    --
    Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit.

    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Ockham's Razor, Dec 2, 2007

  2. Ockham's Razor

    Carl Randall Guest

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 10:00:47 -0800, Ockham's Razor <> wrote:

    >I want to try "painting" enhancement of some digital shots.
    >
    >PSE doesn't do an acceptable job.
    >
    >I have heard about Corel Painter X. I found copies of the software on
    >ebay for about ten percent of the retail cost.
    >
    >Can anyone explain this wide variation in price for what seems to be the
    >same software?
    >
    >TIA

    Get a copy of Paint Shop Pro v9.0 ($10?) or later. v9.0 is about all you'll
    need. It has some pretty good albeit rudimentary (compared to things like
    "Painter") painting tools that will allow you to paint on top of your image.

    There's also some excellent freeware plugins that will do an admirable painter
    effect. Look for copies of the old "MS Impressionist" plugin that was stripped
    out of some old MS Windows 3.1 application many moons ago. MS has all but
    abandoned it and it is freely floating around out there. If you take the time to
    learn it you can get some pretty stunning and realistic painter effects.
    Carl Randall, Dec 2, 2007

  3. On Dec 2, 12:00 pm, Ockham's Razor <> wrote:
    > I want to try "painting" enhancement of some digital shots.
    >
    > PSE doesn't do an acceptable job.
    >
    > I have heard about Corel Painter X. I found copies of the software on
    > ebay for about ten percent of the retail cost.
    >
    > Can anyone explain this wide variation in price for what seems to be the
    > same software?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit.
    >
    > Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    It is so cheap because it is not the current version. That being
    said, if all you want is the "painting" effects tool, it is fine. I
    still use both X and v9- I have not gotten the latest version and do
    not intend to.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Dec 2, 2007
  4. Ockham's Razor

    Douglas Guest

    "Don Stauffer in Minnesota" <> wrote in message
    On Dec 2, 12:00 pm, Ockham's Razor <> wrote:
    > I want to try "painting" enhancement of some digital shots.
    >
    > PSE doesn't do an acceptable job.
    >
    > I have heard about Corel Painter X. I found copies of the software on
    > ebay for about ten percent of the retail cost.
    >
    > Can anyone explain this wide variation in price for what seems to be the
    > same software?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit.
    >
    > Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    It is so cheap because it is not the current version. That being
    said, if all you want is the "painting" effects tool, it is fine. I
    still use both X and v9- I have not gotten the latest version and do
    not intend to.

    Painter is the ultimate program for artists who want to avoid the
    paint-scan(or photograph)-digitize steps to obtain prints of their work.
    Just the range of brush preasures available is enough to scare off most
    people. Then you add the brush types available and the learning curve for
    non-artists is formidable.

    I'd suggest the reason for the low price is the issues non-artists have
    discovered when they thought they could buy a natural talent only a few of
    us have. Starting with a photo does not in itself ensure a painting will be
    created. The further you step back from a painting traced from a photo, the
    more it looks like the original photo. I created this piece from a
    photograph using painter:
    http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/images/canvas-art.jpg.

    I no longer have the actual painting I made from the photo but the real
    painting I produced with acrylics and brushes - as opposed to this one I
    made by copying the photo and applying "paint effects" are chalk and cheeze
    stuff. Maybe it's my experience level with Corel, maybe it's the way
    "digital painting" looks so ... Well ...digital. There are other programs
    around "Gertrudis" is one... That do an easier job than painter of producing
    a Faux painting.

    Douglas
    Douglas, Dec 2, 2007