    http://www.basic-digital-photography.com

    Best Regards,
    Gary Hendricks
    Gary Hendricks, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Gary Hendricks wrote:
    > The so-called digital zoom marketed by most digital camera
    > manufacturers is one big gimmick. Don't be fooled by it. You see,
    > digital zoom simply performs an in-image crop to give a 'zoom' effect.
    > However, in doing this, the image quality will definitely suffer. I
    > never use digital zoom in shooting my digital photos.
    >
    > For more information, visit my website at:
    > http://www.basic-digital-photography.com
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Gary Hendricks

    There are a few conditions where digital zoom is useful - in particular
    where JPEG compression in involved the zoomed image will suffer less from
    the compression than an unzoomed one. You may also get better exposure or
    focus.

    I use digital zoom rather infrequently, but not "never".

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Gary Hendricks

    bob Guest

    (Gary Hendricks) wrote in

    > The so-called digital zoom marketed by most digital camera
    > manufacturers is one big gimmick. Don't be fooled by it. You see,
    > digital zoom simply performs an in-image crop to give a 'zoom' effect.

    Have you tested it with your camera? I found that with my camera that
    certain types of photos are better off with digital zoom than with cropping
    and resampling in photoshop. The differences were rather subtle though. In
    most cases it probably doesn't make any visable difference in the final
    printed image. (With my camera).

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
    bob, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Gary Hendricks

    Guest

    In message <>,
    "David J Taylor" <> wrote:

    >There are a few conditions where digital zoom is useful - in particular
    >where JPEG compression in involved the zoomed image will suffer less from
    >the compression than an unzoomed one. You may also get better exposure or
    >focus.
    >
    >I use digital zoom rather infrequently, but not "never".

    If it weren't for the camera manufacturer's obsession with a small set
    of standardized image sizes, digital zoom could just be an
    un-interpolated crop, which benefits from zooming in on the LCD or EVF.
    There would be no drawback if it were used, because nothing would be
    lost, except the wider field of view, which the operator has already
    decided is worthless.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Dec 4, 2004
  5. wrote in news:eek::

    > If it weren't for the camera manufacturer's obsession with a small set
    > of standardized image sizes, digital zoom could just be an
    > un-interpolated crop, which benefits from zooming in on the LCD or EVF.
    > There would be no drawback if it were used, because nothing would be
    > lost, except the wider field of view, which the operator has already
    > decided is worthless.

    Yepp - I would like that functionality. It is useful.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Dec 4, 2004
  6. Gary Hendricks

    Don Wiss Guest

    (Gary Hendricks) wrote:

    >The so-called digital zoom marketed by most digital camera
    >manufacturers is one big gimmick. Don't be fooled by it. You see,
    >digital zoom simply performs an in-image crop to give a 'zoom' effect.
    >However, in doing this, the image quality will definitely suffer. I
    >never use digital zoom in shooting my digital photos.

    You can't say never. It depends on what image size you are shooting at and
    the maximum image size of the camera. If you are shooting at VGA size
    (sometimes called TV size) digital zoom is simply cropping the higher image
    size and no quality is lost.

    If you only put pictures on the web, and never print them, there isn't much
    point in shooting a large image, only to have to reduce it before putting
    on the web.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
    Don Wiss, Dec 4, 2004
  7. Gary Hendricks

    Tony Guest

    Re: Digital Tip #1: spam is bad, Avoid it

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Dec 5, 2004