    Anyone know of a source where I could get this file?

    Thanks.
    Bruce.

    Bruce., May 13, 2008

  2. Bruce.

    Bruce. Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <efmWj.3455$>, Bruce.
    > says...
    >> I need to make a print in a custom size (8x20) of Michelangelo Creation
    >> of
    >> Adam. Not the complete picture. Just the 2 hands touching fingers.
    >> Anyone know of a source where I could get this file?

    > Alamy has 47 pictures:
    >
    > http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography-search-results.asp?
    > qt=michelangelo+creation+adam&lic=7&ipn=1&apn=1&cpn=1&cdpn=1&mr=0&pr=0
    > &ot=0&nu=0&cdsrt=0&pn=1&st=0&a=-1&cid=&cdid=&s1=0&s3=0&s5=0&s7=0
    > &pseudoid=0&npgs=7

    OMG. I guess I should have said reasonably priced. For 50.8 MB / 5150 x
    3446 pixels, they want $330. For a single photo I print myself for over the
    fireplace, that's a budget buster.

    I assumed art this old would be virtually free for the asking. Anyone know
    of a more reasonable source?

    Bruce.

    Bruce., May 13, 2008

  3. Bruce.

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On May 13, 7:42 pm, "dwight" <> wrote:
    > "Bruce." <> wrote in message

    > > "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > >> In article <efmWj.3455$>, Bruce.
    > >> says...

    > >> Alamy has 47 pictures:

    > >>http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography-search-results.asp?
    > >> qt=michelangelo+creation+adam&lic=7&ipn=1&apn=1&cpn=1&cdpn=1&mr=0&pr=0
    > >> &ot=0&nu=0&cdsrt=0&pn=1&st=0&a=-1&cid=&cdid=&s1=0&s3=0&s5=0&s7=0
    > >> &pseudoid=0&npgs=7

    > > OMG. I guess I should have said reasonably priced. For 50.8 MB / 5150 x
    > > 3446 pixels, they want $330. For a single photo I print myself for over
    > > the fireplace, that's a budget buster.

    > > I assumed art this old would be virtually free for the asking. Anyone
    > > know of a more reasonable source?

    > > Bruce.

    > The art may be old, but the digital capture sure isn't. Even film shots
    > printed in a coffee table book would not be "free for the asking," but
    > rather probably copyrighted. There's nothing wrong with a photographer
    > asking a healthy price for his work.
    >
    > Now, if you could go to Italy and slap that original art onto a photocopier,
    > you wouldn't be breaking any copyright laws.

    That would take a really big copier.

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, May 14, 2008
  4. Bruce.

    Mark Sieving Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2008 20:42:45 -0400, "dwight" <>
    wrote:

    >Now, if you could go to Italy and slap that original art onto a photocopier,
    >you wouldn't be breaking any copyright laws.

    You'd probably be breaking a lot of other laws if you slapped the
    ceiling of the Sistine Chapel onto a photocopier, though.

    Mark Sieving, May 14, 2008
  5. Mark Sieving wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 May 2008 20:42:45 -0400, "dwight" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Now, if you could go to Italy and slap that original art onto a photocopier,
    >>you wouldn't be breaking any copyright laws.

    > You'd probably be breaking a lot of other laws if you slapped the
    > ceiling of the Sistine Chapel onto a photocopier, though.

    As well as the copier.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, May 14, 2008
  6. Bruce.

    Chris H Guest

    In message <T_nWj.542$>, Bruce.
    <> writes
    >"Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <efmWj.3455$>, Bruce.
    >> says...
    >>> I need to make a print in a custom size (8x20) of Michelangelo Creation
    >>> of
    >>> Adam. Not the complete picture. Just the 2 hands touching fingers.
    >>> Anyone know of a source where I could get this file?

    >> Alamy has 47 pictures:
    >>
    >> http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography-search-results.asp?
    >> qt=michelangelo+creation+adam&lic=7&ipn=1&apn=1&cpn=1&cdpn=1&mr=0&pr=0
    >> &ot=0&nu=0&cdsrt=0&pn=1&st=0&a=-1&cid=&cdid=&s1=0&s3=0&s5=0&s7=0
    >> &pseudoid=0&npgs=7

    >OMG. I guess I should have said reasonably priced. For 50.8 MB / 5150 x
    >3446 pixels, they want $330. For a single photo I print myself for over the
    >fireplace, that's a budget buster.

    It is reasonably priced. Just out of your budget.

    Rolls Royce cars are reasonably priced but I still can't afford one

    >I assumed art this old would be virtually free for the asking.

    Not really.

    > Anyone know
    >of a more reasonable source?

    You mean cheaper. No.

    You can't have everything you want in this life.

    Chris H, May 14, 2008
  7. Bruce.

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Alfred Molon
    <> writes
    >In article <T_nWj.542$>, Bruce. says...
    >
    >> OMG. I guess I should have said reasonably priced. For 50.8 MB / 5150 x
    >> 3446 pixels, they want $330. For a single photo I print myself for over the
    >> fireplace, that's a budget buster.
    >>
    >> I assumed art this old would be virtually free for the asking. Anyone know
    >> of a more reasonable source?

    >$330 is just 214 Euro.
    >
    >Anyway, this is not an easy shot to take. Tripods are not allowed and
    >all photography is strictly forbidden in the Sistine chapel. The chapel
    >is constantly monitored by guards who control people and enforce this
    >photography ban.
    >
    >So hats off to those photographers who managed to smuggle in
    >professional photography equipment with a long lens and managed to get a
    >sharp handheld shot despite the poor lighting conditions.

    Unless it was done with permission.

    Actually it would have to be as the Church owns it. It is not "public"
    as it is a physical part of their building.

    Chris H, May 14, 2008
  8. Alfred Molon <> wrote in

    > In article <T_nWj.542$>, Bruce. says...
    >
    >> OMG. I guess I should have said reasonably priced. For 50.8 MB /
    >> 5150 x 3446 pixels, they want $330. For a single photo I print
    >> myself for over the fireplace, that's a budget buster.
    >>
    >> I assumed art this old would be virtually free for the asking.
    >> Anyone know of a more reasonable source?

    > $330 is just 214 Euro.
    >
    > Anyway, this is not an easy shot to take. Tripods are not allowed and
    > all photography is strictly forbidden in the Sistine chapel. The
    > chapel is constantly monitored by guards who control people and
    > enforce this photography ban.
    >
    > So hats off to those photographers who managed to smuggle in
    > professional photography equipment with a long lens and managed to get
    > a sharp handheld shot despite the poor lighting conditions.

    Its quite hard enough getting a sharp 6MP 20mm (equiv) shot of the ceiling
    of the Sistine chapel ;-)

    --Sophie

    (no, you don't get 4000x1600 of the fingers touching from such a shot. But
    the ceiling as a whole is more glorious than the central panel, albeit the
    central panel is the famous bit)

    Sophie Wilson, May 14, 2008
  9. Bruce.

    Bruce. Guest

    "Chris H" <> wrote in message
    > You can't have everything you want in this life.

    I'll assume that means you don't know of a cheaper site to find this photo.

    Bruce.

    Bruce., May 14, 2008
  10. Bruce.

    > $330 is just 214 Euro.
    >
    > Anyway, this is not an easy shot to take. Tripods are not allowed and
    > all photography is strictly forbidden in the Sistine chapel. The chapel
    > is constantly monitored by guards who control people and enforce this
    > photography ban.
    >
    > So hats off to those photographers who managed to smuggle in
    > professional photography equipment with a long lens and managed to get a
    > sharp handheld shot despite the poor lighting conditions.

    I think that site said their file was "licensed" so I assumed at some point
    they had legal access. Perhaps that's why it's so expensive. I can
    understand charging that much for commerical use, but geese, one framed
    picture over a fireplace? That's a rediculous price for that use.

    Bruce.

    Bruce., May 14, 2008
  11. Bruce.

    Guest

    On May 14, 2:47 pm, "Bruce." <> wrote:
    > "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message

    > > $330 is just 214 Euro.

    > > Anyway, this is not an easy shot to take. Tripods are not allowed and
    > > all photography is strictly forbidden in the Sistine chapel. The chapel
    > > is constantly monitored by guards who control people and enforce this
    > > photography ban.

    > > So hats off to those photographers who managed to smuggle in
    > > professional photography equipment with a long lens and managed to get a
    > > sharp handheld shot despite the poor lighting conditions.

    > I think that site said their file was "licensed" so I assumed at some point
    > they had legal access.  Perhaps that's why it's so expensive.  I can
    > understand charging that much for commerical use, but geese, one framed
    > picture over a fireplace?  That's a rediculous price for that use.
    >
    > Bruce.

    Bruce - you may be able to get permission to use the picture for free,
    by sending
    a request to the church itself ?

    , May 14, 2008
  12. Alfred Molon wrote:

    > In article <PsGWj.2067$>, Bruce. says...
    >
    >> I think that site said their file was "licensed" so I assumed at some point
    >> they had legal access.

    > Not necessarily. I doubt the Vatican grants photography permits for the
    > Sistine chapel.
    >
    >> Perhaps that's why it's so expensive. I can
    >> understand charging that much for commerical use, but geese, one framed
    >> picture over a fireplace? That's a rediculous price for that use.

    > Perhaps it is possible to order a print from the Vatican print shop
    > (assuming there is one).

    Or the Vatican Gift Shoppe. Over by the Pope-themed Hello Kitty and
    Hannah Montana stuff.

    Blinky the Shark, May 14, 2008
  13. Bruce.

    dj_nme Guest

    Bruce. wrote:
    > "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>$330 is just 214 Euro.
    >>
    >>Anyway, this is not an easy shot to take. Tripods are not allowed and
    >>all photography is strictly forbidden in the Sistine chapel. The chapel
    >>is constantly monitored by guards who control people and enforce this
    >>photography ban.
    >>
    >>So hats off to those photographers who managed to smuggle in
    >>professional photography equipment with a long lens and managed to get a
    >>sharp handheld shot despite the poor lighting conditions.

    > I think that site said their file was "licensed" so I assumed at some point
    > they had legal access. Perhaps that's why it's so expensive.

    So, essentially what you're writing Burce is that you don't wish to pay
    for a small fraction of what it would cost for you to go and take the
    photo yourself?
    You'd have to go to the Vatican, organise a licenced photo shoot, return
    home and pay for the whole expedition.
    Easily costing in the thousands, even if it's possible in the first place.

    > I can
    > understand charging that much for commerical use, but geese, one framed
    > picture over a fireplace? That's a rediculous price for that use.

    There is nothing besides your word that you're only going to print a
    single copy for a specific usage.

    BTW: What have geese ever done to you, are their feathers not warm
    enough in your doona?

    dj_nme, May 15, 2008
  14. Bruce.

    Bruce. Guest

    "dwight" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Sistine-Chapel-Adam-Posters_i1336323_.htm
    >
    > Someone's already done the work for you, Bruce. Prices range from $17 to
    > $75. Pick one, any one.

    Thanks. Unfortunately the request came from someone that already has the
    frame they want to use and it's a very non-standard panorama frame. So the
    plan was to do my own cropping and getting an online panorama printing site
    to make a photo to fit this frame, which is why I need the file.

    But it's looking like that plan is a wash now.

    Bruce.

    Bruce., May 15, 2008
  15. Bruce.

    Bruce. Guest

    "dj_nme" <> wrote in message
    > So, essentially what you're writing Burce is that you don't wish to pay
    > for a small fraction of what it would cost for you to go and take the
    > photo yourself?
    > You'd have to go to the Vatican, organise a licenced photo shoot, return
    > home and pay for the whole expedition.
    > Easily costing in the thousands, even if it's possible in the first place.

    The same argument says a slinky should cost several thousand dollars because
    it would cost me at least that to make myself. Children of the world would
    be very disappointed.

    > There is nothing besides your word that you're only going to print a
    > single copy for a specific usage.

    The photo sites ask for usage, number of copies, how it will be displayed,
    and several other details, and they take your word for it, but none that
    I've seen have "personal 1 time use" as a menu pick. They all assume
    commerical use, and price accordingly.

    > BTW: What have geese ever done to you, are their feathers not warm enough
    > in your doona?

    I think I meant jeeze. Pick your spelling.

    Bruce.

    Bruce., May 15, 2008
  16. Allen wrote:

    > dj_nme wrote:
    >> Bruce. wrote:
    >>> "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message

    >>> I think that site said their file was "licensed" so I assumed at some
    >>> point they had legal access. Perhaps that's why it's so expensive.

    >> So, essentially what you're writing Burce is that you don't wish to pay
    >> for a small fraction of what it would cost for you to go and take the
    >> photo yourself?
    >> You'd have to go to the Vatican, organise a licenced photo shoot, return
    >> home and pay for the whole expedition.
    >> Easily costing in the thousands, even if it's possible in the first place.
    >>
    >>> I can understand charging that much for commerical use, but geese, one
    >>> framed picture over a fireplace? That's a rediculous price for that use.

    >> There is nothing besides your word that you're only going to print a
    >> single copy for a specific usage.
    >>
    >> BTW: What have geese ever done to you, are their feathers not warm
    >> enough in your doona?

    > He's planning to find an iculous and paint it red to go with his geese
    > before they migrate. Or is that too ridiculous?

    As for me, I'm still trying to figure out what one's doona might be; it
    might be a pretty uncomfortable place to stick goose feathers...

    Blinky the Shark, May 15, 2008
  17. Bruce.

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Alfred Molon
    <> writes
    >In article <PsGWj.2067$>, Bruce. says...
    >
    >> I think that site said their file was "licensed" so I assumed at some point
    >> they had legal access.

    >Not necessarily. I doubt the Vatican grants photography permits for the
    >Sistine chapel.
    >
    >> Perhaps that's why it's so expensive. I can
    >> understand charging that much for commerical use, but geese, one framed
    >> picture over a fireplace? That's a rediculous price for that use.

    >Perhaps it is possible to order a print from the Vatican print shop
    >(assuming there is one).

    There is a Vatican tourist shop (last time I was there)
    A Vatican publishing shop
    In fact the Vatican is quite commercial.

    Chris H, May 15, 2008
  18. Bruce.

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> writes
    >Alfred Molon wrote:
    >
    >> In article <PsGWj.2067$>, Bruce. says...
    >>
    >>> I think that site said their file was "licensed" so I assumed at some point
    >>> they had legal access.

    >> Not necessarily. I doubt the Vatican grants photography permits for the
    >> Sistine chapel.
    >>
    >>> Perhaps that's why it's so expensive. I can
    >>> understand charging that much for commerical use, but geese, one framed
    >>> picture over a fireplace? That's a rediculous price for that use.

    >> Perhaps it is possible to order a print from the Vatican print shop
    >> (assuming there is one).

    >Or the Vatican Gift Shoppe. Over by the Pope-themed Hello Kitty and
    >Hannah Montana stuff.

    Last time I was there it was staffed by Nuns...

    Chris H, May 15, 2008
  19. Bruce.

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Alfred Molon
    <> writes
    >In article <482b839b$0$22160$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    >01.iinet.net.au>, dj_nme says...
    >
    >> So, essentially what you're writing Burce is that you don't wish to pay
    >> for a small fraction of what it would cost for you to go and take the
    >> photo yourself?
    >> You'd have to go to the Vatican, organise a licenced photo shoot, return
    >> home and pay for the whole expedition.
    >> Easily costing in the thousands, even if it's possible in the first place.

    >Had once a request from a US company for photos of Delhi (India). They
    >complained about my prices and said they would send somebody to Delhi to
    >take the photos.

    Who were they? I'll work for them :)

    Chris H, May 15, 2008
  20. Bruce.

    dj_nme Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Allen wrote:
    >

    >>dj_nme wrote:

    <big snip>
    >>>BTW: What have geese ever done to you, are their feathers not warm
    >>>enough in your doona?

    >>He's planning to find an iculous and paint it red to go with his geese
    >>before they migrate. Or is that too ridiculous?

    > As for me, I'm still trying to figure out what one's doona might be; it
    > might be a pretty uncomfortable place to stick goose feathers...

    A doona is a heavy winter blanket that's basically a cloth bag filled
    with feathers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doona

    dj_nme, May 15, 2008