Digital Photo Image File Renaming

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Vladimir Veytsel, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Please find at the link below the program for renaming digital photo
    image files using date and time recorded by camera with the image.

    http://www.davar.net/MISCL/DOWNLOAD/RENPHOT.HTM

    Formal and easily achieved image file naming consistency simplifies
    organization and maintenance of large picture archives.

    RENPHOT generates unique names for image files recorded by a digital
    camera basing on date-time stamps contained within files. Generated
    file names are unique only within the given year - it's not much of a
    trouble to separate files between years, while this limitation permits
    to maintain the most universal 8.3 naming standard. Ideally a digital
    camera itself should do this job, but file naming seems to be of a
    little concern for camera designers.

    Program reads all not entirely digitally named *.JPG files within the
    CURRENT directory and renames those that have recorded date and time
    stamp (non-zero). Recorded date and time can be adjusted by a fixed
    value to handle the situation when pictures were taken in a time zone
    different from one where camera clock was set, or to correct error of
    the camera clock. Along with file renaming program appends records
    to the DESCRIPT.ION file providing initial description approximations
    (with optional global comment) that can be adjusted manually later.

    --
    Best regards,
    Vladimir Veytsel.
    Vladimir Veytsel, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Vladimir Veytsel

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Vladimir Veytsel <> writes:

    > RENPHOT generates unique names for image files recorded by a digital
    > camera basing on date-time stamps contained within files. Generated
    > file names are unique only within the given year - it's not much of a
    > trouble to separate files between years

    We already have jhead and epinfo that can create folders for years.
    They can time-name the files according to patterns you give them.

    Both are free software and have been built on many different operating
    systems.

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/ Let your digital photos organize themselves.
    Sign up today for a 7-day free trial.
    Bruce Lewis, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Vladimir Veytsel

    Guest

    Bruce Lewis wrote:
    > Vladimir Veytsel <> writes:
    >
    > > RENPHOT generates unique names for image files recorded by a

    digital
    > > camera basing on date-time stamps contained within files.

    Generated
    > > file names are unique only within the given year - it's not much of

    > > trouble to separate files between years

    > We already have jhead and epinfo that can create folders for years.
    > They can time-name the files according to patterns you give them.
    >
    > Both are free software and have been built on many different

    operating
    > systems.

    Digital Image Mover (DIM) available at
    http://www.alanlight.com/dim/Dim.htm
    is another free and cross-platform package which performs this function
    (and does it quite well, I might add).
    , Dec 2, 2004
  4. Vladimir Veytsel

    Alan Light Guest

    Bruce Lewis <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Vladimir Veytsel <> writes:
    >
    > > RENPHOT generates unique names for image files recorded by a digital
    > > camera basing on date-time stamps contained within files. Generated
    > > file names are unique only within the given year - it's not much of a
    > > trouble to separate files between years

    > We already have jhead and epinfo that can create folders for years.
    > They can time-name the files according to patterns you give them.
    >
    > Both are free software and have been built on many different operating
    > systems.

    Digital Image Mover (DIM) also performs this task, is also free and
    cross-platform. Plus it has a GUI and is somewhat more feature-rich.

    Check it out at: http://www.alanlight.com/dim/Dim.htm
    Alan Light, Dec 2, 2004