Digital memories survive extremes

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Daryl, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. Daryl

    Daryl Guest

    Daryl, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Daryl

    Justin Thyme Guest

    "Daryl" <> wrote in message

    And to think I went to put a 128MB CF card into one of those fuji Digital
    Photo Centres, and a spark jumped about 1/4 inch from the card to the DPC
    just as I was about to insert it. From that point on, the card was dead -
    not even detected by camera or computer. Thankfully I had already backed up
    my photos onto my computer. So be warned, before using a digital photo
    centre, earth yourself to discharge any static electricity before putting
    the card anywhere near it.

    Justin Thyme, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Daryl

    Canongirly Guest

    "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message

    > "Daryl" <> wrote in message
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3939333.stm
    > >

    > And to think I went to put a 128MB CF card into one of those fuji Digital
    > Photo Centres, and a spark jumped about 1/4 inch from the card to the DPC
    > just as I was about to insert it. From that point on, the card was dead -
    > not even detected by camera or computer. Thankfully I had already backed

    up
    > my photos onto my computer. So be warned, before using a digital photo
    > centre, earth yourself to discharge any static electricity before putting
    > the card anywhere near it.

    Or put em on a CD and take that along instead.

    Canongirly, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Daryl

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:58:26 GMT, "Justin Thyme"
    <> wrote:

    >"Daryl" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >And to think I went to put a 128MB CF card into one of those fuji Digital
    >Photo Centres, and a spark jumped about 1/4 inch from the card to the DPC
    >just as I was about to insert it. From that point on, the card was dead -
    >not even detected by camera or computer. Thankfully I had already backed up
    >my photos onto my computer. So be warned, before using a digital photo
    >centre, earth yourself to discharge any static electricity before putting
    >the card anywhere near it.

    []

    I had a high end video card zapped by an ignorant 'techy' who
    installed it in my machine under warrantee replacement - I offered him
    my own anti-static wrist strap but he declined saying it didn't
    matter.... Zap! It was a hot summer day, he ran up the nylon carpeted
    stairs & he was wearing rubber soled shoes... 50 kV+ discharging
    through the chips on the card.....

    On a warm/hot day with low humidity, the body static voltage can be
    several 10s of thousands of volts. As Daryl suggests, discharging the
    body voltage is important.

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Aug 1, 2004
  5. Daryl

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Donald Gray wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:58:26 GMT, "Justin Thyme"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Daryl" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3939333.stm
    >>>

    >>And to think I went to put a 128MB CF card into one of those fuji Digital
    >>Photo Centres, and a spark jumped about 1/4 inch from the card to the DPC
    >>just as I was about to insert it. From that point on, the card was dead -
    >>not even detected by camera or computer. Thankfully I had already backed up
    >>my photos onto my computer. So be warned, before using a digital photo
    >>centre, earth yourself to discharge any static electricity before putting
    >>the card anywhere near it.

    > []
    >
    > I had a high end video card zapped by an ignorant 'techy' who
    > installed it in my machine under warrantee replacement - I offered him
    > my own anti-static wrist strap but he declined saying it didn't
    > matter.... Zap! It was a hot summer day, he ran up the nylon carpeted
    > stairs & he was wearing rubber soled shoes... 50 kV+ discharging
    > through the chips on the card.....
    >
    > On a warm/hot day with low humidity, the body static voltage can be
    > several 10s of thousands of volts. As Daryl suggests, discharging the
    > body voltage is important.

    Those with experience in the field automatically ground their body
    charge before touching anything sensitive. It becomes a habit after a
    while.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 2, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    "Daryl" <> wrote:

    SM cards won't last long if you keep them in a wallet. The flexing
    eventually breaks the connections between the plastic frame and the
    ceramic chip.

    Another problem that they didn't mention is getting sand into the socket
    holes of a CF card. That will bend the camera's pins when it's inserted.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Aug 2, 2004
  7. Daryl

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Daryl" <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3939333.stm
    >>

    > SM cards won't last long if you keep them in a wallet. The flexing
    > eventually breaks the connections between the plastic frame and the
    > ceramic chip.
    >
    > Another problem that they didn't mention is getting sand into the socket
    > holes of a CF card. That will bend the camera's pins when it's inserted.

    And dropping an unexposed film cartridge (35 mm) into the sand would do
    what? Under almost any circumstande, film is less robust than a flash
    card, and it won't fit in your wallet!

    Ron Hunter, Aug 2, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > "Daryl" <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3939333.stm
    > >>

    > > SM cards won't last long if you keep them in a wallet. The flexing
    > > eventually breaks the connections between the plastic frame and the
    > > ceramic chip.
    > >
    > > Another problem that they didn't mention is getting sand into the socket
    > > holes of a CF card. That will bend the camera's pins when it's inserted.

    > And dropping an unexposed film cartridge (35 mm) into the sand would do
    > what? Under almost any circumstande, film is less robust than a flash
    > card, and it won't fit in your wallet!

    Yes, I wouldn't argue against that. It's just that memory cards still
    aren't worry free.

    I saw a Canon 300D at a camera store that had a smashed CF pin from a
    dirty or damaged memory card. What a shame. I think of all the times
    that I've bent computer monitor pins. Those are easy to fix but it
    would be a $$$$ loss on a high-end camera.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Aug 4, 2004