    Best regards,
    Vladimir Veytsel.
    http://www.davar.net
    Vladimir Veytsel, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Vladimir Veytsel

    Guest

    For another one, with easy windows interface:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/picl/

    I find it very convenient and use it after downloading images to my pc.
    Should run on any platform.

    RonnyDW

    Vladimir Veytsel wrote:

    > Please find at the link below the program for renaming digital photo
    > image files using date and time recorded by camera with the image.
    >
    > http://www.davar.net/MISCL/DOWNLOAD/RENPHOT.HTM
    >
    > Formal and easily achieved image file name consistency simplifies
    > organization and maintenance of large picture archives.

    , Dec 8, 2003

  3. Ronny,

    Thanks for the link. I hardly will switch (it takes time, and I like
    to be in control of my tools, whenever it is possible), but I'll be
    glad to place this link in my links page.

    I've missed your previous message, and want to reply you now. You have
    a valid point that full unambiguous names for photo files containing
    date and time from year down to the second are universal, and generally
    are the best solution.

    I use 8.3 old names for two reasons that are important for me.

    1. My archives and picture albums are in directory structures the
    lowest level of which is a year, so having year in the file name
    was a sort of a waste for me. Seconds are hardly important (even
    minutes are important only to distinguish pictures within same
    hour). That left me with 8 significant positions, which prompted
    the length of the name.
    2. My whole development (synchronization, backups, site uploading, etc.)
    is supported by 4DOS batch scripts that handle nicely 8.3 names, but
    require additional effort for LFNs. Of course, there's 4NT, Win
    batch scripting is not bad, VSH available - plenty of good options,
    but there's always a dilemma of severely limited time, and necessity
    to choose between mass reprogramming, or using an older tools while
    developing site contents instead. I opt for the latter, and that's
    why I use the 8.3 names that within my environment are no limitation
    at all.

    Having said that about MY preferences, I would like to tell you again
    that if I were to make a fresh start now, I would most likely reconsider
    my naming scheme, and use universal full names similar to what you use.

    Best regards,
    Vlad.
    http://www.davar.net

    From: lid ()