Digital Photo Frame Saying 2GB Card is Full When it's Not

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jeffy3, Dec 12, 2007.

  1. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    Was transferring photos to a brand new 2GB SD card that is inserted
    into my KODAK photo frame. Telling me it's full long before 2GB
    worth of photos are transferred. I did some google searching and saw
    some references to limiting of "root folders" and maybe I need to
    establish subfolders within the card? Does this make any sense to
    anyone? Naturally KODAK's literature doesn't shed any light on any of
    this, just says it supports up to 2GB cards.
    Jeffy3, Dec 12, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jeffy3 wrote:
    > Was transferring photos to a brand new 2GB SD card that is inserted
    > into my KODAK photo frame. Telling me it's full long before 2GB
    > worth of photos are transferred. I did some google searching and saw
    > some references to limiting of "root folders"


    That is correct. For FAT16 the number of root directory entries is hardcoded
    at formatting time, typically to 512, although other sizes are possible.
    Note that long filenames will use multiple entries, thus further reducing
    the number of items that can be kept in the root directory.

    > and maybe I need to
    > establish subfolders within the card?


    Well, that would be quite easy to find out, wouldn't it?

    Another possibility could be a faked card. There are scum bags out there who
    just re-label a lower capacity card (with or without faking a large-size
    file system) and then sell it for a higher price.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Dec 12, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jeffy3

    PCs Rule Guest

    "Jeffy3" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Was transferring photos to a brand new 2GB SD card that is inserted
    > into my KODAK photo frame. Telling me it's full long before 2GB
    > worth of photos are transferred. I did some google searching and saw
    > some references to limiting of "root folders" and maybe I need to
    > establish subfolders within the card? Does this make any sense to
    > anyone? Naturally KODAK's literature doesn't shed any light on any of
    > this, just says it supports up to 2GB cards.


    If the card is formatted in FAT16, I believe there is a limit of 512 items
    at the root level. Create a subdirectory (after deleting at least one file)
    and move your files to that sub. It should be unlimited (up to the card's
    capacity). I would create several subs and not put over 1024 files in each.
    That will help performance.
    PCs Rule, Dec 12, 2007
    #3
  4. Jeffy3

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Jeffy3 wrote:
    > Was transferring photos to a brand new 2GB SD card that is inserted
    > into my KODAK photo frame. Telling me it's full long before 2GB
    > worth of photos are transferred. I did some google searching and saw
    > some references to limiting of "root folders" and maybe I need to
    > establish subfolders within the card? Does this make any sense to
    > anyone? Naturally KODAK's literature doesn't shed any light on any of
    > this, just says it supports up to 2GB cards.


    If the card is formatted to fat16, there is a limit to the number of
    root files. This is stated as 512, however, long filename support will
    reduce this number by a significant factor.
    You could try formatting the card to fat32, which makes much more sense
    for a device of this size. A fat32 device doesn't have this limit. The
    frame may or may not like fat32, just try it.
    You can also create sub-folders, but again you'll need to verify the
    frame electronics is happy with this.
    In the unlikely event neither of these suggestions works (I suspect both
    will be ok), then at least limit filename size, or better yet return the
    device since it's a lousy design.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Dec 12, 2007
    #4
  5. Jeffy3

    Charles Guest

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:45:04 -0800 (PST), Jeffy3 <>
    wrote:

    >Was transferring photos to a brand new 2GB SD card that is inserted
    >into my KODAK photo frame. Telling me it's full long before 2GB
    >worth of photos are transferred. I did some google searching and saw
    >some references to limiting of "root folders" and maybe I need to
    >establish subfolders within the card? Does this make any sense to
    >anyone? Naturally KODAK's literature doesn't shed any light on any of
    >this, just says it supports up to 2GB cards.



    I had that problem. I reformatted the card to FAT32.
    Charles, Dec 12, 2007
    #5
  6. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    On Dec 12, 1:02 pm, Charles <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:45:04 -0800 (PST), Jeffy3 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Was transferring photos to a brand new 2GB SD card that is inserted
    > >into my KODAK photo frame. Telling me it's full long before 2GB
    > >worth of photos are transferred. I did some google searching and saw
    > >some references to limiting of "root folders" and maybe I need to
    > >establish subfolders within the card? Does this make any sense to
    > >anyone? Naturally KODAK's literature doesn't shed any light on any of
    > >this, just says it supports up to 2GB cards.

    >
    > I had that problem. I reformatted the card to FAT32.


    Thank you all. The frame does support folders, but I would prefer all
    the photo. How does one reformat a card to FAT32?
    Jeffy3, Dec 12, 2007
    #6
  7. Jeffy3 wrote:
    > the photo. How does one reformat a card to FAT32?


    You start your favourite formatting program and specify FAT32 as the file
    system. At least that is the general direction.
    Further details are impossible to provide because you didn't tell us which
    operating system or formatting program you are using.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Dec 12, 2007
    #7
  8. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    On Dec 12, 5:08 pm, "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote:
    > Jeffy3 wrote:
    > > the photo. How does one reformat a card to FAT32?

    >
    > You start your favourite formatting program and specify FAT32 as the file
    > system. At least that is the general direction.
    > Further details are impossible to provide because you didn't tell us which
    > operating system or formatting program you are using.
    >
    > jue


    Thanks. I don't have a card reader so I suppose I would have to insert
    the card into the digital frame, connect the frame to the computer by
    USB, and then click on something on the drive for the card?
    Jeffy3, Dec 13, 2007
    #8
  9. Jeffy3 wrote:
    > On Dec 12, 5:08 pm, "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote:
    >> Jeffy3 wrote:
    >>> the photo. How does one reformat a card to FAT32?

    >>
    >> You start your favourite formatting program and specify FAT32 as the
    >> file system. At least that is the general direction.
    >> Further details are impossible to provide because you didn't tell us
    >> which operating system or formatting program you are using.

    >
    > Thanks. I don't have a card reader so I suppose I would have to insert
    > the card into the digital frame, connect the frame to the computer by
    > USB, and then click on something on the drive for the card?


    If (and that is a big if) that picture frame when plugged into a computer
    behaves like a normal card reader then you should be able to use whatever
    program your operating system provides or any third-party application to
    format the memory card.

    Further details are impossible to provide because you didn't tell us
    which operating system or formatting program you are using.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Dec 13, 2007
    #9
  10. Jeffy3

    Charles Guest

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:58:32 -0800 (PST), Jeffy3 <>
    wrote:

    >On Dec 12, 5:08 pm, "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote:
    >> Jeffy3 wrote:
    >> > the photo. How does one reformat a card to FAT32?

    >>
    >> You start your favourite formatting program and specify FAT32 as the file
    >> system. At least that is the general direction.
    >> Further details are impossible to provide because you didn't tell us which
    >> operating system or formatting program you are using.
    >>
    >> jue

    >
    >Thanks. I don't have a card reader so I suppose I would have to insert
    >the card into the digital frame, connect the frame to the computer by
    >USB, and then click on something on the drive for the card?



    My suggestion would be to get a card reader.
    Charles, Dec 13, 2007
    #10
  11. Jeffy3 wrote:
    []
    > Thanks. I don't have a card reader so I suppose I would have to insert
    > the card into the digital frame, connect the frame to the computer by
    > USB, and then click on something on the drive for the card?


    Check if your computer has card-reading slots. Many recent ones do.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 14, 2007
    #11
  12. Jeffy3

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Charles wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:58:32 -0800 (PST), Jeffy3 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Dec 12, 5:08 pm, "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote:
    >>> Jeffy3 wrote:
    >>>> the photo. How does one reformat a card to FAT32?
    >>> You start your favourite formatting program and specify FAT32 as the file
    >>> system. At least that is the general direction.
    >>> Further details are impossible to provide because you didn't tell us which
    >>> operating system or formatting program you are using.
    >>>
    >>> jue

    >> Thanks. I don't have a card reader so I suppose I would have to insert
    >> the card into the digital frame, connect the frame to the computer by
    >> USB, and then click on something on the drive for the card?

    >
    >
    > My suggestion would be to get a card reader.


    I agree, given that they are REALLY inexpensive. Much utility to be had
    as well.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2007
    #12
  13. Jeffy3

    Guest

    On Dec 12, 8:45 am, Jeffy3 <> wrote:
    > Was transferring photos to a brand new 2GB SD card that is inserted
    > into my KODAK photo frame. Telling me it's full long before 2GB
    > worth of photos are transferred. I did some google searching and saw
    > some references to limiting of "root folders" and maybe I need to
    > establish subfolders within the card? Does this make any sense to
    > anyone? Naturally KODAK's literature doesn't shed any light on any of
    > this, just says it supports up to 2GB cards.


    Try renaming the photo files using file names that are 8 characters
    (or less). This should allow you to increase the number of photo files
    stored on the card. I use FastStone Image Viewer (free download at
    www.cnet.com - also allows you to resize the photos to smaller file
    size).
    , Dec 15, 2007
    #13
  14. Jeffy3

    Malcolm Hoar Guest

    In article <>, Jeffy3 <> wrote:
    >Was transferring photos to a brand new 2GB SD card that is inserted
    >into my KODAK photo frame. Telling me it's full long before 2GB
    >worth of photos are transferred. I did some google searching and saw
    >some references to limiting of "root folders" and maybe I need to
    >establish subfolders within the card? Does this make any sense to
    >anyone?


    Yes, some of these devices have a limit on the number
    of files per folder (e.g. 255). Split the files over
    several sub-folders and you may be okay.

    --
    |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
    | Malcolm Hoar "The more I practice, the luckier I get". |
    | Gary Player. |
    | http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Malcolm Hoar, Dec 15, 2007
    #14
  15. In article <>, says...
    > In article <>, Jeffy3 <> wrote:
    > >Was transferring photos to a brand new 2GB SD card that is inserted
    > >into my KODAK photo frame. Telling me it's full long before 2GB
    > >worth of photos are transferred. I did some google searching and saw
    > >some references to limiting of "root folders" and maybe I need to
    > >establish subfolders within the card? Does this make any sense to
    > >anyone?

    >
    > Yes, some of these devices have a limit on the number
    > of files per folder (e.g. 255). Split the files over
    > several sub-folders and you may be okay.


    Actually, all FAT devices have a limit on the number of files in the
    root directory (it's typically 512 for a 2GB device).
    As another poster pointed out, long file names can be a problem, as they
    consume multiple directory entries. Restrict filenames to 8.3
    (filename.ext) length.

    You only need to create one subdirectory/subfolder (assuming the photo
    frame understands them), because the limit only applies to the root
    directory.

    Also, there is always wasted space due to cluster size when using FAT
    format storage. On a 2GB drive, the cluster size (minimum allocation)
    is typically 4 Kbytes. So, a file 1 byte long takes a minimum of 4KByte
    to store. This most likely is NOT the problem, but it partially
    explains why you can fill a drive up without using ALL of its available
    space.

    --Gene
    Gene S. Berkowitz, Dec 16, 2007
    #15
  16. On Dec 16, 1:11 pm, Gene S. Berkowitz <> wrote:
    >...


    Are you related to Rita Berkowitz ? Are you her husband ? Will you
    beat crap out of anyone who dares to annoy her ?
    Beladi Nasrallah, Dec 16, 2007
    #16
  17. In article <1b475c9a-2729-4326-83b3-d6831c1cd183
    @t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > On Dec 16, 1:11 pm, Gene S. Berkowitz <> wrote:
    > >...

    >
    > Are you related to Rita Berkowitz ? Are you her husband ? Will you
    > beat crap out of anyone who dares to annoy her ?


    No, not related, that I'm aware of (of course, somewhere in Eastern
    Europe a few hundred years ago was a guy who would have a lot of
    explaining to do...)

    --Gene
    Gene S. Berkowitz, Dec 16, 2007
    #17
  18. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    On Dec 15, 10:26 pm, Gene S. Berkowitz <> wrote:
    > In article <1b475c9a-2729-4326-83b3-d6831c1cd183
    > @t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >
    > > On Dec 16, 1:11 pm, Gene S. Berkowitz <> wrote:
    > > >...

    >
    > > Are you related to Rita Berkowitz ? Are you her husband ? Will you
    > > beat crap out of anyone who dares to annoy her ?

    >
    > No, not related, that I'm aware of (of course, somewhere in Eastern
    > Europe a few hundred years ago was a guy who would have a lot of
    > explaining to do...)
    >
    > --Gene


    Reformatting the card to FAT32 resolved the problem. Thanks everyone.
    (Now if I had only known the frame doesn't support randomization of
    images!)
    Jeffy3, Dec 17, 2007
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    14
    Views:
    1,626
    ASAAR
    Dec 10, 2005
  2. Can't format my 2GB SD card to be 2GB

    , Aug 21, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    710
    Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)
    Aug 21, 2006
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    487
  4. b

    RAM - 2gb becomes 4gb becomes 2gb

    b, Apr 27, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    738
    Jimchip
    Apr 28, 2006
  5. inferang

    USB memory keys - 2GB hold 2GB

    inferang, Feb 3, 2014, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    149
Loading...

Share This Page