    Any sites that might explain how to do this as well or sites with good
    examples?

    thanks.

    Core, May 5, 2004

  2. Core

    Sorby Guest

    "Core" <> wrote in message
    news:3k9mc.27220$...
    > Trying to take some nice studio-like photographs of people indoors using

    my
    > Canon G2.
    >
    > Do I need to set up special lighting or specific camera settings to make
    > them look good?

    I'm no expert and don't have any special lighting kit (apart from my
    Speedlite 550EX) but I usually use natural daylight wherever possible. A
    window can provide lovely directional light and this can even be diffused
    with a thin sheet of net-curtain or see-thru material.

    When using this method it is (usually) important to bounce some light onto
    the shadowed side of the sitter's face - using a dedicated silver, white or
    gold reflector or a home-made one (I sometimes use a large sheet of
    polystyrene or a large sheet of white card).

    If you also use the camera's flash-gun (or a hot-shoe mounted gun) then it's
    best to use it subtly or it will overpower the window light.

    It helps if you have a nice neutral background - and preferably one that is
    far enough behind the sitter that it is easly rendered out-of-focus.

    I'd also recommend mounting your G2 on a tripod and investing in a remote
    switch - or the delayed shutter timer feature on your camera - so that you
    don't introduce unwanted blur/movement to the subject.

    If you can arrange your sitter so that he/she gets a natural catchlight in
    the eyes from the window then that's ideal so long as it doesn't restrict
    your posing options - but you may get a catchlight from the reflector or the
    on-camera flash anyway. If not then introduce yet another reflector or in a
    suitable position.

    A lot of close-up fashion/beauty portraits are done using a Tri-flector - a
    3-panelled reflector that can be arranged close to the sitter's face. I made
    my own out of cardboard covered in alu-foil on one side and painted white on
    the other.

    If you're short of help to hold reflectors etc then invest in some stands &
    clamps (or make your own). It'll save you lots of time & frustration.

    Hope the above is of some use.

    --
    Sorby

    Sorby, May 5, 2004

  3. Core

    Frank ess Guest

    Sorby wrote:
    > "Core" <> wrote in message
    >> Trying to take some nice studio-like photographs of people indoors
    >> using my Canon G2.
    >>
    >> Do I need to set up special lighting or specific camera settings to
    >> make them look good?

    > I'm no expert and don't have any special lighting kit (apart from my
    > Speedlite 550EX) but I usually use natural daylight wherever
    > possible. A window can provide lovely directional light and this can
    > even be diffused with a thin sheet of net-curtain or see-thru
    > material.
    >
    > When using this method it is (usually) important to bounce some light
    > onto the shadowed side of the sitter's face - using a dedicated
    > silver, white or gold reflector or a home-made one (I sometimes use a
    > large sheet of polystyrene or a large sheet of white card).
    >
    > If you also use the camera's flash-gun (or a hot-shoe mounted gun)
    > then it's best to use it subtly or it will overpower the window light.
    >
    > It helps if you have a nice neutral background - and preferably one
    > that is far enough behind the sitter that it is easly rendered
    > out-of-focus.
    >
    > I'd also recommend mounting your G2 on a tripod and investing in a
    > remote switch - or the delayed shutter timer feature on your camera -
    > so that you don't introduce unwanted blur/movement to the subject.
    >
    > If you can arrange your sitter so that he/she gets a natural
    > catchlight in the eyes from the window then that's ideal so long as
    > it doesn't restrict your posing options - but you may get a
    > catchlight from the reflector or the on-camera flash anyway. If not
    > then introduce yet another reflector or in a suitable position.
    >
    > A lot of close-up fashion/beauty portraits are done using a
    > Tri-flector - a 3-panelled reflector that can be arranged close to
    > the sitter's face. I made my own out of cardboard covered in alu-foil
    > on one side and painted white on the other.
    >
    > If you're short of help to hold reflectors etc then invest in some
    > stands & clamps (or make your own). It'll save you lots of time &
    > frustration.
    >
    > Hope the above is of some use.

    I'm sure it will be, Sorby. Nice summary.

    I'd only add: Flat is not always good, nor always bad. Certain faces
    *need* to have shadowless lighting, which isn't easy, but usually
    worthwhile.

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, May 5, 2004