    thanks
    dan

    , Nov 25, 2006

  2. Skip Guest

    Skip, Nov 25, 2006

  3. In my experience Canon is still some way behind Epson and, now, HP in terms
    of metamerism (variation in visible colour balance under different
    lighting).

    You probably don't need anything more than an Epson Stylus Photo R2400,
    which can go up to A3+ sheets, or about 12x18 inches and longer with roll
    paper.

    Ian

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    *** Extra 40MB of storage space on DPNow's free photo gallery until the end
    of November, don't miss it while it's there! http://galleries.dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Nov 25, 2006
  4. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    HP PhotoSmart Pro B9180. It produces prints with more detail than anything
    Epson or Canon has.

    Hebee Jeebes, Nov 25, 2006
  5. frederick Guest

    Digital Photography Now wrote:
    > In my experience Canon is still some way behind Epson and, now, HP in terms
    > of metamerism (variation in visible colour balance under different
    > lighting).
    >
    > You probably don't need anything more than an Epson Stylus Photo R2400,
    > which can go up to A3+ sheets, or about 12x18 inches and longer with roll
    > paper.
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > Digital Photography Now
    > http://dpnow.com

    \
    A3+ is 10x13", the A3+ printers will do this borderless.
    The HP B9180 would be a contender too - even though there have been some
    real QC and support issues with HP. IIRC maximum paper length is 44",
    no hardware roll paper support.
    Above the R2400, there's the R3800 17" printer that doesn't have the
    problem of matte/photo black cartridge changes, but IIRC maximum paper
    length it will handle is 37". Above that, the large format Epsons won't
    do small prints (6x4 etc).
    The most interesting (IMO) new printer is the HPZ3100. A 6 head/12
    channel 10+ colour printer, same 200 year DPR as the B9180, gloss
    optimiser like the R1800 - so no gloss differential / bronzing.
    Closed-loop self-calibration (also like the B9180), but this time also
    integrated full spectrophotometer for making ICC profiles on any media.
    They aren't cheap though, and IIRC are available in 24" and 44" model
    sizes only - a little large for my home office.
    A problem that HP face is that the ink isn't as "strong" as Epson,
    probably a compromise needed to get reasonably trouble-free performance
    with pigment ink through thermal head printers. Result is that there
    are issues using the HP B9180 (and probably the Z series - as the same
    inks are used) on third party papers which don't absorb enough ink
    quickly enough, yet were excellent with Epson's pigment printers.
    Problems such as pizza cutter wheel marks, banding, bronzing, poor
    colour from ink pooling around paper surface texture have been observed.
    If the HP printers become popular, then perhaps there will in time be
    more support from third-party paper suppliers.
    I don't think Canon are a real contender yet. Although Luminous
    Landscape has nice things to say about the iPF5000, they seem to act
    like a Canon marketing division at times - that is when they aren't
    acting as Leica's advertising agency. Other reviewers seem to place it
    in the class of Epson's older Ultrachrome printers (not the newer K3 or
    Ultrachrome Gloss), but with better colour from neutral black and extra
    colours.

    frederick, Nov 25, 2006
  6. frederick Guest

    Hebee Jeebes wrote:
    > HP PhotoSmart Pro B9180. It produces prints with more detail than anything
    > Epson or Canon has.

    Incorrect. A nice printer, but it doesn't produce prints with more
    detail than anything Epson or Canon does.

    frederick, Nov 25, 2006
  7. frederick Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > A3+ is 10x13", the A3+ printers will do this borderless.

    Typo:
    That is 19x13"

    frederick, Nov 25, 2006
  8. Skip Guest

    "Digital Photography Now" <> wrote in message
    > In my experience Canon is still some way behind Epson and, now, HP in
    > terms of metamerism (variation in visible colour balance under different
    > lighting).
    >
    > You probably don't need anything more than an Epson Stylus Photo R2400,
    > which can go up to A3+ sheets, or about 12x18 inches and longer with roll
    > paper.
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > Ian

    You need to get out more. The new Canons have different inksets to improve
    their performance. My old S9000 Canon whacks the R2200 all hollow on image
    quality, giving way only on archival quality. I've never seen a print from
    a 2400 that beats the newer Canon s9900, so I'd expect the newer ones to do
    even better. And it prints A3+, too.

    Skip, Nov 26, 2006
  9. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Well, it does for me. Printing the exact same image on both my HP B9180 and
    my Epson R2400 and my Canon i9900 the HP has bare far more image detail. Now
    you maybe blind or you have the hots for Epson or Canon. I have the hots for
    the best print quality and that is the HP.

    Hebee Jeebes, Nov 26, 2006
  10. Skip Guest

    "Hebee Jeebes" <> wrote in message
    > Well, it does for me. Printing the exact same image on both my HP B9180
    > and my Epson R2400 and my Canon i9900 the HP has bare far more image
    > detail. Now you maybe blind or you have the hots for Epson or Canon. I
    > have the hots for the best print quality and that is the HP.

    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    >> Hebee Jeebes wrote:
    >>> HP PhotoSmart Pro B9180. It produces prints with more detail than
    >>> anything Epson or Canon has.
    >>>

    >> Incorrect. A nice printer, but it doesn't produce prints with more detail
    >> than anything Epson or Canon does.

    I love guys who feel they have to insult those who disagree with them. Why
    can't people be civil, anymore?

    Skip, Nov 26, 2006
  11. frederick Guest

    Skip wrote:
    > "Hebee Jeebes" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, it does for me. Printing the exact same image on both my HP B9180
    >> and my Epson R2400 and my Canon i9900 the HP has bare far more image
    >> detail. Now you maybe blind or you have the hots for Epson or Canon. I
    >> have the hots for the best print quality and that is the HP.

    >> "frederick" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Incorrect. A nice printer, but it doesn't produce prints with more detail
    >>> than anything Epson or Canon does.

    > I love guys who feel they have to insult those who disagree with them. Why
    > can't people be civil, anymore?

    Anyone who owns an R2400, a B9180, and an i9900 simultaneously clearly
    has a screw loose somewhere, or is telling big porkies - presumably with
    some kind of axe to grind.
    Anyway, the B9180 doesn't print with more detail but the reality is that
    it's fairly irrelevant - all these printers will resolve something like
    250- 300 lines per inch with dithering patterns invisible to the naked
    eye, and with a colour gamut exceeding any wet colour process.
    HP have suffered major teething problems with the B9180, from paper feed
    issues, pizza wheel tracks, ink pooling, nozzle blockages with new
    heads, and numerous firmware and software glitches.

    frederick, Nov 26, 2006
  12. Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 09:21:06 +1300, frederick wrote:

    >> Digital Photography Now
    >> http://dpnow.com
    >>

    > \
    > A3+ is 10x13", the A3+ printers will do this borderless.

    It is nearer 16" x 11" allowing for border.
    --
    Neil
    'The moving finger writes and having writ still makes the same mistakes'.

    Neil Ellwood, Nov 26, 2006
  13. On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:39:37 -0800, "Skip" <>
    wrote:

    >You need to get out more. The new Canons have different inksets to improve
    >their performance. My old S9000 Canon whacks the R2200 all hollow on image
    >quality, giving way only on archival quality. I've never seen a print from
    >a 2400 that beats the newer Canon s9900, so I'd expect the newer ones to do
    >even better. And it prints A3+, too.

    I can speak from firsthand experience with a Canon S9000,
    HP DesignJet 30 and Epson R1800 (owned and used, in
    that order, over a period of about four years.)

    The Canon had a fine-microbanding issue that was apparently
    a design flaw. Print samples from other Canon printers (same
    or similar models from that era) had the same problem.
    You can see the print samples here:

    <http://www.gpsinformation.org/jack/Printer-Test/printer-prints.html>

    the micro-banding is most evident in this scan of a print:

    <http://www.gpsinformation.org/jack/Printer-Test/pot_scan2-ca.jpg>

    The Canon died after about a year and a half of moderate
    use. Some issue with the printhead thermal regulation,
    apparently on the main board. Aside from these issues,
    a decent (and fast) printer.

    The HP wasn't a bad printer, but paper handling was
    something awful. You had to use HP papers to get the
    advertised print longevity, and that was the clincher for
    me -- I sold it on eBay after about a year. The HP had
    internal color calibration that never worked (at least not
    on HPs own glossy papers.) Here's a link showing a
    close-up comparison of printed shadow detail on an
    Epson 7600 and an HP DJ-30:

    <http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi031/HP_Designjet_30.html>

    [In short: much finer dot placement on the Epson.]

    The Epson (R1800) is my favorite of this lot, so far.
    Resolution is the best I've seen on any inkjet printer.
    "Dots" are invisible, without a loupe. Best of all, it
    prints on glossy paper with pigment inks. At last!

    I'm glad that HP and Canon are giving Epson a good
    run for the money. I'm not a big stickler for "brand
    loyalty" and I see clever ideas in both the HP and the
    Canon printers. You can fault Epson printers in
    several areas, but in general their print quality is
    second to none.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Nov 26, 2006
  14. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    It's the internet generation. Too many drugs, too much caffeine and not
    enough sex. :)

    Hebee Jeebes, Nov 27, 2006
  15. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Each one has its uses. I like the Canon for quick dirty prints. With third
    party ink and paper I can print 4X6's for friends and relatives for about 12
    cents per pop. I bought the Epson as my main 13X19, but then liked what I
    saw for the HP as well as the larger ink cartridges, having all blacks in at
    once and the fact that it wastes a lot less ink just made it an easy buy
    especially when it is a better made printer (real paper drawer) for less
    money.

    If you can't see the difference between the three then you are blind.

    Hebee Jeebes, Nov 27, 2006
  16. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 21:36:09 -0800, Hebee Jeebes wrote:

    >> I love guys who feel they have to insult those who disagree with them.
    >> Why can't people be civil, anymore?

    > It's the internet generation. Too many drugs, too much caffeine

    I know the internet generation and frankly, you're not internet
    generation. You're internet degeneration.

    > and not enough sex. :)

    Well, maybe not sufficiently degenerate. :)

    ASAAR, Nov 27, 2006
  17. frederick Guest

  18. M Berger Guest

    Canon imagePRESS(TM) C7000VP digital color press

    This machine gives very very impressive results and is
    especially good where money is not an issue!

    M Berger, Nov 27, 2006
  19. Skip Guest

    > Each one has its uses. I like the Canon for quick dirty prints. With third
    > party ink and paper I can print 4X6's for friends and relatives for about
    > 12 cents per pop. I bought the Epson as my main 13X19, but then liked what
    > I saw for the HP as well as the larger ink cartridges, having all blacks
    > in at once and the fact that it wastes a lot less ink just made it an easy
    > buy especially when it is a better made printer (real paper drawer) for
    > less money.
    >
    > If you can't see the difference between the three then you are blind.

    So, you use a $500 printer that is capable of excellent 13x19 prints to do
    4x6s? That's an economical solution, if I ever heard one...

    Skip, Nov 28, 2006
  20. Skip Guest

    > It's the internet generation. Too many drugs, too much caffeine and not
    > enough sex. :)

    That must be my problem...I never did too many drugs, cut back on the
    caffeine, and I get plenty of sex...

    Skip, Nov 28, 2006