    missing.

    So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
    digital pictures?

    Newbie, Sep 18, 2006

  2. Newbie

    Guest

    Newbie wrote:
    > I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
    > have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
    > each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
    > say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
    > missing.
    >
    > So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
    > digital pictures?

    I use iPhoto to import my pictures from my camera and view them. I see
    a set of thumbnails of the pictures I have imported so far, and can
    expand any of them to view them in more detail. I can also export
    pictures to email from iPhoto, adjusting the size in the process.

    You might give it a try; if you don't like it then you can stop using
    it.

    --- Brian

    , Sep 18, 2006

  3. Newbie

    Jon Guest

    Newbie <> wrote:

    > I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
    > have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
    > each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
    > say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
    > missing.
    >
    > So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
    > digital pictures?

    For simply viewing images directly from the camera or in a separate
    folder, Preview is OK. If you get a lot of pictures, iPhoto will store
    them for you in a way that lets you navigate them easily. And the
    learning threshold is very low - have no fear. The only thing you should
    not do, is to use iPhoto and then not let it "do its thing", i.e., try
    to overrule it re the way it stores things. Let it do its job, and you
    can do yours - take the pics, view them and use them. :)

    BTW: If you really do not want to use iPhoto and want it to stop opening
    (or want Preview to start instead), what you need to do is find the
    little utility app called Image Capture, open it, go to Preferences and
    change the default image viewer app.

    BTW 2: Imavge Capture is good to use if you want to import images
    manually from a camera or memory card, as it lets you select which
    images to import and then skip the rest. iPhoto will always take the lot
    and then you have to delete the superfluous ones later.
    --
    /Jon
    For contact info, run the following in Terminal:

    Jon, Sep 18, 2006
  4. Jon wrote:
    > Newbie <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
    >> have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
    >> each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
    >> say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
    >> missing.
    >>
    >> So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
    >> digital pictures?

    > For simply viewing images directly from the camera or in a separate
    > folder, Preview is OK. If you get a lot of pictures, iPhoto will store
    > them for you in a way that lets you navigate them easily. And the
    > learning threshold is very low - have no fear. The only thing you should
    > not do, is to use iPhoto and then not let it "do its thing", i.e., try
    > to overrule it re the way it stores things. Let it do its job, and you
    > can do yours - take the pics, view them and use them. :)
    >
    > BTW: If you really do not want to use iPhoto and want it to stop opening
    > (or want Preview to start instead), what you need to do is find the
    > little utility app called Image Capture, open it, go to Preferences and
    > change the default image viewer app.
    >
    > BTW 2: Imavge Capture is good to use if you want to import images
    > manually from a camera or memory card, as it lets you select which
    > images to import and then skip the rest. iPhoto will always take the lot
    > and then you have to delete the superfluous ones later.

    Yes to all the above. But if you think you're into photography for the
    long haul, you might be wise to buy a copy of Photoshop Elements, use
    Image Capture to download into folders, and then view and modify them in
    Elements. If you get seriously into it down the road, you'll want to
    upgrade to the full Photoshop. Both Elements and the full version are
    available for trials of 30 days.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 18, 2006
  5. Newbie

    Sn!pe Guest

    John McWilliams <> wrote:

    > Jon wrote:
    > > Newbie <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
    > >> have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
    > >> each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
    > >> say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
    > >> missing.
    > >>
    > >> So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
    > >> digital pictures?

    > > For simply viewing images directly from the camera or in a separate
    > > folder, Preview is OK. If you get a lot of pictures, iPhoto will store
    > > them for you in a way that lets you navigate them easily. And the
    > > learning threshold is very low - have no fear. The only thing you should
    > > not do, is to use iPhoto and then not let it "do its thing", i.e., try
    > > to overrule it re the way it stores things. Let it do its job, and you
    > > can do yours - take the pics, view them and use them. :)
    > >
    > > BTW: If you really do not want to use iPhoto and want it to stop opening
    > > (or want Preview to start instead), what you need to do is find the
    > > little utility app called Image Capture, open it, go to Preferences and
    > > change the default image viewer app.
    > >
    > > BTW 2: Imavge Capture is good to use if you want to import images
    > > manually from a camera or memory card, as it lets you select which
    > > images to import and then skip the rest. iPhoto will always take the lot
    > > and then you have to delete the superfluous ones later.

    > Yes to all the above. But if you think you're into photography for the
    > long haul, you might be wise to buy a copy of Photoshop Elements, use
    > Image Capture to download into folders, and then view and modify them in
    > Elements. If you get seriously into it down the road, you'll want to
    > upgrade to the full Photoshop. Both Elements and the full version are
    > available for trials of 30 days.

    The Gimp is good if you don't mind using X11, and it's free.
    <http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/>

    --
    ^Ï^

    Sn!pe, Sep 18, 2006
  6. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Jon:
    > > For simply viewing images directly from the camera or in a separate
    > > folder, Preview is OK. If you get a lot of pictures, iPhoto will store
    > > them for you in a way that lets you navigate them easily. And the
    > > learning threshold is very low - have no fear. The only thing you should
    > > not do, is to use iPhoto and then not let it "do its thing", i.e., try
    > > to overrule it re the way it stores things. Let it do its job, and you
    > > can do yours - take the pics, view them and use them. :)
    > >
    > > BTW: If you really do not want to use iPhoto and want it to stop opening
    > > (or want Preview to start instead), what you need to do is find the
    > > little utility app called Image Capture, open it, go to Preferences and
    > > change the default image viewer app.
    > >
    > > BTW 2: Imavge Capture is good to use if you want to import images
    > > manually from a camera or memory card, as it lets you select which
    > > images to import and then skip the rest. iPhoto will always take the lot
    > > and then you have to delete the superfluous ones later.

    John McWilliams:
    > Yes to all the above. But if you think you're into photography for the
    > long haul, you might be wise to buy a copy of Photoshop Elements, use
    > Image Capture to download into folders, and then view and modify them in
    > Elements. If you get seriously into it down the road, you'll want to
    > upgrade to the full Photoshop. Both Elements and the full version are
    > available for trials of 30 days.

    I am so new at this that at present I am not sure if I would want to
    get serious enough to buy Photoshop etc. It is nt exaclt cheap, so let
    that evolve naturally. What I want as a beginner right now is to get
    into good habits.

    What I have been doing is, connect the camera to the computer, a folder
    appears and I copy its contents. I select them all, double-click, and
    they appear in Preview. I can choose a slide show if wish. (I do have
    to organize the folders myself, but so far it is not a big burden, and
    I like to rename/regroup them thematically anyway.)

    What I am curious about is, would it be a better habit to start using
    either iPhoto or Image Capture as suggested above? (I checked IC and it
    offers to crop or fit every picture to a certain size; is that a good
    idea?)

    One last question: My photos are slightly under 1MB. Would it be a good
    idea to reduc etheir size somewhat before emailing? If so, by how much,
    and which (free) app does one use?

    Newbie, Sep 18, 2006
  7. Newbie

    Guest

    If all you want to do is view a few photos, Preview is fine.

    iPhoto is used to organize your photos, and to do some basic
    adjustments to color, brightness, cropping, size etc. It's pretty easy
    to use and is extremely helpful for keeping your photos organized.

    Regarding photos you're going to email, most folks would be very
    annoyed to get huge, 1 MB photos by email. It's simply not necessary to
    send a file that big, unless they are going to print them and want the
    highest-possible quality file.

    If you open a photo in iPhoto, then select File > Export, you can tell
    iPhoto to export the photo as a JPEG with a size of, say, 800 x 600,
    and you'll end up with a file that's maybe 200k (give or take) and it
    will be perfectly good for viewing onscreen.

    James

    , Sep 18, 2006
  8. In article <180920061140506692%>, Newbie <>
    wrote:

    > hat I have been doing is, connect the camera to the computer, a
    > folder appears and I copy its contents. I select them all,
    > double-click, and they appear in Preview. I can choose a slide show
    > if wish. (I do have to organize the folders myself, but so far it is
    > not a big burden, and I like to rename/regroup them thematically
    > anyway.)
    >
    > What I am curious about is, would it be a better habit to start using
    > either iPhoto or Image Capture as suggested above? (I checked IC and
    > it offers to crop or fit every picture to a certain size; is that a
    > good idea?)

    If you're going to copy all the pictures to the computer; the select-all
    and drag method is just fine. If you want to import just some of them,
    then use image capture or iPhoto to preview them, and import those that
    you want. Use Image Capture for that if you don't want to use iPhoto to
    edit or organize them.

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 18, 2006
  9. Newbie

    Jon Guest

    Newbie <> wrote:

    > One last question: My photos are slightly under 1MB. Would it be a good
    > idea to reduc etheir size somewhat before emailing? If so, by how much,
    > and which (free) app does one use?

    Yes, definitely.
    And that's one of the things iPhoto is brilliant at! :)

    Jon, Sep 18, 2006
  10. Newbie

    Jon Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Regarding photos you're going to email, most folks would be very
    > annoyed to get huge, 1 MB photos by email. It's simply not necessary to
    > send a file that big, unless they are going to print them and want the
    > highest-possible quality file.
    >
    > If you open a photo in iPhoto,

    <snip>

    Much easier to select the photo(s) you want to mail in iPhoto, then
    click its "Mail" button and select the pic size in the drop-down menu
    (it also tells you the total for all the pix you are mailing so you can
    adjust). After that, the images appear ready to go in a Mail message.
    Just add adddress and text, and off it goes.

    Jon, Sep 18, 2006
  11. lid (Jon) writes:

    > Newbie <> wrote:
    >
    > > One last question: My photos are slightly under 1MB. Would it be a good
    > > idea to reduc etheir size somewhat before emailing? If so, by how much,
    > > and which (free) app does one use?

    > Yes, definitely.
    > And that's one of the things iPhoto is brilliant at! :)

    Another simple thing it usually does very well (which you can't do in
    preview, and which PhotoShop is overkill for) is the red-eye
    adjustment.

    Doug Anderson, Sep 18, 2006
  12. Newbie

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <180920060716546493%>, Newbie <>
    wrote:

    > I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
    > have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
    > each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
    > say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
    > missing.
    >
    > So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
    > digital pictures?

    iPhoto is very useful software. Besides viewing photos, share them in
    different ways, edit them, and catalog them. If you're using iLife '06,
    you can also share your photos via a web site.

    For information about iPhoto, just check out Apple's web site at
    http://www.apple.com where you can find extensive information. You can
    also check the seminars section of Apple's web site to see if Apple or a
    reseller is offering a free iPhoto or iLife workshop in your area.

    Stan Horwitz, Sep 18, 2006
  13. Newbie

    Guest

    lid (Jon) writes:
    > Newbie <> wrote:

    > > One last question: My photos are slightly under 1MB. Would it be a good
    > > idea to reduc etheir size somewhat before emailing? If so, by how much,
    > > and which (free) app does one use?

    > Yes, definitely.
    > And that's one of the things iPhoto is brilliant at! :)

    Apple's Mail.app does it built-in, too.

    Just start a new message, "attach" the photo, and note
    the little pop-up in the bottom right corner of the message -
    lets you choose picture size (s, m, lg, original)

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

    , Sep 18, 2006
  14. Newbie

    Jon Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Apple's Mail.app does it built-in, too.
    >
    > Just start a new message, "attach" the photo, and note
    > the little pop-up in the bottom right corner of the message -
    > lets you choose picture size (s, m, lg, original)

    True. I tend to forget that, as I mostly do it the other way (from
    iPhoto). Thanks.

    Jon, Sep 19, 2006
  15. Newbie

    Stewy Guest

    In article <1hlv9jx.2tbqx443pheN%>,
    lid (Jon) wrote:

    > Newbie <> wrote:
    >
    > > I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
    > > have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
    > > each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
    > > say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
    > > missing.
    > >
    > > So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
    > > digital pictures?

    > For simply viewing images directly from the camera or in a separate
    > folder, Preview is OK. If you get a lot of pictures, iPhoto will store
    > them for you in a way that lets you navigate them easily. And the
    > learning threshold is very low - have no fear. The only thing you should
    > not do, is to use iPhoto and then not let it "do its thing", i.e., try
    > to overrule it re the way it stores things. Let it do its job, and you
    > can do yours - take the pics, view them and use them. :)
    >
    > BTW: If you really do not want to use iPhoto and want it to stop opening
    > (or want Preview to start instead), what you need to do is find the
    > little utility app called Image Capture, open it, go to Preferences and
    > change the default image viewer app.
    >
    > BTW 2: Imavge Capture is good to use if you want to import images
    > manually from a camera or memory card, as it lets you select which
    > images to import and then skip the rest. iPhoto will always take the lot
    > and then you have to delete the superfluous ones later.

    To make iPhoto stop opening on plugging in the camera go to iPhoto
    preferences.

    Preview is the default viewer for opening jpegs etc. If you want to
    change that, single click on any jpeg, or TIFF etc then Command + i (get
    info) Look for <Open with> and choose from the list, then click <Make
    default>
    For movies, Quicktime is a load of s***, get VLC media player - it's
    free.

    iPhoto 2 is the free version and not much use except for putting on a
    desktop slideshow - I'm using 140 slides of sunsets with a random
    picture change every 5 seconds. Get iLife if you really want to take
    full advantage of iPhoto.

    Stewy, Sep 19, 2006
  16. Newbie

    cjcampbell Guest

    Newbie wrote:
    > I just started with a digital camera. My computer is a Mac. So far, I
    > have viewed the JPEG photos with Preview. It seems to work fine, but
    > each time I download pictures, my computer wants to open iPhoto; I just
    > say no, but being unfamiliar with iPhoto I also don't know what I am
    > missing.
    >
    > So, is it worth learning iPhoto or is Preview good enough for viewing
    > digital pictures?

    iPhoto is very nice, but it has some drawbacks, not least of which is
    the tendency to create many copies of the same picture -- one for each
    time you edit it. On the other hand, iPhoto does allow you to revert
    back to the original at any time -- a feature that Windows will not
    have (actually, Windows does not have a photo manager like iPhoto)
    until Vista is released.

    I would say that it is worth learning to use iPhoto from the beginning.
    Later, if you decide to switch to some other photo editor/manager with
    more capability, most will simply import your iPhoto library.

    cjcampbell, Sep 19, 2006
  17. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Stewy <> wrote:

    : For movies, Quicktime is a load of s***, get VLC media player

    Thanks. Where do I set that movies should automatically open
    with VLC then?

    : iPhoto 2 is the free version and not much use except for putting on a
    : desktop slideshow ... Get iLife if you really want to take
    : full advantage of iPhoto.

    You mean the iPhoto included in iLife is different from the one that
    comes with OSX?

    Newbie, Sep 19, 2006
  18. Newbie

    SpannMan Guest

    > One last question: My photos are slightly under 1MB. Would it be a good
    > idea to reduc etheir size somewhat before emailing? If so, by how much,
    > and which (free) app does one use?

    You may wish to consider using PicasaWeb. http://picasaweb.google.com
    is the URL. This is a web enabled location for photographs, hosted by
    Google. They recently published a utility which hooks into iPhoto which
    allows one to publish photos up to the PicasaWeb service directly from
    the iPhoto application. You receive 250MB free storage. $25 / years get
    one an additional 6GB!

    Picasa is a Windows based application which is similiar in features to
    iPhoto.

    SpannMan, Sep 19, 2006
  19. Newbie

    Jon Guest

    Stewy <> wrote:

    > To make iPhoto stop opening on plugging in the camera go to iPhoto
    > preferences.

    No, as has been pointed out eslewhere in this thread, the relevant
    setting is found in the Image Capture application.

    Jon, Sep 19, 2006
  20. Newbie

    Jon Guest

    Newbie <> wrote:

    > You mean the iPhoto included in iLife is different from the one that
    > comes with OSX?

    No iPhoto comes for free with OS X (retail) any more. The latest
    available version comes with new Macs, but are not upgradeable.

    If you want a newer version than the one on your Mac, you need to get
    the latest version of iLife.

    Jon, Sep 19, 2006