Digital Optical sockets on Soundcards

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Sep 26, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I just wondered if there are any soundcards that have the Digital
    Optical input and output on the actual soundcards at the back of the
    pc?

    The only ones I've seen so far are the ones that have them on the
    front panels for the more expensive sound card packages that go into
    the 5" front drive bay slots.

    I'm just asking because for me it would be more tidy to have it at the
    back on the sound card than on the front part. It's not really a
    matter of cost. I am looking at upgrading my 16 bit Sound Card which
    was the Creative Platinum one with the front unit. I just wanted to
    know if any manufacturer have these on the actual cards as well, as I
    don't need it to be on the front, I want it out of sight.

    Finally, is there any serious competition to Creative out there? I
    remember that Yamaha used to be quite good with sound cards. and I
    also remember one called "Turtle Beach" I think it was, but that was
    more for music pros. Maybe it's just me, but at the moment it seems
    to be Creative that dominates anything to do with sound.

    Cheers

    John

    John, Sep 26, 2004