    so can I add an Olympus or Canon Lens to this, assuming that the thread is
    the same as the Fuji 55mm?

    Mick.
    Mick, Aug 17, 2003

  2. "Mick" <> writes:

    >Thanks for the reply Dave but I don't mean "Filters" I already have these. I
    >do mean a dedicated Macro Lens.

    No, you don't. A dedicated macro lens mounts on removable-lens camera
    *instead* of whatever lens is already there. The macro lens is the only
    glass present between the subject and sensor (either film or CCD). You
    can't remove the original lens from the 6900, so you can't put a macro
    lens on instead.

    Now for instance Fuji only make a 1.5x
    >Telephoto Lens but I permanently added a step down ring (58-55mm) to this
    >Lens and I'm now able to use a Olympus TCON17 1.7x in conjunction with the
    >Fuji 1.5x effectively giving me a range of 535 instead of 315. There is
    >slight vignetting but I can live with that.

    That's not a telephoto lens either. It's a "telephoto converter", which
    is really an afocal optical system that provides magnification but not
    focusing. It's easy to tell the difference: A telephoto lens forms a
    real image if held the proper distance from a screen, a telephoto
    converter does not. You can hold a telephoto converter up to your eye
    and look through it, and you'll see an image of far-away objects. If
    you try this with a telephoto lens, you won't be able to focus. And a
    telephoto lens is used on its own, while a telephoto converter is used
    in conjunction with another lens.

    > I'm wondering will a Dedicated Macro Lens work on the Fuji Camera using the
    >55mm adapter?

    What on earth do you mean by a "dedicated macro lens"? Can you point to
    a web page that shows what you're talking about?

    Again, you can't replace the original lens with a macro lens, you can
    only add additional stuff on the front. The usual method of taking
    closeups is to use closup lenses, which are mounted in filter mounts
    and screw into the filter ring.

    If you want to get even closer, you can take a surplus 35mm camera
    normal lens, turn it backwards, and mount it on your camera with a
    thread-to-thread adapter. This is really using the surplus camera lens
    as a +20 diopter closeup lens.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Mick

    Mick Guest

    Dave, Again thanks for replying and I think I've now got my head around
    things. It's a "Macro Converter" that I'm talking about. Your explanation
    is excellent and I'll check out the 35mm lens option,. I'd like to get
    really close up pictures if possible using the 6900 zoom. My apologies for
    my ignorance in not understanding your first explanation.

    Mick.

    Mick, Aug 18, 2003