Digital photo storage while on safari

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Burt Johnson, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Burt Johnson

    Burt Johnson Guest

    We will be camping in South Africa for 3 weeks in September. My wife
    has a Canon 10D, which she loves. She will probably be shooting 200+
    pictures per day on the trip, knowing her.

    I really would prefer not to take along a laptop. Bulky, easy to break,
    and power hungry. We will be 3 or 4 days at a time with no access to
    electricity other than possibly the jeep battery.

    I've seen a $500 device intended to offload CompactFlash onto a hard
    disk, with a small display to review the images. Not sure I want to
    spend that much on something that will be used once a year, and the
    review I read recently panned it anyway.

    I saw a $100 device recently that will turn an iPod into a photo storage
    device. Unfortunately, it only works with the latest generation iPod,
    and I have an older one (which I love). This is a possibility, as we
    might swap with my sister-in-law during the trip (she has a newer iPod).

    Does anyone have any experience with either of these solutions? Or any
    other? What do you recommend for a lengthy trip where unloading to the
    computer daily is not feasible (and we don't want to buy 20 CF's
    either...)

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.

    Burt Johnson, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Burt Johnson wrote:
    > We will be camping in South Africa for 3 weeks in September. My wife
    > has a Canon 10D, which she loves. She will probably be shooting 200+
    > pictures per day on the trip, knowing her.
    >
    > I really would prefer not to take along a laptop. Bulky, easy to
    > break, and power hungry. We will be 3 or 4 days at a time with no
    > access to electricity other than possibly the jeep battery.
    >
    > I've seen a $500 device intended to offload CompactFlash onto a hard
    > disk, with a small display to review the images. Not sure I want to
    > spend that much on something that will be used once a year, and the
    > review I read recently panned it anyway.
    >
    > I saw a $100 device recently that will turn an iPod into a photo
    > storage device. Unfortunately, it only works with the latest
    > generation iPod, and I have an older one (which I love). This is a
    > possibility, as we might swap with my sister-in-law during the trip
    > (she has a newer iPod).
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with either of these solutions? Or
    > any other? What do you recommend for a lengthy trip where unloading
    > to the computer daily is not feasible (and we don't want to buy 20
    > CF's either...)

    All my normal suggestions are not going to work for you. While I think
    that a little more selective shooting and a rigorous editing every evening
    is in order and a good idea anyway, I don't think it is going to do it for
    you.

    More storage cards or a micro drive like:

    http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ibmmicrodrives.html

    Might be the best idea.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Burt Johnson

    Robertwgross Guest

    Burt wrote:
    >We will be camping in South Africa for 3 weeks in September. My wife
    >has a Canon 10D, which she loves. She will probably be shooting 200+
    >pictures per day on the trip, knowing her.
    >I really would prefer not to take along a laptop. Bulky, easy to break,
    >and power hungry. We will be 3 or 4 days at a time with no access to
    >electricity other than possibly the jeep battery.
    >I've seen a $500 device intended to offload CompactFlash onto a hard
    >disk, with a small display to review the images. Not sure I want to
    >spend that much on something that will be used once a year, and the
    >review I read recently panned it anyway.
    >I saw a $100 device recently that will turn an iPod into a photo storage
    >device. Unfortunately, it only works with the latest generation iPod,
    >and I have an older one (which I love). This is a possibility, as we
    >might swap with my sister-in-law during the trip (she has a newer iPod).
    >Does anyone have any experience with either of these solutions? Or any
    >other? What do you recommend for a lengthy trip where unloading to the
    >computer daily is not feasible (and we don't want to buy 20 CF's
    >either...)

    What you want is called a portable storage drive. Some have a display and use
    more battery power, and some have no display and use less battery power. In
    either case, inside it is a laptop-style hard disk drive.

    There are several manufacturers, Flashtrax and Vosonics come to mind. Vosonics
    sells theirs with different labels on the case. I have one solution that was
    less than $140. It is just what you need when you need to be portable, and
    maybe you only have internal battery power, or maybe a little 12VDC from a
    vehicle.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Jun 27, 2004
  4. Burt Johnson

    Ron G Guest

    My suggestion, failing a decision to buy an external storage device,
    would be to pick up a couple of extra cards and then get very
    disciplined about the resolution at which you are shooting. What I do on
    these foreign trips is try to make a determination of what I am going to
    do with my photos. For web stuff and 4x6's I reduce resolution
    significantly, saving the high settings for those larger prints. With
    good software tools at home you can generally make up for some loss of
    resolution. Oh, and shooting at lower resolution now and then reduces
    power consumption. Having a good power supply is generally more
    important to me than being able to blow my camera's brains out with top
    resolution photos. When I am doing an out of the way domestic trip I
    bring along a very small Sony subnote. Its batteries run about 90
    minutes, giving me plenty of time to offload photos, and even back them
    up to an extra card reader or my MP3 player, which has a hard drive. In
    a pinch I can recharge it off car batteries. Just my opinion.

    Ron G, Jun 27, 2004
  5. Burt Johnson

    werewolf Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message news:<oTmDc.164604$>...
    > Burt Johnson wrote:
    > > We will be camping in South Africa for 3 weeks in September. My wife
    > > has a Canon 10D, which she loves. She will probably be shooting 200+
    > > pictures per day on the trip, knowing her.
    > >
    > > I really would prefer not to take along a laptop. Bulky, easy to
    > > break, and power hungry. We will be 3 or 4 days at a time with no
    > > access to electricity other than possibly the jeep battery.
    > >
    > > I've seen a $500 device intended to offload CompactFlash onto a hard
    > > disk, with a small display to review the images. Not sure I want to
    > > spend that much on something that will be used once a year, and the
    > > review I read recently panned it anyway.
    > >
    > > I saw a $100 device recently that will turn an iPod into a photo
    > > storage device. Unfortunately, it only works with the latest
    > > generation iPod, and I have an older one (which I love). This is a
    > > possibility, as we might swap with my sister-in-law during the trip
    > > (she has a newer iPod).
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any experience with either of these solutions? Or
    > > any other? What do you recommend for a lengthy trip where unloading
    > > to the computer daily is not feasible (and we don't want to buy 20
    > > CF's either...)

    > All my normal suggestions are not going to work for you. While I think
    > that a little more selective shooting and a rigorous editing every evening
    > is in order and a good idea anyway, I don't think it is going to do it for
    > you.
    >
    > More storage cards or a micro drive like:
    >
    > http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ibmmicrodrives.html
    >
    > Might be the best idea.

    Take your storage cards, shine them up real good, then stick them up your candy ass!

    werewolf, Jun 27, 2004
  6. Burt Johnson

    Ned Guest

    I use and would recommend the Apacer Disc Steno CP100. Cost in the UK
    about 160GBP supplied with big Li-Ion rechargeable battery, power
    adaptor and 12 volt lead for car power socket.

    Copies to CD ROM and accepts most memory cards except Xd. No display
    but not let me down yet!

    Ned

    (Burt Johnson) wrote

    Ned, Jun 27, 2004
  7. "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    []
    > > Does anyone have any experience with either of these solutions? Or
    > > any other? What do you recommend for a lengthy trip where unloading
    > > to the computer daily is not feasible (and we don't want to buy 20
    > > CF's either...)

    > All my normal suggestions are not going to work for you. While I

    think
    > that a little more selective shooting and a rigorous editing every

    evening
    > is in order and a good idea anyway, I don't think it is going to do it

    for
    > you.

    []
    > Joseph E. Meehan

    There seems to be an untapped market for renting CF cards for events such
    as this!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 27, 2004
  8. Take a look a www.vosonic.com

    They have a range of portable storage devices.

    I have a XS Drive II VP 2060. The device is cheap (got it for something like
    85 US $). Then you put a laptop harddrive inside it (or you can buy it with
    the device). You don't have a viewing screen but personally, I don't care, I
    think it's a pricey gadget.

    Once you're back home, you plug it to you PC or Mac via USB 2 and it's a
    multi card reader and an external harddrive.

    The autonomy on batteries is something like 1.5 hours, enough to upload
    plenty of memory cards.

    One restriction : the device is a harddrive, so it's better not to shake it
    while transfering. (Don't imagine you will transfer your data while
    travelling in a jeep on a safari...)

    I own the device for 4 months, tried it in many situations and it always
    worked great:

    - I went to Ski-Lanka (many visits and safaris, hot weather) and it worked
    perfectly.
    - I climbed some mountains with it and went skiing (I live in Switzerland) :
    no problem.

    So my advice is : get yourself such a device !

    Second advice : DON'T get a microdrive instead. I have one and my experience
    is the following :

    - They don't work when the weather is too hot (had numerous problems with it
    in Sri-Lanka, so as you're talking of safaris, be careful...)

    - They eat a lot of batteries.

    - They don't work above an altitude of 3000 m (perhaps it's not a problem
    for you, it definitely is one for me)

    Third advice : don't take very big memory cards, but take many smaller ones
    (not too small). If you have only one 2 or 4 Gb card and if it fails during
    a safari, you will be in great trouble... It's the old story of not putting
    all the eggs into the same basket...

    Greetings.

    Pierre.

    Pierre Gilles, Jun 27, 2004
  9. Burt Johnson

    Tom Scales Guest

    The problem is that is is not really USB2. It's USB1.1 with a small speed
    improvement. It works, but I wanted to use it as a backup drive for my PC
    too, and it is useless for that. When challenged, they said it was USB2
    "compatible" (as everything USB1.1 is).

    Tom
    "Pierre Gilles" <> wrote in message
    > Take a look a www.vosonic.com
    >
    > They have a range of portable storage devices.
    >
    > I have a XS Drive II VP 2060. The device is cheap (got it for something

    like
    > 85 US $). Then you put a laptop harddrive inside it (or you can buy it

    with
    > the device). You don't have a viewing screen but personally, I don't care,

    > think it's a pricey gadget.
    >
    > Once you're back home, you plug it to you PC or Mac via USB 2 and it's a
    > multi card reader and an external harddrive.

    <snip>

    Tom Scales, Jun 27, 2004
  10. Burt Johnson

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    Ned <> wrote:
    >I use and would recommend the Apacer Disc Steno CP100. Cost in the UK
    >about 160GBP supplied with big Li-Ion rechargeable battery, power
    >adaptor and 12 volt lead for car power socket.
    >
    >Copies to CD ROM and accepts most memory cards except Xd. No display
    >but not let me down yet!
    >
    >Ned

    Burn duplicate CDs and mail them home, seperatly, or at least pack them
    in seperate bags.

    >(Burt Johnson) wrote
    >> We will be camping in South Africa for 3 weeks in September. My wife
    >> has a Canon 10D, which she loves. She will probably be shooting 200+
    >> pictures per day on the trip, knowing her.
    >>
    >> I really would prefer not to take along a laptop. Bulky, easy to break,
    >> and power hungry. We will be 3 or 4 days at a time with no access to
    >> electricity other than possibly the jeep battery.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------
    adykes at p a n i x . c o m

    Al Dykes, Jun 27, 2004
  11. Burt Johnson

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <40de8805$>,
    Pierre Gilles <> wrote:
    >Take a look a www.vosonic.com
    >
    >They have a range of portable storage devices.
    >
    >I have a XS Drive II VP 2060. The device is cheap (got it for something like
    >85 US $). Then you put a laptop harddrive inside it (or you can buy it with
    >the device). You don't have a viewing screen but personally, I don't care, I
    >think it's a pricey gadget.
    >
    >Once you're back home, you plug it to you PC or Mac via USB 2 and it's a
    >multi card reader and an external harddrive.
    >
    >The autonomy on batteries is something like 1.5 hours, enough to upload
    >plenty of memory cards.
    >
    >One restriction : the device is a harddrive, so it's better not to shake it
    >while transfering. (Don't imagine you will transfer your data while
    >travelling in a jeep on a safari...)

    The manufacturer's spec sheet on modern hard drives shows that they
    are rated for 100G or more, when not operating. Other parts of the
    gadget will break first (and absorb the impact) if you drop it onto
    bare rock.

    Al Dykes, Jun 27, 2004

  12. > >One restriction : the device is a harddrive, so it's better not to shake

    it
    > >while transfering. (Don't imagine you will transfer your data while
    > >travelling in a jeep on a safari...)
    > >

    > The manufacturer's spec sheet on modern hard drives shows that they
    > are rated for 100G or more, when not operating. Other parts of the
    > gadget will break first (and absorb the impact) if you drop it onto
    > bare rock.

    That's exactly what I meant : you can travel with it, but you can't transfer
    data into it while shaking it in a jeep.

    PG.

    Pierre Gilles, Jun 27, 2004
  13. "Tom Scales" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > The problem is that is is not really USB2. It's USB1.1 with a small speed
    > improvement. It works, but I wanted to use it as a backup drive for my PC
    > too, and it is useless for that. When challenged, they said it was USB2
    > "compatible" (as everything USB1.1 is).

    Relative problem. Transfer speed is circa 4 mBytes / sec, compared to USB
    1.1 max 1,5 Mbytes / sec. Still, it's faster than most CF cards, than a USB
    1.1. diretct connexion to the camera, than a USB2 Zip 750 drive, than a Jazz
    drive, etc...

    PG.

    Pierre Gilles, Jun 27, 2004
  14. Burt Johnson

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > []
    >
    >>>Does anyone have any experience with either of these solutions? Or
    >>>any other? What do you recommend for a lengthy trip where unloading
    >>>to the computer daily is not feasible (and we don't want to buy 20
    >>>CF's either...)

    > There seems to be an untapped market for renting CF cards for events such
    > as this!

    Interesting thought, David. I own enough for two week vacations using
    my Canon dSLR. Except for those occasions, I use only one. I imagine I
    am not alone in that.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 27, 2004
  15. Burt Johnson

    jeff swensen Guest

    Burt, just take the laptop...if it weighs too much and isn't durable,
    get one that is...if you're going to travel and photograph, you should
    have the laptop with you...get an external firewire harddrive as
    well...firelite makes some excellent very lightweight models...there are
    all sorts of great backpacks out there with laptop compartments...i know
    travelling with a laptop takes some getting used to, ...but you just
    can't beat it...that delkin or belkin device just won't cut it...get a
    satellite phone as well and you can transmit your photos from the
    farthest reaches of the globe...

    jeff swensen, Jun 27, 2004
  16. Burt Johnson

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Pierre Gilles wrote:

    > Take a look a www.vosonic.com
    >
    > They have a range of portable storage devices.
    >
    > I have a XS Drive II VP 2060. The device is cheap (got it for something like
    > 85 US $). Then you put a laptop harddrive inside it (or you can buy it with
    > the device). You don't have a viewing screen but personally, I don't care, I
    > think it's a pricey gadget.
    >
    > Once you're back home, you plug it to you PC or Mac via USB 2 and it's a
    > multi card reader and an external harddrive.
    >
    > The autonomy on batteries is something like 1.5 hours, enough to upload
    > plenty of memory cards.
    >
    > One restriction : the device is a harddrive, so it's better not to shake it
    > while transfering. (Don't imagine you will transfer your data while
    > travelling in a jeep on a safari...)

    Good idea, so long as he can charge it on safari -- perhaps with an
    adapter to one of the vehicles; I have one but on one trip (no vehicles,
    no lines) I could not recharge it; so now I own two weeks of CF. And I
    do think it is more robust than a microdrive.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 27, 2004
  17. Burt Johnson

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    jeff swensen <> wrote:
    >Burt, just take the laptop...if it weighs too much and isn't durable,
    >get one that is...if you're going to travel and photograph, you should
    >have the laptop with you...get an external firewire harddrive as
    >well...firelite makes some excellent very lightweight models...there are
    >all sorts of great backpacks out there with laptop compartments...i know
    >travelling with a laptop takes some getting used to, ...but you just
    >can't beat it...that delkin or belkin device just won't cut it...get a
    >satellite phone as well and you can transmit your photos from the
    >farthest reaches of the globe...

    I see a laptop as too atractive a theft item, especially since luggage
    in the USA is unlocked these days, and carry-on has it's own
    problems. A laptop is too subject to failure, by some small amount.
    It's all-your-eggs in one basket. A laptop with a CD burner would be
    an improvement. Cutting CDs and sending them home via post seems to be
    the only rock solid thing to do. To some extent it depends on your
    priorities. I discuss this with a friend who's only reason to travel
    is to bring back great photos, at least that's what it seems to me.

    I looked at the smallest Apple MAC that came with a CD burner. It's a
    nery nice system. I know it's light, but for the life of me I can't
    find the weight on their web site. It's 1100 bucks.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    Al Dykes, Jun 27, 2004
  18. Burt Johnson

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > jeff swensen <> wrote:
    >
    >>Burt, just take the laptop...if it weighs too much and isn't durable,
    >>get one that is...if you're going to travel and photograph, you should
    >>have the laptop with you...get an external firewire harddrive as
    >>well...firelite makes some excellent very lightweight models...there are
    >>all sorts of great backpacks out there with laptop compartments...i know
    >>travelling with a laptop takes some getting used to, ...but you just
    >>can't beat it...that delkin or belkin device just won't cut it...get a
    >>satellite phone as well and you can transmit your photos from the
    >>farthest reaches of the globe...
    >>

    > I see a laptop as too atractive a theft item, especially since luggage
    > in the USA is unlocked these days, and carry-on has it's own
    > problems. A laptop is too subject to failure, by some small amount.

    Yes. And I'd worry about the vulnerabilty of the screen -- not needed
    to store images. And more energy required.

    Unless the laptop is needed for another purpose, leave it at home and
    use an XDrive-II or some such.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 27, 2004
  19. "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    []
    > I looked at the smallest Apple MAC that came with a CD burner. It's a
    > nery nice system. I know it's light, but for the life of me I can't
    > find the weight on their web site. It's 1100 bucks.

    You could buy a lot of CF storage for 1100 bucks....and it wouldn't be as
    fragile or attractive to thieves...

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 27, 2004
  20. Burt Johnson

    bagal Guest

    <snipped>

    hmmm here am I sat at the computer thngy tuned into r.p.d and my newest
    digital photo mag is coincidently open at "DynaMO 640 Photo"

    Does it fit the bill? What is the bill?

    OK - try www.fel.fujitsu.com 640 MB disks - it looks battery operated

    will it work? I dunno?

    Does all of this make sense?