Digital Photo Images on Computer Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CJR **, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. CJR **

    CJR ** Guest

    I was wondering if anybody in this room might be able to help me...

    Does anyone know if the image quality of digital photos downloaded
    from a digital camera into a particular computer is determined solely by
    the hardware of the computer itself, or if it's also determined in part
    by the photo editing software that's installed in the computer? (My
    problem is that the same digital images appear perfect on several
    computers, but inferior on another, when downloaded from the same memory
    stick and digital camera, so the problem isn't with the camera or my
    photography skills, at least not this time...LOL.)

    The reason I ask is that I recently purchased an expensive laptop,
    with upgraded video card and upgraded LCD screen, and all of my digital
    camera images as orginally loaded appear extremely soft and lacking in
    definition and fine detail.. The exact same photo images, when loaded on
    my desktop computer, and when loaded on the exact same model laptop that
    I purchased as a gift for a family member a month earlier, are gorgeous,
    with great defintion and fine detail, which is lacking when I load the
    images from the same memory stick into MY computer.... I even compared
    the same images side by side on both laptops, and there's a big
    difference in image definition and detail... Both laptops have the
    exact same upgraded LCD screen and same upgraded video card, but on my
    laptop I have to individually sharpen every single image through photo
    editing to get the definition and detail that automatically appears on
    the other computers...

    The odd thing is that my images from the internet are fine, but my
    digital camera photos are extremely uninvolving as originally loaded,
    because the image is overly softened for some reason.... I did buy my
    computer with different photo editing software than the other two
    computers have, and a faster processor than the other laptop has, so I'm
    wondering if buying a better photo editing package might improve the
    original image quality and improve the sharpness of the original
    image...... (And YES, I've e-mailed Dell customer service several times
    over the past month to try to get an answer, but they haven't
    responded....) Any ideas? The main reason I purchased my laptop was
    for photo editing and photo sharing when I'm on the road, since the
    photo image quality on the same unit I purchased for someone else was so
    impressive, but my image quailty doesn't come anywhere near that unless
    I sharpen each photo individually through photo editing, which is time
    consuming and a pain in the butt... Any help would really be
    appreciated... I'll gladly purchase the top of the line imaging or
    photo editing software if it might solve the problem, but I don't want
    to shell out the extra cash if it won't make a difference..... (I have
    Jasc Paint Shop Pro Studio 1.0 Premium now...)

    Again, thanks to anyone who's able to offer an opinion or advice....
    CJR **, Dec 1, 2005

  2. CJR **

    Paul Rubin Guest

    (CJR **) writes:
    > Does anyone know if the image quality of digital photos downloaded
    > from a digital camera into a particular computer is determined solely by
    > the hardware of the computer itself, or if it's also determined in part
    > by the photo editing software that's installed in the computer?

    It's completely determined by the camera. The computer and software
    has nothing to do with it.

    > (My problem is that the same digital images appear perfect on
    > several computers, but inferior on another, when downloaded from the
    > same memory stick and digital camera,

    Think of the uploaded file as good photographic print, and the
    computer as a dirty or uneven piece of glass through which you look at
    the print. Some pieces of glass are unusually dirty and so the print
    will look better through some pieces of glass thanothers. But it's
    the same print no matter which piece of glass you look through.

    > The reason I ask is that I recently purchased an expensive laptop,
    > with upgraded video card and upgraded LCD screen, and all of my digital
    > camera images as orginally loaded appear extremely soft and lacking in
    > definition and fine detail..

    This sounds to me like the screen resolution is set wrong. If you
    have, say, a 1280x1024 screen, put the mouse cursor on screen
    background, click right, select "properties", and make sure the
    resolution chosen is 1280x1024 and not some other amount that gets
    scaled by the hardware. I'm not sure I have that procedure exactly
    right but it's close.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 1, 2005

  3. (CJR **) writes:

    > I was wondering if anybody in this room might be able to help me...
    >
    > Does anyone know if the image quality of digital photos downloaded
    > from a digital camera into a particular computer is determined solely by
    > the hardware of the computer itself, or if it's also determined in part
    > by the photo editing software that's installed in the computer?

    Actually, the camera will be the primary determinant. Editing
    software is totally irrelevent (unless that's the software you're
    viewing the images in, of course).

    > (My problem is that the same digital images appear perfect on
    > several computers, but inferior on another, when downloaded from the
    > same memory stick and digital camera, so the problem isn't with the
    > camera or my photography skills, at least not this time...LOL.)

    Sounds like it could easily be a profiling problem (and you're
    probably not even using profiles, or you'd mention it). Especially
    with LCD screens, the only way to have any idea what you're going to
    see is to use a hardware sensor based profiling package, which
    calibrates the screen for you.

    > The reason I ask is that I recently purchased an expensive laptop,
    > with upgraded video card and upgraded LCD screen, and all of my digital
    > camera images as orginally loaded appear extremely soft and lacking in
    > definition and fine detail.. The exact same photo images, when loaded on
    > my desktop computer, and when loaded on the exact same model laptop that
    > I purchased as a gift for a family member a month earlier, are gorgeous,
    > with great defintion and fine detail, which is lacking when I load the
    > images from the same memory stick into MY computer.... I even compared
    > the same images side by side on both laptops, and there's a big
    > difference in image definition and detail... Both laptops have the
    > exact same upgraded LCD screen and same upgraded video card, but on my
    > laptop I have to individually sharpen every single image through photo
    > editing to get the definition and detail that automatically appears on
    > the other computers...

    Except that profiling has nothing to do with sharpness or detail or
    definition, only with color. This is sounding very weird. I don't
    understand how to produce your problem, so I don't have a clue how to
    solve it either.

    > The odd thing is that my images from the internet are fine, but my
    > digital camera photos are extremely uninvolving as originally loaded,
    > because the image is overly softened for some reason....

    An original image direct from a digital camera (particularly a good
    one) is generally quite soft looking compared to the final version
    that will eventually be presented on the internet. You shouldn't
    expect your camera originals to look as good as finished photos from
    the net.

    (The amount of sharpening needed is highly variable, and having the
    camera automatically apply a lot often causes it to apply *too much*
    for some photos, and that's unfixable. So "more serious" cameras do
    less sharpening, and produce photos that look less good before
    post-processing, while "less serious" cameras try to produce good
    looking results straight out of the camera, but sometimes ruin the
    photos in the process.)l
    David Dyer-Bennet, Dec 1, 2005
  4. CJR **

    zonker Guest

    i Noticed the same thing and have found it has more to do with the
    monitor i am using to view the picture with than anything else.

    zonker

    http://2000ah.blogspot.com
    zonker, Dec 1, 2005
  5. CJR **

    Tesco News Guest

    "CJR **" <> wrote in message
    > I was wondering if anybody in this room might be able to help me...
    >
    > Does anyone know if the image quality of digital photos downloaded
    > from a digital camera into a particular computer is determined solely by
    > the hardware of the computer itself, or if it's also determined in part
    > by the photo editing software that's installed in the computer? (My
    > problem is that the same digital images appear perfect on several
    > computers, but inferior on another, when downloaded from the same memory
    > stick and digital camera, so the problem isn't with the camera or my
    > photography skills, at least not this time...LOL.)
    >
    > The reason I ask is that I recently purchased an expensive laptop,
    > with upgraded video card and upgraded LCD screen, and all of my digital
    > camera images as orginally loaded appear extremely soft and lacking in
    > definition and fine detail.. The exact same photo images, when loaded on
    > my desktop computer, and when loaded on the exact same model laptop that
    > I purchased as a gift for a family member a month earlier, are gorgeous,
    > with great defintion and fine detail, which is lacking when I load the
    > images from the same memory stick into MY computer.... I even compared
    > the same images side by side on both laptops, and there's a big
    > difference in image definition and detail... Both laptops have the
    > exact same upgraded LCD screen and same upgraded video card, but on my
    > laptop I have to individually sharpen every single image through photo
    > editing to get the definition and detail that automatically appears on
    > the other computers...
    >
    > The odd thing is that my images from the internet are fine, but my
    > digital camera photos are extremely uninvolving as originally loaded,
    > because the image is overly softened for some reason.... I did buy my
    > computer with different photo editing software than the other two
    > computers have, and a faster processor than the other laptop has, so I'm
    > wondering if buying a better photo editing package might improve the
    > original image quality and improve the sharpness of the original
    > image...... (And YES, I've e-mailed Dell customer service several times
    > over the past month to try to get an answer, but they haven't
    > responded....) Any ideas? The main reason I purchased my laptop was
    > for photo editing and photo sharing when I'm on the road, since the
    > photo image quality on the same unit I purchased for someone else was so
    > impressive, but my image quailty doesn't come anywhere near that unless
    > I sharpen each photo individually through photo editing, which is time
    > consuming and a pain in the butt... Any help would really be
    > appreciated... I'll gladly purchase the top of the line imaging or
    > photo editing software if it might solve the problem, but I don't want
    > to shell out the extra cash if it won't make a difference..... (I have
    > Jasc Paint Shop Pro Studio 1.0 Premium now...)
    >
    > Again, thanks to anyone who's able to offer an opinion or advice....

    Hi.

    I have read your posting and the various replies.

    From what you say, I suspect that the problem lies in your new expensive
    Laptop.

    The pictures appear sharp enough on the other machines, so there is nothing
    wong with the Camera. If it is not the camera it has to be the Computer
    Display which has a fault, or is incorrectly set.

    Roy G
    Tesco News, Dec 1, 2005
  6. CJR **

    Marvin Guest

    CJR ** wrote:
    > I was wondering if anybody in this room might be able to help me...
    >
    > Does anyone know if the image quality of digital photos downloaded
    > from a digital camera into a particular computer is determined solely by
    > the hardware of the computer itself, or if it's also determined in part
    > by the photo editing software that's installed in the computer? (My
    > problem is that the same digital images appear perfect on several
    > computers, but inferior on another, when downloaded from the same memory
    > stick and digital camera, so the problem isn't with the camera or my
    > photography skills, at least not this time...LOL.)
    >
    > The reason I ask is that I recently purchased an expensive laptop,
    > with upgraded video card and upgraded LCD screen, and all of my digital
    > camera images as orginally loaded appear extremely soft and lacking in
    > definition and fine detail.. The exact same photo images, when loaded on
    > my desktop computer, and when loaded on the exact same model laptop that
    > I purchased as a gift for a family member a month earlier, are gorgeous,
    > with great defintion and fine detail, which is lacking when I load the
    > images from the same memory stick into MY computer.... I even compared
    > the same images side by side on both laptops, and there's a big
    > difference in image definition and detail... Both laptops have the
    > exact same upgraded LCD screen and same upgraded video card, but on my
    > laptop I have to individually sharpen every single image through photo
    > editing to get the definition and detail that automatically appears on
    > the other computers...
    >
    > The odd thing is that my images from the internet are fine, but my
    > digital camera photos are extremely uninvolving as originally loaded,
    > because the image is overly softened for some reason.... I did buy my
    > computer with different photo editing software than the other two
    > computers have, and a faster processor than the other laptop has, so I'm
    > wondering if buying a better photo editing package might improve the
    > original image quality and improve the sharpness of the original
    > image...... (And YES, I've e-mailed Dell customer service several times
    > over the past month to try to get an answer, but they haven't
    > responded....) Any ideas? The main reason I purchased my laptop was
    > for photo editing and photo sharing when I'm on the road, since the
    > photo image quality on the same unit I purchased for someone else was so
    > impressive, but my image quailty doesn't come anywhere near that unless
    > I sharpen each photo individually through photo editing, which is time
    > consuming and a pain in the butt... Any help would really be
    > appreciated... I'll gladly purchase the top of the line imaging or
    > photo editing software if it might solve the problem, but I don't want
    > to shell out the extra cash if it won't make a difference..... (I have
    > Jasc Paint Shop Pro Studio 1.0 Premium now...)
    >
    > Again, thanks to anyone who's able to offer an opinion or advice....

    The monitor is the most important difference. And that depends to a significnat degree in
    how the monitor is set up, especially the color rendition as is set by the color profile.
    Sometimes, the brightness and contrast of the monitor can be reset to make a big
    difference in the quality of the picture display.
    Marvin, Dec 2, 2005
  7. CJR **

    Jack Yeazel Guest

    zonker wrote:

    > i Noticed the same thing and have found it has more to do with the
    > monitor i am using to view the picture with than anything else.

    -Same here...

    --
    Jack

    Get general GPS information at: http://www.gpsinformation.net/
    Jack Yeazel, Dec 2, 2005
  8. CJR **

    ½ Confused Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:36:06 -0500
    In message <>
    Posted from WebTV Subscriber
    (CJR **) wrote:

    > I was wondering if anybody in this room might be able to help me...

    The quality and size of a photo is independent of the computer used to
    edit/store/display the photo. Any improvements over the original from
    editing is in the domain of the few who know how to make photoshop
    work.

    (Note the hidden punch to the head of photoshop experts who spend far
    too many hours learning a far too tedious interface for several
    thousand extremely complex mathematical formulas and their imaging
    applications, causing 3rd party filters to be insane (unless one LIKES
    buying several $300+ software packages to find the 5-10 filters one
    will actually use). :)

    Jeff
    ½ Confused, Dec 4, 2005