlottary
    http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants_types_diversity3.html#changed

    Accourding to that website

    Technical Specifications: The submitted digital photograph must
    conform to the following specifications or the system will
    automatically reject the EDV Entry Form and notify the sender.

    Taking a New Digital Image. If a new digital image is taken, it must
    meet the following specifications:
    Image File Format:
    The image must be in the Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG)
    format.

    Image File Size:
    The maximum image file size will be sixty-two thousand five hundred
    (62,500) bytes.

    Image Resolution:
    There are two acceptable new digital image resolutions:

    320 pixels high by 240 pixels wide.
    240 pixels high by 320 pixels wide.

    Image Color Depth:
    24-bit color or 8-bit color or 8-bit grayscale. [Note: Monochrome
    images (2-bit color depth) will not be accepted.]

    Scanning a Submitted Photograph. Before a photographic print is
    scanned, it must meet the following specifications:
    Print Size:
    2 inches by 2 inches (50mm x 50mm) square.

    Print Color:
    The image must be either in color or grayscale.

    The photographic print must also meet the Compositional
    Specifications. If the photographic print meets the Print Size, Print
    Color, and Compositional Specifications, scan the print using the
    following scanner specifications.

    Scanner Resolution:
    Scanned at a resolution of 150 dots per inch (dpi).

    Image File Format:
    The image must be in the Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG)
    format.

    Image File Size:
    The maximum image file size will be sixty-two thousand five hundred
    (62,500) bytes.

    Image Resolution:
    300 by 300 pixels.

    Image Color Depth:
    24-bit color or 8-bit color or 8-bit grayscale. [Note: Monochrome
    images (2-bit color depth) will not be accepted.]

    I have my scanned jpg photo and know adobe photoshop6 well .
    I am confused about the rule .
    Can some one tell me what to change
    in photoshop ..image->image size

    Hope you understand my question .Please help .
    Thank You .

    why, Nov 10, 2004

  2. (why) writes:
    > I want to apply for dvlottary
    > http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants_types_diversity3.html#changed
    >
    > Accourding to that website

    > Image Resolution:
    > There are two acceptable new digital image resolutions:
    >
    > 320 pixels high by 240 pixels wide.
    > 240 pixels high by 320 pixels wide.

    > I have my scanned jpg photo and know adobe photoshop6 well .
    > I am confused about the rule .
    > Can some one tell me what to change
    > in photoshop ..image->image size
    >
    > Hope you understand my question .Please help .
    > Thank You .

    Pull your scanned image into Photoshop.
    If necessary crop to make sure its aspect ratio is 4:3.
    To crop, use the Rectangular Marquee Tool (/not/ the Cropping Tool),
    select Style: Fixed Aspect Ratio and enter Width: 3 and Height: 4.
    (assuming that your portrait is in portrait format :).

    Then open the Image->Image Size ... dialogue, and enter the following:

    - Check "Resample Image" and select "Bicubic".
    - For Pixels Dimensions, enter:
    Width: 240
    Height: 320
    - Ignore the "Document Size" subdialogue!
    - Click OK
    - Save as a copy.

    When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?

    Gisle Hannemyr, Nov 10, 2004