Digital Photo Image File Renaming

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Vladimir Veytsel, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. Vladimir Veytsel, Apr 23, 2004

  2. Vladimir Veytsel

    JC Dill Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:42:39 GMT, Vladimir Veytsel <>
    wrote:

    >Please find at the link below the program for renaming digital photo
    >image files using date and time recorded by camera with the image.
    >
    >http://www.davar.net/MISCL/DOWNLOAD/RENPHOT.HTM
    >
    >Formal and easily achieved image file name consistency simplifies
    >organization and maintenance of large picture archives.

    What does this program do when it encounters a group of photos taken
    with a "motor drive" feature? I have an Olympus E100RS, which can
    take up to 15 frames per second. (I'm planning on upgrading to a
    Canon 1D Mark II, which can take up to 8 FPS.)

    Thus, I can have up to 15 files that have an identical date/time
    stamp.

    jc

    (posted and emailed)
    JC Dill, Apr 25, 2004

  3. On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 23:50:17 GMT, JC Dill
    <> was understood to have stated the
    following:

    >What does this program do when it encounters a group of photos taken
    >with a "motor drive" feature? I have an Olympus E100RS, which can
    >take up to 15 frames per second. (I'm planning on upgrading to a
    >Canon 1D Mark II, which can take up to 8 FPS.)
    >
    >Thus, I can have up to 15 files that have an identical date/time
    >stamp.

    I just hacked out something for Windoze yesterday that might meet your
    needs; it definitely meets mine.

    Basic theory of operation

    Drag files (type is irrelevant) from Explorer to the app's dialog box.

    1) The app examines the date and time the file was last written to
    generate the file name. As my camera date and time stamps the .jpg
    file with the date and time the photo was taken, this works for me. It
    also provides the benefit that it will work for files other than .jpg.
    It builds in the YYYYMMDDHHSSMM format, and this is not a configurable
    parameter (at present; I might be financially motivated to include
    that capacity).

    2) After building the list of names, it sorts and scans the list for
    the date and time stamp, and if the date and time stamps are equal, as
    would be when multiple files are generated in the same second, it then
    sorts them alphabetically according to file name. In the case where
    there are multiple files with the same date and time stamp, it counts
    the quantity of files that were written to in the same second.

    3) In the case where there are multiple files written in the same
    second, it takes the quantity and figures out how many decimal places
    are required to accurately and neatly format the addition to the file
    name. For example, 4 files written in the same second would have a
    format of "-1", "-2", etc postpended to the file name; 20 files
    written in the same second would have a format of "-01", "-02", etc.
    I've tested up to 130 files written in the same second in this manner.
    David W. Poole, Jr., Apr 26, 2004
  4. Yes, I know pretty well what you are talking about - I believe, I also have
    similar feature for taking many shots in quick succession, and, though I've
    never used it, I've encountered situations when I was taking several shots
    per minute manually. This made me think about how to handle it, while
    staying within 8.3 file naming system. (Obviously it's no problem at all,
    if one decides to go past 8.3 names - just add to the name part the "nnnn"
    - sequential number of the picture within the the flash cartridge.)

    To handle this situation I've used continuous incrementing of digital file
    name - not much of sophistication, but works OK, providing what is necessary
    - unique file name. Slight distortion of date and time pattern is not the
    problem - actual date and time are safe in the description record.

    Below there is the clip from program description (it's on the web site):

    - Renames each file into MODAHRUT.JPG using data from date and time stamp.
    +>+>+>+>
    | | v Minute (can be incremented over 59 to 99)
    | v Hour (can be incremented over 23, if required)
    v Day
    Month

    - In case such name already exists, name is incremented by "+1" until
    proper vacant name slot is found (the ACTUAL time is placed in the
    description record). Such incrementing might move the minute field
    over 59 to 99 and under very rare circumstances hour field over 23.
    (It's not a big deal to keep file name always as a proper date, but
    it might tend to propagate the shift beyond month and even beyond year,
    which doesn't make any sense.)

    This incrementing might cause intercartidge problem, and there is a special
    parameter to handle it:

    4. Name of the last file from the previous memory cartridge in the form
    of an eight-digit number "MODAHRUT" (Default or invalid: none).
    This parameter might prove handy for downloading and renaming images
    from several successive memory cartridges in case of a high frequency
    of shots made at the end of one cartridge that results in the
    incremental shift of file name numbers, so that this shift carries
    over into the next cartridge. This might happen because it's
    necessary to download separate cartridges into separate directories
    - camera provides unique names only within its current cartridge.
    There's always a choice, of course, not to use this parameter, but
    to do necessary image file name adjustments manually when merging
    individual cartridge directories together.

    Look through program description (bold fixed font). It reflects some
    problems that usage of this program presented, and solutions of these
    problems.

    --
    Best regards,
    Vladimir Veytsel.